Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 08:51 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Because the Mid West has nothing to offer except for hicks, rednecks, stupid conservatives and republicans. And they still live in the 1950's and refuse to progress. Who would want to live there ?
lol, I agree for the most part.

Minneapolis is actually pretty liberal though.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,459 times
Violent storms, boring landscape, lack of cultural amentities (besides Chicago and to an extent KC), too conservative.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,507 times
For the record Chicago has a very large Hispanic population. So you don't have to live on a bordering state. And really marce30 I thought the fundamental conservative redneck hicks were all in the southeast with a sprinkling of them out in the deserts of the southwest. Ooops silly me

Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Lack of (enough) topography, humid summers/cold winters, areas which are still homogeneous in ethnicity, large distances from America's more dramatic scenery, and some areas which are still too conservative.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 PM

37,129 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Well, although I like your creativity, at least two things aren't correct about your theory: 1.) the Midwest IS diverse in many places, and 2.) many communities do NOT have a high % of German descent, and the ones that do often aren't noticeable because the culture is completely gone (due to animosity from WWII).

The reason the Midwest has FEWER immigrants in general is because it does not border Mexico or is not the 1st place the plane or boat stops when crossing the ocean. That's the "fallback" when you are in the middle. Look at the cities/states with large immigrant populations and the nationalities that generally make up the regions:

West Coast is by far the most Asian (closest to Asia)
East Coast/NE is by far the most European and African
The South is by far the most black (for reasons that don't have QUITE as much to do with location, but still does)
Florida has by far the largest Caribbean Hispanic population (Central America)
The Southwest has by far the most Mexican Hispanic population

Besides, if Minnesota bordered Mexico, do you really think that the Hispanic population wouldn't be MUCH bigger, just because it's in the Midwest? I don't.
I think that was part of my point. German culture was a huge component for much of the Midwest for a fairly large amount of time, but it was mostly subdued/muted/homogenized due to the wars and the strong top-down and popular criticism of anything remotely german. Meanwhile, there was relatively small influxes of immigration to add other bits of idiosyncrasies to the cultural landscape. I say this as a general trend (and to some degree you agree because you point out specifically where immigration has gone for the most part in regards to different peoples going to areas that are not the midwest), not as necessarily true for all of the midwest.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Violent storms, boring landscape, lack of cultural amentities (besides Chicago and to an extent KC), too conservative.
Yet, in 2008, Obama WON these Midwest states:

Ohio
Michigan
Indiana
Illinois
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota

Obama LOST the following non-Midwest states:

Montana
Idaho
Utah
Arizona
Wyoming
Oklahoma
Texas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Arkansas
Alabama
Georgia
Tennessee
South Carolina
West Virginia
Alaska
North Dakota
South Dakota

And violent storms? As opposed to earthquakes, mudslides, drought and forest fires in California? Hurricanes and drought in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, the Carolinas, Alabama and Mississippi? Drought in much of the west plus Texas and Oklahoma?

And your boring topography claim is ridiculous. Ever stood at the shore of one of the Great Lakes? Yea, too bad that can't be as exciting as Nevada or 90 percent of Wyoming along the I-80 or I-90 corridors. Ever been in the middle of one of the old-growth forests of northern Michigan, southeast Ohio, Wisconsin or Minnesota? And if it's the farmland of Indiana, Illinois and Iowa that you're mocking - where do you think much of what you eat is grown?

Seriously, the arrogance is suffocating. ...

Last edited by abr7rmj; 05-08-2012 at 09:57 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 PM

475 posts, read 507,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Yet, in 2008, Obama WON these Midwest states:

Ohio
Michigan
Indiana
Illinois
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota

Obama LOST the following non-Midwest states:

Montana
Idaho
Utah
Arizona
Wyoming
Oklahoma
Texas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Arkansas
Alabama
Georgia
Tennessee
South Carolina
West Virginia
Alaska
North Dakota
South Dakota

And violent storms? As opposed to earthquakes, mudslides, drought and forest fires in California? Hurricanes and drought in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, the Carolinas, Alabama and Mississippi? Drought in much of the west plus Texas and Oklahoma?

And your boring topography claim is ridiculous. Ever stood at the shore of one of the Great Lakes? Yea, too bad that can't be as exciting as Nevada or 90 percent of Wyoming along the I-80 or I-90 corridors. Ever been in the middle of one of the old-growth forests of northern Michigan, southeast Ohio, Wisconsin or Minnesota? And if it's the farmland of Indiana, Illinois and Iowa that you're mocking - where do you think much of what you eat is grown?

Seriously, the arrogance is suffocating. ...
Who cares about the lakes when you have to be surrounded by rednecks. Thanks, i pass.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,273 times
Quote:
Who cares about the lakes when you have to be surrounded by rednecks. Thanks, i pass.
This is an ignorant statement.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Quote:
Are you trying to be funny?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Quote:
Because the Mid West has nothing to offer except for hicks, rednecks, stupid conservatives and republicans. And they still live in the 1950's and refuse to progress. Who would want to live there ?

The midwest is politically very very moderate, often they are considered swing states. Hicks and rednecks, yes we have alot of rural areas, but midwesterners are not uneducated hicks. Rural midwesterners are practical reserved people, hardly crazy rednecks. Stupid???? come on, ever heard of Ohio state? University of Michgian, University of Wisconsin, Noter Dame, Iowa state, Northwestern, need I go on??? Some of the best universities in the nation are here and many of us have degrees from them. Living in the 50s???? well old fashioned values are often embraced here so Ill take that one as a compliment. If America had the values of the 1950s we would not be in the shape we are now would we? Its clear to me youve never been here so maybe you should visit and see how nice it is up here. Who would want to live here??? Millions of us want to live here, so maybe you should re think your ideas about us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.