Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 03:39 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I agree...I grew up in the south (southwestern virginia) and i currently live in arizona. I have to go to El Paso for work every couple of months or so and El Paso is very similar to Phoenix. Very catholic, very hispanic, and very very hot. Great food but hot as a mother!
El Paso might as well be an Eastern extension of NM or AZ.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:30 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,098,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'd say for most people, these are hallmark southern qualities:

- prevalence of southern accents among locals

- largely agricultural economy

- more baptists than any other denomination

- laid-back pace

- southern geographical location

- lower population density

- more politically conservative, generally

And these are northern:

- lack of southern accents among locals

- largely service, technological and/or industrial economy

- denominations other than baptist are the largest

- fast-pace of life

- northern geographical location

- higher population density

- more politically liberal, generally
More baptists than Catholics though is a trait that extends into the southern Midwest though, so in this case it would be appropriate to just call that a southern influence, since it's an influence that contrasts with the rest of the area. Also, I would say that much of the Midwest is politically conservative in the rural areas.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Just because you drove past Baltimore on I-95 does not make you an expert in changing the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State........

And Richmond does not look that much different than Baltimore.........
I've been to Baltimore and to Richmond. Both are as culturally and linguistically different as night and day. WHat are you going to do next, say that being to these cities isn't enough? Ok, I've been there multiple times and have relatives living in the area.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
To me, Maryland isn't Southern or Northeastern, more like....Mid-Atlantic. That's my humble opinion. .
I'd have to disagree. You're from Connecticut, which is New England. Maryland is not New England. MOst of it, however, save the parts south of D.C., is a lot like Delaware and southern Pennsylvania. These days, Maryland has a lot more traits like the Northeast than the south.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
More than likely that family member may have not been born in Maryland......
LOL! Now you're going to discredit positive proof you're wrong. Folks, I think we've got him cornered....

Old 09-07-2012, 06:40 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,022 times
What's up with city data's infatuation with the south?

Old 09-07-2012, 06:46 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
I would consider the South anywhere that was part of the former confederacy plus parts of Missouri, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Oklahoma. A small bit of Maryland and New Mexico could also possibly be included. The deep Antebellum South though is limited to Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and northern Florida and that's it. The remainder of Florida may have lost much of its Southern culture due to people migrating from the North, but historically its still Southern as it was part of the confederacy.

This map from Wikipedia shows where you will hear the Southern accent so I think its pretty safe to say this is the definition of the South.

You can't say urban areas in the South aren't Southern because they are more diverse and more educated. They may not be redneck but they are certainly still Southern.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I would consider the South anywhere that was part of the former confederacy plus parts of Missouri, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Oklahoma. A small bit of Maryland and New Mexico could also possibly be included. The deep Antebellum South though is limited to Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and northern Florida and that's it. The remainder of Florida may have lost much of its Southern culture due to people migrating from the North, but historically its still Southern as it was part of the confederacy.

This map from Wikipedia shows where you will hear the Southern accent so I think its pretty safe to say this is the definition of the South.

You can't say urban areas in the South aren't Southern because they are more diverse and more educated. They may not be redneck but they are certainly still Southern.
Redneck does not=southern. In any event, I agree with your map. That's a pretty precise definition of how I view the south as well.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:58 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,173,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Redneck does not=southern. In any event, I agree with your map. That's a pretty precise definition of how I view the south as well.
All but southern Illinois. It has traits but Illinois is NOT the south

Old 09-07-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
All but southern Illinois. It has traits but Illinois is NOT the south
Southern Illinois has certain parts of it which may as well be the south. Illinois I agree isn't southern, but to say it doesn't have parts which fit in very well with the south is being less than honest. Same with southern Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.