Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 09:58 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
You have not ever been to the state of Maryland/Delaware if you have to ask such a question..........

The only places in Maryland/Delaware that looks anything like Pennsylvania/New Jersey would be Baltimore, Wilmington, and Montgomery County other than that Maryland/Delaware has more in common with Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, and Florida.....

I have not been to Tennessee and there are parts of Baltimore County that looks like parts of Columbia, SC and Maryland Eastern Shore in common with Eastern Souther Carolina between Florence and Myrtle Beach.......
Urban and suburban Maryland and Delaware have far more in common with Pennsylvania and New Jersey than they do with South Carolina or Tennessee. Rural Maryland and Delaware may have more in common with locales further south, but even saying that is somewhat of a stretch.

Driving, talking, and walking fast; as well as liberalism, the lack of religion, and opposition towards the Second Amendment; are not traits of true Southerners, my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Wow...first off, take your medication. Second off, most of Maryland and Delaware have more of a cultural, demographic, political, and linguistic affiliation to New Jersey and Pennsylvania than to Virginia FROM A MODERN STANDPOINT. I agree that if you factor in things like pre-Civil history, this becomes a much grayer area. But I would never, EVER associate most of Maryland and Delaware with the south from a modern standpoint. Baltimore and D.C. have a lot more in common with Philly than with Richmond. And also, Delaware and Maryland are such small states, and NOVA more like the Northeast than the south, that to say Richmond is a better comparison is just truly ridiculous. I will add that I have relatives who live in Washington D.C. who are very familiar with Maryland and Delaware. Both agree that the rest of Virginia outside of NOVA is not like the majority of MD and DE. MD and DE are Northeastern for all intents and purposes from a modern standpoint.
Medicine? I told you it wasnt a rant.I guess you not hearin me. MID-ATLANTIC is not the REGIONAL South or NORTH it is the Mid-Atlantic. Nova is NOTHING like the Northeast...people maybe moving there from the Northeast...just as Southern Blacks moved into Harlem it didnt make NY the South/New Orleans all of sudden. A Black Virginian,James Weeks, built Weeksville, Brooklyn ,NY for Southern Blacks and freed Ny slaves...didnt make it the South though...that might explain why I get along with Brooklynites better than any other NYers though.

You may have relatives who live in DC, but I have relatives who live in all 3 corners of Philly, DC, W BMore, Salisbury Area, DE, DELMARVA, Roanoke, Tappahannock, Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Chesapeake for decades and centuries. And I have frequented these areas all my life. Most of DelMarVA is classified as having a "Tidewater" accent. Lotta Africans and Hispanics recently populating that sprawl from DC to BMO, So what type of people are we talkin about (transplants/foreigners)? Alot of those Black people in Baltimore have family or came from the Shore. And Baltimore does not talk like Philly...they have maybe 2 - 3 words in common. And as far as the delusion of "some" people of the entire Mid-Atlantic not wanting to be associated with the "backwards-country slavery practicing South" theyll say they from "Up-Top" or some other clown ish...some of them dudes dont even know or want to except reallity because "it isnt cool". What culture? What Demographic? DC/PG and Baltimore are NOTORIOUS for pointing out how theyre not alike. NoVA is just glad to be a part of the click by default. Richmond and DC used to have ALOT in common from what I remember...more than Richmond and HR. I guess Richmond mustve said to themselves they can stand on their own two and have their own identity...if so good for them. Yet and still we all use similiar words, go to similiar schools (HBCUs), and exchange several things. Plenty of folks from Philly and Baltimore round here including some of my family. Some in Richmond cause they "claim" its more like "up north"...whatever. Plenty of my Maryland fam livin up in Philly.

Again, this is not a rant.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 01-03-2013 at 11:35 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Mexicans????
LMAO.

I know we call all Central Americans "mexicans", but I think the ones in DE might be Ecuadorian/Guatemalans and the ones in PG/NoVa are Salvadorian. Why since George Bush JR. they all decided to come out here , I do not know. But since we arent really familiar with these folks Im sure they will continued to all be called Mexican.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Its already proven that he/she has NEVER step foot into the state of MAryland; it is nothing but of a bunch of stereotypical gibberish BS..........
hmmm...

Old 01-04-2013, 10:42 PM

94 posts, read 236,538 times
Quote:
HUGE RED FLAG!!!!!!!

That right there proves the theory that a lot of people from certain areas of the deep south Really HATE the state of Maryland for reasons of False Pride, Arrogance, and Bitterness..........
What? I by no means "hate" Maryland. In fact, I quite like it. I have several friends from Maryland whom I also like. But they are NOT culturally southern - and they'll be the first to tell you so. If people from Maryland and DC don't identify as Southern, why force that label on them? Especially when they don't actually rsemble the south in culture AT ALL. My friends from Maryland much more identified and related to our friends from Pennsylvania than me, from Kentucky.

But maybe I should be clear here in that "southern" to me is way more about culture than location. The Mason-Dixon line has nothing to do with it. I don't even consider certain parts of NoVa southern. Or some parts of my home state, Kentucky, which are more like Ohio. It's about culture, not location, and Maryland is NOT southern in that regard.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:26 AM

270 posts, read 260,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeplinger View Post
Or some parts of my home state, Kentucky, which are more like Ohio.
I see Ohio, especially southern Ohio, being more like Kentucky.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil Fools View Post
I see Ohio, especially southern Ohio, being more like Kentucky.
Well, the parts that border each other are very similar. But if you headed down to more southern parts of KY, you'd notice a big cultural difference between those parts of KY and northern KY, near Cincinnati. To me, that area feels more like the midwest than the south. The accent, even, is quite a bit different.

At least, that's what I've observed. Actually, when you look at the Wikipedia article about the "South" that's actually discussed specifically. Along with the Maryland debate.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:21 AM

The folks I have met from Southern Ohio all had a heavy southern accent. Any place where the use of "You'uns" or "You all" rather than "You" to me is southern.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil Fools View Post
The folks I have met from Southern Ohio all had a heavy southern accent. Any place where the use of "You'uns" or "You all" rather than "You" to me is southern.
See, that's Midwestern to me. Southern would be "y'all," in my opinion. I've only ever heard "you'uns" in the Midwest. Though I've heard "You all" everywhere I've lived.

My favorite version of this is in parts of Pennsylvania - "yous guys." It makes me smile every time!

Old 01-05-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeplinger View Post
See, that's Midwestern to me. Southern would be "y'all," in my opinion. I've only ever heard "you'uns" in the Midwest. Though I've heard "You all" everywhere I've lived.

My favorite version of this is in parts of Pennsylvania - "yous guys." It makes me smile every time!
I agree. Yous Guys is a hoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.