Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 12:22 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Don't forget, that was split decision. We were ONE VOTE AWAY from having the Second Amendment stolen for good.
As the DC law stands right now, you can have a loaded hand or long gun in your house. That's not much of a risk to the general population, though I expect the burglary rate to go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 12:39 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Wink A Suggestion for This Terminally Ill Thread

Just stopped by and I see it still goes on. You know, the Logic and Semantics wars. Mod cut has proven, though I can't see his posts, that he still has all of you guys truly irritated and fighting back.

I'm going to ask the moderator to read a bit of this (he/she's probably wandered off in disgust by now. Don't blame him/her). Maybe he or she will shut this one down. It's been on life-support far too long, and its mutated into a monster.

Mod cut, you are quite the erudite, thoughtful, poilte and considerate debator. I've never seen such compassion or ability to concede someone else's good points! You're such a model of good debating techniques I've asked my kids to specifically come and read some of your amazing posts!

The rest of you are obviously so wrong, it's disgusting. Give it up! Mod cut only being kind in trying to correct your, and America's, endlessly stupid thinking, our pointless Constitution, our blatantly corrupt government that we'll never correct through our democratic process and continuous self-analysis. It's hopeless I tell you!

No need to say "You said it, not me!" , Mod cut I know that'll be the elegant response from your immensely compassionate thoughtfulness. I only wish I could match your mind-power.

I think I'll start another thread on this otherwise useful topic but I'll, on purpose and by definition, exclude non-Americans (and make sure the mod helps us adhere to that simple rule) so that we can get somewhere other than wasting everyone's time and supply of Rolaids.

You know, Rolaids. The stuff we take when there's some crud in our systems that's irritating, and that needs to be neutralized?

The exclusion of foreigners won't be biased or unfair; it's just that we should confine the discussion to people who actually know something of what they speak, and are not just faking it or being intentionally combative.

Just a thought. Want me to translate it into honest English/American so there's no mis-statements or semantic errors? To sorta start it off on a good footing, so to speak? I'd love to sit in the glow of your superior intellect, and to learn from you if even for a moment...

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 01-12-2009 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: typos,

Old 01-12-2009, 02:40 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
As the DC law stands right now, you can have a loaded hand or long gun in your house. That's not much of a risk to the general population, though I expect the burglary rate to go up.
Heck - I'd expect you will ultimately have fewer burglars in the District

Old 01-12-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Heck - I'd expect you will ultimately have fewer burglars in the District
If you expect in your right hand and defecate in the left, the left gets full a lot faster.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
If you expect in your right hand and defecate in the left, the left gets full a lot faster.
Sorry Bubba - Any burglar that comes into my home will be carried out in a body bag. And, that is a fact.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:21 PM

45,402 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
That's incorrect. You may possess a firearm in your residence but it must remain unloaded or disabled "until needed". That was Mendelson's (DC Council member) legislation.

Having lived in MD, although not really near DC, for almost thirty years there is unfortunately an almost visceral fear of firearms among many people. I bought a new shotgun a few months ago and took it to a friend's house to show him. As I was leaving his house and putting it in my vehicle a lady (non-resident) walked by, saw it and started screaming "he's got a gun".
Several years ago my wife hosted a get together for her co-workers at our house. A couple people came in, saw my firearm storage, and almost had heart attacks. These were people who had grown up in rural MD and whose fathers and grandfathers hunted.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:35 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
The risk to the general population is in your mind. Reckon its pretty lonely in there too.

I expect your little Nazi's will have to rewrite their draconian law again.
Its no different than before & a direct violation not only of the constitution but of a SC order. Hopefully someone will end up in prison. They sure deserve it.

But, who knows, maybe they'l burgle you & take your computer.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sorry Bubba - Any burglar that comes into my home will be carried out in a body bag. And, that is a fact.
Right along with the 6-8 of your toes that you shoot off trying to be Rambo.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Right along with the 6-8 of your toes that you shoot off trying to be Rambo.
Nope. No "rambo" needed.

Remember - I have been there before and I did not act like Rambo nor shoot any of my own body parts.

You simply are going to have to come to grips that there are many people who use firearms for self protection - and this is a fact. I don't care about the suicides - I'm talking self protection.

You may not like it - but, it is true

Old 01-12-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's incorrect. You may possess a firearm in your residence but it must remain unloaded or disabled "until needed". That was Mendelson's (DC Council member) legislation.

Having lived in MD, although not really near DC, for almost thirty years there is unfortunately an almost visceral fear of firearms among many people. I bought a new shotgun a few months ago and took it to a friend's house to show him. As I was leaving his house and putting it in my vehicle a lady (non-resident) walked by, saw it and started screaming "he's got a gun".
Several years ago my wife hosted a get together for her co-workers at our house. A couple people came in, saw my firearm storage, and almost had heart attacks. These were people who had grown up in rural MD and whose fathers and grandfathers hunted.
You misunderstand the DC law. It sounds like your neighbors question the judgement of brandishing weapons. I'd recommend you try to learn from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates