Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US variation of pizza has the best taste
New York-style 143 50.35%
Chicago-style 92 32.39%
St. Louis-style 20 7.04%
New Haven-style 29 10.21%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 06:48 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,070,967 times

Advertisements

I like a deep dish pizza, the kind you cant pick up. But what ever kind of pizza you prefer, remember that pizza is a lot like sex ! Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 07:48 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,030,489 times
Im dont know where to find a chicago style pizza in Albuquerque but there are plenty of places to get NY style pizza here since many New Yorkers have made the move here.

I have never heard of new Haven style but I will take New Mexican style with green chile

Old 07-17-2008, 07:56 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

That's why the coal fired brick ovens make pizza you can't replicate in a gas fired "pizza oven" no matter how hard you try. You just end up with a burnt pizza, and I can assure you, these pizzas do not taste "burnt" That's a big piece of New Haven Style Pizza. (New York to in many regards.)
There is a place on Grand Ave. in Chicago (not too far away from where I live) simply called Coalfire Pizza. It is quite good and I've eaten there twice, and yes, they use a coal fired oven, pretty tasty stuff, and nothing 'burnt' about it.

edit: oh, and JViello I watched that video. Us White Sox fans simply have more sense

Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Us White Sox fans simply have more sense
Hah, I knew I liked the cut of your jib.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:04 PM

655 posts, read 2,183,798 times
New York-style, for sure.

I'm a bit biased. lol

Old 07-17-2008, 10:20 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Your first mistake is assuming that I have never had a mouth full of cheese...your second is that I have never had real deep dish pizza. The 7 years of visting in-laws in IL must have been a dream.

Your third mistake is not accepting the fact that you have never had a "white clam pizza" but say "gross". (There is a hint 6 words back that you are about to get schooled on...)

See, you are clueless.

1. There is no tomato sauce on the WHITE clam pizza.

2. There is no cheese on the white clam pizza. (Okay a little fresh grated cheese...but no "cheese" like you mean.)

3. I'm willing to bet you've never had a fresh shucked and properly cooked clam. (Maybe I'm only 2 out of 3 but we can't be perfect all the time. ) Pepe's doesn't use gross canned clams...they come in fresh from the shore about 600 feet away and are shucked fresh for the pizzas in the restaurant.

Here watch the Roadfood video again so you don't sound so clueless:

Roadfood: Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana

If you had said "tried it don't like it". Fine.

But to come on, bash the hades out of something you've not only never tasted...but never even seen or smelled is TRUE ignorance.

To further the discussion a little bit...there is more to "New Haven Pizza" than Pepe's. I'm actually a fan of Sally's sauce a little more than Peps (http://sallysapizza.net/default.aspx) (broken link)...and nothing beat heading over to Libby's after a good pie as well.

You dont' think New Haven Pizza has a following? LOL

Here is a video of a guy who FLEW his small plane several hundred miles just for a Pepe's pizza! LOL

YouTube - NEW HAVEN PIZZA FLIGHT

Edit: Notice the White Sox hoodie he is wearing too. Hint hint...

This is a Sally's pie.

http://sallysapizza.net/images/100_0120.JPG (broken link)

But again, what do I know...
What part of "I dont like clams in the first place" dont you understand?

Old 07-17-2008, 11:22 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,577,021 times
St. Louis style pizza, thank you very much! Had friends from Mass. visiting. They loved our pizza. Local pub had the best thin crust w/lots of meat. Cheese was NOT provolone. Also have eaten pizza from many local pubs/taverns/bars. The best. Never any provolone. Don't know what everyone is talking about there. Chicago pizza is good also.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:57 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,565 times
NY/New Haven style is traditional and the best.
Chicago style is a midwestern concoction that is a bit nauseating. Man, I know a lot of chubby midwesterners.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:06 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
NY/New Haven style is traditional and the best.
Chicago style is a midwestern concoction that is a bit nauseating. Man, I know a lot of chubby midwesterners.
Like the Midwesterners who shudder at the thought of white clam pizza because they never have had it, I'd venture to say you've probably never had a good stuffed Chicago pizza done right. Even as someone who prefers a thin crust pie, I can appreciate a good stuffed one.

However, if you've had it done wrong, then I can understand your impression, a poorly done stuffed pizza or a poorly done deep dish is a disgusting mess, but done right, it a pretty tasty treat (that you only want to have on rare occasions).

I really feel the need to reiterate again that most Chicagoans eat thin crust pizza, I know that we are known for the deep dish and stuffed variety around the US, but it is a very rare thing at a party that anyone orders a deep dish pizza, or suggests eating at a deep dish joint unless a tourist is around and wants to. The last time I had deep-dish was when some of my family came in from New England and they specifically requested we have some.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:10 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
St. Louis style pizza, thank you very much! Had friends from Mass. visiting. They loved our pizza. Local pub had the best thin crust w/lots of meat. Cheese was NOT provolone. Also have eaten pizza from many local pubs/taverns/bars. The best. Never any provolone.
The "cheese" is provel, and it is disgusting IMO. The FDA doesn't even recognize it as real cheese, it is a faux cheese. It is a hybrid of provolone, cheddar, and swiss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.