Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,484 times

Advertisements

I am a 16 yr old who lives in Ga and most of these stereotypes are false... atleast where im from. like most reogions though, we do have some people who are like that. our schools are great, most ppl have an IQ over 100(mine 160), and we are NOT stuck in the past
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 12:06 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
The big thing I would be afraid of is raising kids in the South. My wife and I are old enough to not be swayed by some of the prevailing attitudes in the South, but kids I would be nervous about. I would want to keep 'em away from the homophobia, general bigotry (toward foreigners and other minorities), guns, and religious hatred (for example the dislike of Jews, Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, Catholics, or anyone else who isn't 'properly religious' or Christian enough) that thrive in the South until they're old enough to make their own decisions. No Christian Talibanism for my kids!
People have differing opinions of homosexuality. I think it could possibly be part of the genetic make-up of a person. Just because I follow the teachings of the bible, doesn't mean I discredit science. I do not mistreat anyone for being homosexual.

As for interracial relationships, they are increasing in the south at a faster rate than any other area. I am in an interracial marriage myself if you must catagorize, however, I don't think of it as an interracial marriage, just as a marriage to someone I love. My wife is East Indian, West Indian, and Hispanic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/us/20race.html?_r=1

The younger generation is much more accepting of interacial relationships and racial differences.

I am not sure why you think guns are bad. It's the people who abuse the power of a gun we need to look out for, and if you take guns away from law abiding citizens, only criminals have guns. There is always a black market for illegal guns, and criminals know there is far less risk breaking into your home if households are unarmed.

My wife is Catholic, and there is a Buddhist Monastery in my hometown of Batesville, MS where they live in peace. We may not fully understand their practices, but respect their right to practice them. I have researched Buddhism to a certain extent, and have a great deal of respect for anyone who tries to live a peaceful, non violent life.

Welcome to Magnolia Grove Monastery

http://www.iclassifiedsnetwork.com/v...&MemberID=1180

I am as Southern as anyone in Mississippi. I grew up in the country, rambled through the woods, waded in creeks and roadside dumps, went mud riding, drag racing, three wheeler riding.. you get the idea. My point is that you can't judge Southerners thoughts and feelings based on appearance. We are as individual as you are.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:10 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,778 times
I think there is some truth to southern stereotypes. I think many southerners do fit one or more of the criteria that they are often thought of having, but not all of them. I accept that some southerners aren't what the stereotypes of them are, but culture doesn't change quickly and many of them still hold true. That is what I experienced in the south.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:58 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,889 times
There's definitely truth to them. All stereotypes have at least some.

It's night and day between the city and country, at least in NC.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:14 PM

58 posts, read 91,172 times
Having lived in Alabama for a while now as a Brown person (South Asian), I have to say it is very racist.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:43 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WavinFlag View Post
Having lived in Alabama for a while now as a Brown person (South Asian), I have to say it is very racist.
Then why do you still live there? What specific examples of "racism" have you experienced, or witnessed? Ever consider that maybe your attitude is the real source of the problem...?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:37 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Yes, when southerners tend to think that "Mountain Dew is the best drink ever made."

Most people drink enormous amounts of Mountain Dew in the South, particularly Tennessee, Kentucky, and southern Indiana.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:40 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Then why do you still live there? What specific examples of "racism" have you experienced, or witnessed? Ever consider that maybe your attitude is the real source of the problem...?
Typical Southern attitude.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:04 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Typical Southern attitude.
Yeah, it's just outrageous to ask for specific examples when charging others with racism, isn't it?

Old 07-17-2011, 09:27 PM

736 posts, read 524,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Yeah, it's just outrageous to ask for specific examples when charging others with racism, isn't it?
Hey Reb. Ya these liberal wackos think the south is slow, stupid and racist, and then they try to back up their answer with things that happed 40 plus years ago. They never have any legit reasons, and no one cares what they think. They only make themselves out to be naieve and racist. All they ever do is hate on the south, lets hate on California. It's filled with stupid fart sniffing liberals. How does it feel to have a stereostype, and always made fun of? People who make polls like this just need to knock it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.