Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2019, 10:40 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I am looking to move back to Upper Midwest or northern New England. I hate the heat and humidity with a passion and excessive amounts of rain all year in the South. I also miss the snow, four seasons, and lakes of the north. Quality of life is better overall in a number of categories the North based on my personal experience, but some metro areas are better than others overall. Regardless, I have a couple of areas in the Northwoods picked out for retirement, so will move back one day.
If you are open to it and given what you’ve mentioned, counties in NY like Lewis and Essex, offer lower taxes and a similar rural/small town vibe. You are still close enough to cities for more. Just a thought in terms of more options...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 02:06 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Are you considering Indiana the South?
Yea, southern Indiana closer to the Ohio River is more southern than northern, but aligns much more with the South in terms of climate in particular.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you are open to it and given what you’ve mentioned, counties in NY like Lewis and Essex, offer lower taxes and a similar rural/small town vibe. You are still close enough to cities for more. Just a thought in terms of more options...
I have considered the area around Lake Placid and Saranac Lake, but they don't really have many options there in my career field. Not interested in Lewis county in the Tug Hill Plateau region, mainly because of the economics and demographics of the area. I wouldn't discount the Adriondacks but it would have to be a very good opportunity given the higher cost of living and tax burden of northern NY.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:47 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,850,035 times
Quote:
Yea, southern Indiana closer to the Ohio River is more southern than northern, but aligns much more with the South in terms of climate in particular.
That’s fine and all, but you don’t live in the South so you won’t be leaving the South when you move closer to Canada.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:49 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
and politically, I would imagine?

Old 01-05-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
That’s fine and all, but you don’t live in the South so you won’t be leaving the South when you move closer to Canada.
I will be leaving a more culturally southern area to an area that is not culturally southern at all, so quite a difference. As long as I leave behind the vast majority of any heat and humidity that will be satisfactory.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
and politically, I would imagine?
The southern Indiana counties near the Ohio River are generally Republican overall, Louisville proper on the other side of the river is generally Democratic- although it trends substantially Republican in all outlying areas for the most part.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:52 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,721,547 times
Well, for starters, people generally do not leave Florida because it is “too hot.” That includes native-born residents and transplants from “up North.”

Instead, people leave Florida because salaries and wages are low and non-competitive relative to the cost-of-living, which is deceptively high.

Also, it is very challenging for a careerist in Florida to advance in his or her career field without moving out of state. Sadly, there is a low volume of quality, reputable employers throughout most of the state.

Remember, economics is always the primary catalyst for relocation after school.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:58 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Guilty. I'm from Chicago, moved to Atlanta and then moved back to Chicago. I much prefer the North with the change of seasons and a real winter w/ snow. I was miserable down south with the never ending heat/humidity. Plus, it never felt like home. Much happier now that I'm back North.
That's nice.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:09 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,850,035 times
I can’t wait for someone from Cincy to announce they are forsaking the South and moving back up North to Cleveland. I kid, I kid. But seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.