Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 11:10 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Stop sending me PMs.

Your self-obsession has moved way beyond acceptable. You've also been reported.

Well what do you want me to do?....help some old clown banter back and forth with what he thinks is a 15 year old while hijacking this thread?

It doesnt become either one of us (But especially not someone who is supposed to be so much older and more mature than me), and it will likely result in the thread being closed...

It is for the better that the rest of the posters have the opportunity to continue discussing the topic as adults rather than listen to some old clownish curmudgeon bicker back and forth with a "15 year old"...wouldnt you agree?

so hold on a sec...Im going to send you another PM right quick...lol.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:44 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
Seriously though, are you really trying to make a case for colonization as a benefit for indigenious peoples?
No, not at all. I don't think that colonialism was a good thing in most instances. I simply said that once independent, how well a country does will depend of the people who inhabit that country. That's all.

- Reel

Old 07-15-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I suspect that since they didnt ask for any "aide" to begin with, that they are well aware that at one time, before exploitation and imperialism, they subsisted without foreign intervention.
Yeah, ok. I think you have been putting me on. That's why I backed out of the discussion.

- Reel

Old 07-15-2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
So at first you claimed blacks have to work 3 times as hard as whites, now you're claiming they have to work twice as hard.

As long as you're just making crap up, calling names, making broad assumptions and derogatory statements, why not just say blacks have to work a hundred-gazillion times harder than whites?

You're all oppressed. You're all underprivileged. You're all born to fail.

It must REALLY SUCK to have your mindset. You must be a horribly miserable person - along with a few other perpetual excuse-makers on this forum. Wow!
Hey, Soly is just putting us on. He doesn't even believe the things he is saying. He thinks Africa is doing just fine 'in their own way'. Sheesh!

- Reel

Old 07-15-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
No, No, NO!!!!!!!!

Everything - and I do mean EVERYTHING that is, or has ever been wrong in Africa is the DIRECT FAULT OF WHITES.

It's the same in the United States. EVERYTHING wrong here is the direct fault of whites. Period.

That's what liberal politicians have been telling blacks for years, in order to buy their votes. That's what blacks have come to accept as truth, because it is one heckuva lot easier than actually doing what ANYBODY has to do to succeed.

It's all the White Man's fault. Period.
Yeah I know.

There are segments within all races that include people who are unable to produce much more than they need to survive. These people will always be poor. This includes blacks and whites. To take a group such as blacks and then tell them that the reason this segment of their population is not succeeding because of past wrongs and current prejudice and discrimination by whites will only create resentment toward whites within the group as a whole.

This is a problem. I try to shed some light on the fact that there are other more significant factors involved that is preventing the people in this particular segment of the black community from succeeding.

As one poster said, the majority of blacks are doing just fine. This would not be the case if prejudice and discrimination was bad enough to keep a whole segment of their population from succeeding. Also, social programs will never work if the wrong problem is being addressed by these programs.

- Reel

Old 07-15-2009, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
To the well intentioned participants of this thread, I apologize for aiding in the hijacking of this thread with this childsplay..lol I am prepared to move on with the discussion..
Yeah, he keeps taking the bait. Just stop baiting him. It really detracts from other things you have to say no matter how well reasoned they may be. The same goes for putting me on. I just didn't bite and backed out of the conversation.

- Reel

Old 07-15-2009, 07:13 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
No, not at all. I don't think that colonialism was a good thing in most instances. I simply said that once independent, how well a country does will depend of the people who inhabit that country. That's all.

- Reel
It depends on the condition the nation was left in.That is another thing to think about. It isn't that simple.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Hey, Soly is just putting us on. He doesn't even believe the things he is saying. He thinks Africa is doing just fine 'in their own way'. Sheesh!

- Reel
cool...Im not sure what you mean by putting you on, and dont wish to know...

You were trying to be sarcastic by stating that you guess Africa was doing just fine, and that they didnt realize we could stop sending them "aide" and it didnt really work...simple as that...

You sarcastically said that you guess Africa was doing well "in its own way" and I replied by stating that Africa was doing just fine before being invaded, and imperialised and I maintain that stance...They certainly didnt ask to be colonized...Perhaps you thought I was joking..

I wasnt, Africa was subsisting perfectly fine before foreign invasion and imperialism...I dont recall any historical evidence that they initially asked for any foreign "aide"....other than the fact that the imperialist felt as though Africa was "behind" and thus took it upon themselves to enter and exploit the nation's resources under the guises of "aiding" them.

if you feel you are being "put on" or whatever, too bad..you CHOSE not to accept my statement my valid opinion...and since you cant take me seriously and I certainly havent been taking you seriously then why not just refrain from addressing each other?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Yeah, he keeps taking the bait. Just stop baiting him. It really detracts from other things you have to say no matter how well reasoned they may be. The same goes for putting me on. I just didn't bite and backed out of the conversation.

- Reel
clever, lol sure thats why you backed out of the conversation...you are definitely above it all...but no one was baiting Omaha Rocks. If he cant restrain himself from his emotional outbursts, then I cant do anything about that...I posted my position on these issues, just like everyone else in the discussion and he misconstrued, and became offended by seemingly every single thing I said, and as a result felt justified in detouring the discussion with name calling and childishness...

I tell him that he "won" the argument, I stopped addressing him completely and he still continues to stalk me....anything I say, the guy thinks Im trying to be "smart" or whatever...

sheesh! there's nothing else I can do with the guy...if he is being baited he is baiting himself

Old 07-15-2009, 01:47 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
This might be the best controversial thread ever, with all the post being educated theories and ideas without the name calling or people getting overly offended. I have read some great ideas and suggestions and have to commend all for staying respectful to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates