Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 02:20 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I was looking objectively rather than subjectively. I don't mind those temperatures, but I'm trying to think of the comfort of the average person wearing a business suit at mid day. Also keep in mind that when say Phoenix has a high of 80°, we have a dewpoint in the 30's usually, while a high of 80° in Houston during spring or fall usually has a dewpoint of 60°+; big difference.

I can take it, but if you are wearing a business suit, you are going to sweat into it at temps over 75° if it isn't bone dry out.

I'm also thinking in terms of climate control. I remember in the Spring of 2014, I waited until May 10th to turn on my Air Conditioning, and my apartment got to over 90° (it was bad). And that was with an April that had highs in the mid 80's to mid 90's and lows in the 60's and with low humidity too, dewpoints in the 20's and 30's
April in Houston is extremely pleasant. Humidity or no humidity. Doesn't really get bad until mid-May.

Honestly, June-Mid September in Houston with the peak in August is where it is most uncomfortable. Think I can handle it now the older I get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 08:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
That's fall in most places. Again, it was in the 90's in Corpus a few days ago
Corpus Christi is very, very far south. I don't live there. I don't live anywhere near there.

I love this Texas winter weather forecast. I don't care what other people call it. It's a Texas winter to me, and I think it's great. Cold nights and cool days. Lots of sun. Love it!

Old 01-25-2017, 12:04 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
In cold weather climates wintertime is synonymous with your harshest weather conditions.
In the desert our harshest weather conditions occur in June, July and August.
Hense in Arizona our wintertime is exactly the opposite of cold weather climates.
Once the rest of the country figured that out , Phoenix has to the sixth largest ( Soon to be 5th ) city in these United Sates of Amaaaica...
Except in Flagstaff. Which is a beautiful area and probably the only Arizona location that I could live-in long-term since I hate extreme heat.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:05 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,530 times
Not a fan of extreme weather hot or cold so I would say Buffalo, Twin Cities, New Orleans, Houston. Not a fan of Miami weather even thou I live here.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
We aren't giant sissies? Temperature isn't the most important thing in life?

It was the #1 producer of flour in the US for like 100 years. St Anthony Falls in Minneapolis had like 15 flour mills (Pillsbury, Gold Medal etc). All the wheat from SD, ND and Canada was processed there. A little river called the Mississippi allowed this to travel south and to the rest of the country.

Also, up until the 1950s it was the SOUTH that was unbearable for human habitation. The explosion in the Sunbelt cities is tied to indoor AC. You can always warm yourself with fire (Northern cities like NY, CHI, Boston, MSP). Without electricity and freon very few people would prefer living in Houston or Phoenix over Minneapolis.
You are right. The heat and humidity down South is unbearable. The cold is easier to manage. I spent every summer as a teen on the Oklahoma/Arkansas border near Ft. Smith, Arkansas, and it was miserable weather-wise. But it was pretty and green.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott53051 View Post
Houston
Average High °F

JAN - 62.9
FEB - 66.3
MAR - 73.0
APR - 79.6
MAY - 86.3
JUN - 91.4
JUL - 93.7
AUG - 94.5
SEP - 89.7
OCT - 82.0
NOV - 72.5
DEC - 64.3

Average highs within 20 degrees of 75 F the entire year looks pretty darn good.
The humidity is what makes it a deal breaker.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:23 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
The humidity is what makes it a deal breaker.
Totally agree. 90 degrees in Louisville or Houston is not like 90 in Phoenix or Vegas. The high temp/humidity values make me feel like I'm smothering or breathing in a vaporizer. I know it's all personal preference. Mostly determined by what you're used to. Living in the arid west all of my 60 years, it would take a while for me to get used to Florida or the Carolinas.

Although I hear that with rapid growth in Phoenix, along came the planted grasses, trees, watering and artificial lakes, it can get fairly humid now and again.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Totally agree. 90 degrees in Louisville or Houston is not like 90 in Phoenix or Vegas. The high temp/humidity values make me feel like I'm smothering or breathing in a vaporizer. I know it's all personal preference. Mostly determined by what you're used to. Living in the arid west all of my 60 years, it would take a while for me to get used to Florida or the Carolinas.

Although I hear that with rapid growth in Phoenix, along came the planted grasses, trees, watering and artificial lakes, it can get fairly humid now and again.
Even here in Southern California we have been getting more summertime humidity than I recall as a kid. I remember the summers being warm and sometimes hot, but I don't recall it ever being humid. It's not Southern-style humidity, but it gets humid enough to make things uncomfortable (I live about 8 miles from the beach, so I'm not really inland). I used to remember more June Bugs flying around in summer, too, but I hardly notice any at all now. (Whether that is due to humidity increases or climate change I don't know).

Are you in Colorado Springs?

Colorado is nice. I have family all over the state, from Denver to Trinidad, and I think it would be a nice place to live. Pueblo is too much like a desert, so I wouldn't like it there. But the high elevations throughout most of the state mitigate much of the heat and humidity, which is ideal in my book. But some people say it's too dry and not humid enough. I never stayed long enough to notice.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:50 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Corpus Christi is very, very far south. I don't live there. I don't live anywhere near there.

I love this Texas winter weather forecast. I don't care what other people call it. It's a Texas winter to me, and I think it's great. Cold nights and cool days. Lots of sun. Love it!
Texas is a very big state. It includes Corpus, and Tyler.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:27 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,262,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Not a fan of extreme weather hot or cold so I would say Buffalo, Twin Cities, New Orleans, Houston. Not a fan of Miami weather even thou I live here.
No snow here and the temps have mild for your info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.