Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 11:12 AM

11 posts, read 11,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Sorry but your wife doesn't know much.

Chicago has TONS of parks and a 7 mile long park that is along the lakefront!

Chicago's bars close at 4am or 5am some at 3am.
Sorry to offend you, just offering my perspective.

I asked my wife and yes, every neighborhood does have a park, but Chicago is more densely populated and coming from the south, I'm used to more green space in general, with trails & hills.

As for the nightlife, again different perspective. You mentioned bars. As a black man, I was thinking clubs. Atlanta's night scene does seem to cater more to African-Americans, hence the nickname "Black Hollywood". So that's why my take would be different. But, I was misinformed about everything closing early, because from my wife's experience, they did house parties more than clubs.

Anyway, Chicago is without a doubt a great city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 12:29 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
houston will be hot/humid like 10 months a yr, someth to keep in mind
atl can get pretty hot too, but is milder and has 4 seasons
chicago gets cold in the winter and hot/humid in the summer, but not as hot, driving in snow is hard and inconvenient, also someth to keep in mind
More like 5 months out of the year that Houston is hot and humid. Mid May-early October is when you experience this. Though some years it can end in late September.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:57 PM

690 posts, read 963,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
More like 5 months out of the year that Houston is hot and humid. Mid May-early October is when you experience this. Though some years it can end in late September.
its like 5 months where im at in NJ so it has to be more than that in TX

Old 06-08-2013, 02:16 PM

36 posts, read 72,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUATL View Post
With a salary of 66k you will definitely be able to afford Vinings, with or without a roommate. As for below I-20, yes there is crime. A lot in certain areas. I listed the areas I would avoid. Of course crime is everywhere just less in Vinings than those areas.

As for the SW side where you have College Park and East Point, I mentioned those artists as a way of letting you know what the area is like, so you can judge if that's your cup of tea. Personally, you sound more like a Vikings kind of young lady.
I watched a video for the Vinings area and it does look like somewhere I'd like. It seems like the video was saying it wasn't to far from the Silver Comet Trail you mentioned and not to far from food places or shopping. Seems like a very nice area.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:24 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
5 months in jersey? It's only 4 here in DC. Usually in Texas, the humidity is not as strong in mid October as it was in say late August. It's 85 on October 21st but its a very comfortable 85. Same in early May. It's 80 but breezy and comfortable.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:34 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Clearly, it depends on how you're defining "hot and humid", and I doubt the average person would say that Jersey is that way for 5 months.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:35 PM

690 posts, read 963,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Clearly, it depends on how you're defining "hot and humid", and I doubt the average person would say that Jersey is that way for 5 months.
may-late sept it gets hot enough where you feel the humidity and its uncomfortable
people who live on the west coast or wherever there is no humidity will agree

Old 06-08-2013, 09:44 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
houston will be hot/humid like 10 months a yr, someth to keep in mind
atl can get pretty hot too, but is milder and has 4 seasons
chicago gets cold in the winter and hot/humid in the summer, but not as hot, driving in snow is hard and inconvenient, also someth to keep in mind
That's just not true. Houston is hot June to September. You should not just lie when someone is seeking pertinent info.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:47 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner016 View Post
Wow thanks for all the information! I like how you gave Chicago props too even though you live in Houston . With the job I'm going to have I would be making around 66K a year (I'm in the medical field). Do yo you how high with that salary I could go on rent for an apartment in Houston? I think I might try to find a roommate where ever I decide to move also. I like plays too do the show a lot of them?
You are welcome. 66k is more than comfortable territory for Houston you won't need a roommate at all, but I have found the transition is easier if you don't do it alone.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:29 PM

494 posts, read 804,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Agreed. Plus some years it has been known to be cooler with decent breaks from the heat and humidity. Same cannot be said for Houston or even Atlanta for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That's just not true. Houston is hot June to September. You should not just lie when someone is seeking pertinent info.
Per here says otherwise..Official climo data. National Weather Service Climate

For most 85+ with humidity is uncomfortable aka hot unless you are going for a swim. Thus i would say May till Mid Oct is pretty hot.

Atlanta is not as bad as Houston but still pretty hot ( for 4 months ) by most standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.