Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 02:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's rigid. My opinion is that Maryland is an outlier compared to other Northeastern states, it's not typical south, but lack a lot of the characteristics that make the Northeast distinctive. Someone from Texas might not notice as much, but to me: NYC area, obviously northeastern. Upstate NY: ok, rural/ small city Northeast (except maybe the western most parts), New England, northeastern. Philly, a bit different but still can see a lot of parelells with Boston and NYC. Maryland and DC? Not the stereotypically southern, but doesn't feel northeast the same way. If Northeast = not southern and on the east coast that it fits (except for the African-American history which is hard to ignore). If Northeast is something more specific, not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 03:36 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,246,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
They may or may not. Who knows? And yet there are some who seem to feel there is a definitive and official designation of which states comprise "the northeast." Then it seems if any other poster should offer views that somehow differ from those of these "absolutists," what follows are pages of (sometimes) emotional posts overflowing with with facts and stats (related and not related to the topic) and opinions masquerading as facts, all in some apparent attempt to demonstrate that theirs is the official and final say on the matter. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be.

So, it just seems to me, if there were some sort of "official position about where the regional boundaries are" (to use your words), that the Times would be on top of it. If the Times is unspecific on this matter (as you seem to be implying), I wonder why others here on CD see this so rigidly?
No, there is no official position on regional boundaries. Perhaps the Times is relying on maps drawn up by Ahmed Chalabi?

Old 08-15-2014, 03:43 PM

27,570 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
So, it just seems to me, if there were some sort of "official position about where the regional boundaries are" (to use your words), that the Times would be on top of it. If the Times is unspecific on this matter (as you seem to be implying), I wonder why others here on CD see this so rigidly?
It is because some people feel uncomfortable with the fact that there is so much growth and prosperity in Washington DC and its surrounding areas in modern times. I think they feel caught off guard by it, as if it wasn't supposed to happen this way. They thought the cards were stacked differently.

It has caused a kind of mental whiplash in people's perceptions of things. :-)

Old 08-15-2014, 03:47 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is because some people feel uncomfortable with the fact that there is so much growth and prosperity in Washington DC and its surrounding areas in modern times. I think they feel caught off guard by it, as if it wasn't supposed to happen this way.
No, as said earlier I don't think wealth makes a place Northeastern. Washington DC is richer than any other place in the Northeast anyway.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:29 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is because some people feel uncomfortable with the fact that there is so much growth and prosperity in Washington DC and its surrounding areas in modern times.
And this makes it "northeastern" how exactly?

Old 08-15-2014, 04:55 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,121 times
Quote:
Looks like the NY Times places DE, MD and WV in the northeast: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...were-born.html

Here's another: ". . . and put Virginia on a path to be the first Southern state to allow same-sex marriage." (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/24/us...rd=relbias%3Ar). This implies by default that DE and MD, already with same-sex marriage, are not southern.

Debate that.
Maryland and Delaware are Southern States despite opposing Narrow Minded Opinions....

Old 08-15-2014, 04:57 PM

622 posts, read 949,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Maryland and Delaware are Southern States despite opposing Narrow Minded Opinions....
No way New Jersey would border a southern state.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:23 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
These aren't my words - they're the New York Times'. Protesting them here isn't gonna change anything. I think you'll need to write a letter to the editor.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:08 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
No way New Jersey would border a southern state.
So?

The line has to be drawn somewhere!

Old 08-15-2014, 06:25 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,130 times
Whatever happened to that poster from St. Louis who was adamant that Baltimore and Washington were northeastern and that Buffalo and Pittsburgh weren't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.