Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 09:29 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Yeah, it's just outrageous to ask for specific examples when charging others with racism, isn't it?
And you still wouldn't believe it so what's the difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.A.P View Post
Hey Reb. Ya these liberal wackos think the south is slow, stupid and racist, and then they try to back up their answer with things that happed 40 plus years ago. They never have any legit reasons, and no one cares what they think. They only make themselves out to be naieve and racist. All they ever do is hate on the south, lets hate on California. It's filled with stupid fart sniffing liberals. How does it feel to have a stereostype, and always made fun of? People who make polls like this just need to knock it off.
Go ahead hate all you want. I like California and don't really care what some dude from Missouri thinks about it.

Fact is 40 million people live here. 10 million live in LA County. And pretty much everyone I know here in LA likes it.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:35 PM

736 posts, read 524,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Go ahead hate all you want. I like California and don't really care what some dude from Missouri thinks about it.

Fact is 40 million people live here. 10 million live in LA County. And pretty much everyone I know here in LA likes it.
I don't hate, you hate. Also lets hope all the people who live in California stay there if they have your mind set. You are possibly the most ignorant person I've met on CD, and you are so misled in the ways of the south. Tell me, have you ever lived there? What do you honestly know about the south that a text book hasn't told you?

Old 07-17-2011, 10:15 PM

Yea I have and it sucked. Don't prefer to go back.

I imagine you don't live in STL as that wouldn't be the south, but I do like STL.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:49 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
I've lived in the south my entire life, and I would say that some of the stereotypes are plenty true, but nothing is 100% of course. I see perfect examples of true, southern rednecks every single day, but it's not like those are the only kid of people I see. I know super religious, conservative people who hate homosexuals and evolution, but I also know liberal, gay atheists (well, a couple anyway). I've known southerners who absolutely despised anyone who wasn't white, and I've know others who were the least racist people you could imagine.

That being said, most of the southerners I know (and since I've lived here so long I know many) are very religious, very conservative, and very anti-science (at least when it contradicts their religion). And I know a few people who are blatantly racist and proud of it. I know a lot of people who are somewhat racist but don't realize it, which could probably include almost everyone in the country, myself included. Many are nice to your face, but will say bad things about you after you walk out of the room. Others would never do that and are nice all the time, and others still are just plain jerks all the time. Yes, I hear country music all the time, but I hear just as much rap and a lot of classic rock. Not much jazz, though.

I'd say if you took a small town in the south, and held it up next to a small town in much of the rest of the country, they wouldn't look that much different. The weather might be a little different, and the accents of course, but I bet you'd see MUCH bigger differences between, say, Cleveland, TN and Atlanta, GA. The last big trip I took was to the Seattle area last November, and it was indeed like a completely different world to me. But I went through some smaller towns as well and to be honest, in a lot of ways they could just as well have been small towns in Tennessee, except they had buses and passenger trains. And I wasn't sweating.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:52 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, when southerners tend to think that "Mountain Dew is the best drink ever made."

Most people drink enormous amounts of Mountain Dew in the South, particularly Tennessee, Kentucky, and southern Indiana.
it is!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:12 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Stereotypes, as in the South is filled with toothless, inbred, uneducated crazies. Definitely not. It's a figment of the imagination out of Hollywood movie and television executives.

If you mean that Southerners are more conservative, are more religious, more moral, and that they are less likely to base their views on politically correct Marxist ideology promoted by Hollywood and academia: Absolutely, and that's a great thing! In a way, Southerners are more real, and are less easily swayed, which indicates greater maturity and masculinity.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Stereotypes, as in the South is filled with toothless, inbred, uneducated crazies. Definitely not. It's a figment of the imagination out of Hollywood movie and television executives.

If you mean that Southerners are more conservative, are more religious, more moral, and that they are less likely to base their views on politically correct Marxist ideology promoted by Hollywood and academia: Absolutely, and that's a great thing! In a way, Southerners are more real, and are less easily swayed, which indicates greater maturity and masculinity.
LOL. So Deliverance wasn't real?

Old 07-18-2011, 09:05 AM

299 posts, read 641,668 times
Quote:
No. Neither was Southern Comfort.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:27 AM

767 posts, read 2,291,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Did you really think it was?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.