Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 12:47 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Probably due to weather and perception of those areas.
The premise is false. Prices aren't lower in Ohio or Indiana compared to the South.

And "they" are going to these places. Indiana is the fastest growing Midwest state. Ohio is growing and more populous than any of the Southern states, excepting Florida, whose populous parts are basically a hybrid of the Carribean and NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 12:49 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Growth rates typically slow as the baseline population increases. So, to use growth rates as some sort of validation that sunbelt states have their best days behind them is foolish.
It's also foolish to use region-wide or even statewide statistics about economic mobility, poverty rates, etc. as a similar presumed validation.
The reality is that sunbelt state growth is VERY targeted to key metropolitan areas and, as driven by our nation's politics, is the manifestation of our economic policies. The gap between the halves and halve-nots is widening. Certain metropolitan areas in the sunbelt are growing economically while the non-metropolitan areas are suffering. Even in fast growing places like Florida, Georgia and North Carolina, most of the growth is centered around key metros (Miami/Tampa Bay/Orlando/Atlanta/Charlotte/Raleigh) while many counties in those states continue to lose population. Because the South (in particular) has had a much more rural populace in many decades past, this dynamic is playing out to a greater extent than it is in Rustbelt states where population is more urban and growth is much slower.
The areas that are growing are not the culturally deprived, economically depressed wastelands that many on this forum hope them to be and it's foolish to keep ones blinders on to their ascendence.
Very good post and I will also say that governmental dynamics in terms of taxation for services will be something to keep an eye on in the not so distant future.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:00 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I get that an MBA from Columbia is nothing compared to your backwoods coon-skinning smarts, but, again, please point us to a source that indicates the Census data on wealth is false. Put up or shut up.

Nice! Very intelligent response there. That shows how much knowledge you actually have. Keep talking. I love to see ignorance exposed.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:07 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
The premise is false. Prices aren't lower in Ohio or Indiana compared to the South.

And "they" are going to these places. Indiana is the fastest growing Midwest state. Ohio is growing and more populous than any of the Southern states, excepting Florida, whose populous parts are basically a hybrid of the Carribean and NYC.

Did they fail to inform you that Texas is "the south?"

The top ten states with population growth.

1. Texas
2. California
3. Florida
4. Georgia
5. Arizona
6. North Carolina
7. Washington
8. Colorado
9. South Carolina
10. Virginia

6 out of 10 are "southern states."

Last edited by Scotty011; 12-28-2014 at 01:23 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 01:18 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Ohio is growing and more populous than any of the Southern states, excepting Florida, whose populous parts are basically a hybrid of the Caribbean and NYC.
Try saying this to a Floridian living outside of SE Florida. They will laugh in your face.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:20 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
And I hope you don't have an occupation that requires logical reasoning.

"My home in Alabama is more expensive than a home I saw in in Ohio, therefore the South overall is more expensive than the North".
I said real estate, not a single house. I've looked at hundreds of homes in the Midwest over the past few years, and when it comes to acreage and square footage many of them are VERY affordable compared to what I see here.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I get that an MBA from Columbia is nothing compared to your backwoods coon-skinning smarts
This tells everyone all they need to know about where you are coming from...

Old 12-28-2014, 01:29 PM

34 posts, read 34,479 times
I have no opinion for any demographic outside of young wealthy people with no kids.

Not a single person I know wants to move to the South. Those of a particularly conservative political bent- myself included- enjoy getting a good whine in about West Coast governing. But we never express a desire to leave. Only a desire to change it more to our liking.

Agreeable weather vs humidity and (usually) chilly winters. Dry climate with few bugs vs insect heaven. Some of the most beautiful, diverse coast line in the world. Dry-weather mountains in one direction, ocean in another. Culturally advanced ie, trend starting still almost always happens on the West Coast from tech to fashion (NYC the obvious caveat). Drive from San Diego to Seattle and you're hitting a world class city every few hours. Compare that to the East Coast. There is no comparison.

The odds of meeting super ambitious, intelligent, forward-thinking people at a coffee shop in any major west coast city and creating something from scratch are outstanding. It happens every day. Your odds of doing that in Atlanta et al are roughly zero. Class-jumping in the South is nearly impossible. Creativity is not high; it's mostly old money. Religion still stifles a lot of scientific, forward thinking. It's a cliche because it's true.

If I was middle class, had geographic options across the country I would probably live in the South. But it would be a value proposition- nothing more.

If that is the argument being presented I accept and agree with it. If it's this fantasy that rich people with entrepreneurial spirit are moving to the South in droves.. no.

Last edited by kangaroooo; 12-28-2014 at 02:01 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroooo View Post
The odds of meeting super ambitious, intelligent, forward-thinking people at a coffee shop in any major west coast city and creating something from scratch are outstanding. It happens every day. Your odds of doing that in Atlanta et al are roughly zero. Class-jumping in the South is nearly impossible. Creativity is not high; it's mostly old money. Religion still stifles a lot of scientific, forward thinking. It's a cliche because it's true.
This was a great post, until you veered off into this alternate reality. You are so far off I don't even know where to begin...

Old 12-28-2014, 01:59 PM

34 posts, read 34,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This was a great post, until you veered off into this alternate reality. You are so far off I don't even know where to begin...
I accept that. I'm basing this on several 3 month working stints in several southern cities, several vacations, and the overall landscape of successful new technology/tech start-ups. This makes me something very far from an expert, I know.

If a huge glut of successful Southern start-ups rivaled start-ups from LA to SF to Portland to Seattle I would have heard about it. But perhaps my perspective is too narrow in singling out the fields I care about most, and know the most about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.