Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 12:31 AM

127 posts, read 123,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Not true at all, most people of Hispanic descent seem to get along regardless of their country of ancestry.
not true

a huge number of hispanics HATE being called Mexican and getting lumped with Mexicans is highly disliked by a lot

now that doesnt mean they hate Mexicans, it just means they don't want to be lumped with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 12:32 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marble-ky View Post
Colombians aren't that mestizo, many look either white, black or multiracial. you can tell colombians from Mexicans or Ecuadorians right away!!! Colombians if anything look more like mixed race people while Mexicans will have a more Native American look to them.

Ecuadorians and Peruvians are native Americans but Peru has a huge number of Asian descendants and many Peruvians are actually white.
I've met a ton of Colombians and all of them were mestizo! In fact, the Colombian people I know would not stand out in Mexico or Ecuador at all.

Mexicans tend to be mestizo too, here in New York they tend to lean indigenous in appearance, though. But in most of the US, Mexicans tend to be mestizo looking.

Quote:
not true

a huge number of hispanics HATE being called Mexican and getting lumped with Mexicans is highly disliked by a lot

now that doesnt mean they hate Mexicans, it just means they don't want to be lumped with them.
They don't like being mistakenly called Mexican if they're not Mexican, but Hispanics very much identify with other Hispanics in general. There is certainly a pan-Hispanic identity in the US.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I've met a ton of Colombians and all of them were mestizo! In fact, the Colombian people I know would not stand out in Mexico or Ecuador at all.

No you are wrong!

colombians have african blood a lot of white blood and a certain physical appearance that sets them apart from mexicans and ecuadorians.

if you visit colombia you'll see far more white and black people than you will ever see in mexico and ecuador!

mexicans look meso-american and indo-mestizo, and ecuatorians are quite incan with stocky bodies and very interesting nose shapes (the famous incan nose) (exceptions exist)

colombians are more multiracial you can even see in the form of their bodies the african influence with rounder booties and more curvy.

Colombians

mexicans

ecuadorians

Last edited by marble-ky; 02-26-2017 at 09:42 PM..

Old 02-26-2017, 09:43 PM

Before you try to school me about countries I regularly visit, at least make sure you know what you're talking about!

Old 02-27-2017, 12:59 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,820,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Studies have shown that 4th and sometimes 3rd generation hispanics begin labeling themselves as white. So yes, over time hispanics will begin identifying with whites
Yet the opposite seems to be happening. Before the census designated Hispanic as an ethnicity in the 70s many Hispanics perceived themselves as white while the black minority such as Afro-Cubans thought of themselves as black. Today many Hispanics think of themselves as a separate race and some will be offended if you tell them they are white. But even the Census bureau doesn't say Hispanic is a race, it's an ethnicity. There are both Hispanic whites and non-Hispanic whites.

I do agree that by the third and fourth generation Hispanics are very similar to non-Hispanic whites...to the point where they culturally have more in common with non-Hispanic whites than new immigrants from Mexico or other Latin countries. I know a Hispanic girl who can't speak a word of Spanish...her grandmother can't speak a word of English. They have lived together for years but have never had a conversation with each other. That's an extreme case but it goes to show. That same girl is dating and will likely marry a non-Hispanic white man.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:20 AM

368 posts, read 453,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Yet the opposite seems to be happening. Before the census designated Hispanic as an ethnicity in the 70s many Hispanics perceived themselves as white while the black minority such as Afro-Cubans thought of themselves as black. Today many Hispanics think of themselves as a separate race and some will be offended if you tell them they are white. But even the Census bureau doesn't say Hispanic is a race, it's an ethnicity. There are both Hispanic whites and non-Hispanic whites.

I do agree that by the third and fourth generation Hispanics are very similar to non-Hispanic whites...to the point where they culturally have more in common with non-Hispanic whites than new immigrants from Mexico or other Latin countries. I know a Hispanic girl who can't speak a word of Spanish...her grandmother can't speak a word of English. They have lived together for years but have never had a conversation with each other. That's an extreme case but it goes to show. That same girl is dating and will likely marry a non-Hispanic white man.

makes a little sense tho, as the vast majority of them are mixed, Mestizo from Mexico/Central America and Mulatto from the Spanish Caribbean (Puerto Rico & Dominican Republic). Few are purely white, native, or black. But for the most part they are just confused and dont know how to identify in a new land with different "social norms", coming from a mixed Mestizo or mulatto country to a country where everybody is either white or black, with a dash of self hate (thinking "white is better" when they arent fully white themselves but mixed), so the government and society puts this new Hispanic/Latino label on anybody in the US with roots from Spanish speaking countries regardless of race and they just blindly run with it.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:51 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
No. Most do not look white and there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
No you are wrong!

colombians have african blood a lot of white blood and a certain physical appearance that sets them apart from mexicans and ecuadorians.

if you visit colombia you'll see far more white and black people than you will ever see in mexico and ecuador!

mexicans look meso-american and indo-mestizo, and ecuatorians are quite incan with stocky bodies and very interesting nose shapes (the famous incan nose) (exceptions exist)

colombians are more multiracial you can even see in the form of their bodies the african influence with rounder booties and more curvy.

Colombians

mexicans

ecuadorians
There are a lot of Afro-Colombians but I haven't met any here in New York yet. Still, there are many mestizos from Colombia and most of them that I've seen would not stand out in say, Mexico City.

There is a lot of variation within the countries we're talking about.

Also I've been to Ecuador and the indigenous peoples vary in appearance depending on whether you're in the coast or the mountains.

Edit: I just saw your post about the rounder booties lol. I've seen quite a few Colombian chicks and they tend to be pretty, but their butts are usually average.

Last edited by l1995; 02-27-2017 at 12:53 PM..

Old 02-27-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broscoe View Post
In Miami you find a considerable amount of diversity with the hispanics.
I have seen white Colombians, black cubans, Arab origin Venezuelans, Jewish Argentines, Asian Panamanians and so on.

Once you get out of Miami, hispanics turn more Mexican and what America interprets as Hispanic becomes very Mexican.

This is what I have experienced though.
Add the Northeast and Washington DC area to that.

I live in a suburb of NYC and here there are plenty of Central Americans, South Americans, Puerto Ricans, and Dominicans, but very few Mexicans.

There are a lot of Mexicans in NYC proper though, but they're only the third largest Hispanic group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
No. Most do not look white and there is nothing wrong with that.
Exactly.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:35 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
This is so funny, in Massachusetts and Rhode Island most of the Hispanics are so dark people often times consider them black without realizing they are talking about Dominicans/Puerto Ricans. People assume they are Cape Verdean who are black. When you get out to Western Mas and Connecticut most of the Hispanics are Puerto Rican and look more classically Latino/Rican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.