Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 06:34 PM

16 posts, read 12,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
But thats just a matter of perceptions, and yes viper has said that pidgin should be killed in the past by his words and attitude.
Which of my 3 statements is, as you say, "just a matter of perceptions"?

Old 10-08-2013, 06:36 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,759,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loo Biffy View Post
Can you explain what you are trying to say: When you say "Example:", one naturally thinks you are going to present an example. However, when you immediately follow it with "rest my case", one has to ask themselves if they blinked, and perhapa missed something. In other words, where is your example?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1
Breaking news: Hawaii is a western culture. Not Asian (I lived in Asia) nor Polynesian (been there).

JK: I guess that means everyone can now leave their shoes on when entering the homes of Hawaiʻi locals.

Originally Posted by Jonah K
I guess that means everyone can now leave their shoes on when entering the homes of Hawaiʻi locals.

Wiper: If Hawaii had a winter, where do you think those shoes would end up.

My response: Example: rest my case.

See the issue is no matter how many examples of culture outside of mainland we give to him the result is the same. Kinda like an denial. The shoes off is an asian custom

Old 10-08-2013, 06:45 PM

16 posts, read 12,482 times
Quote:
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1
Breaking news: Hawaii is a western culture. Not Asian (I lived in Asia) nor Polynesian (been there).

JK: I guess that means everyone can now leave their shoes on when entering the homes of Hawaiʻi locals.

Originally Posted by Jonah K
I guess that means everyone can now leave their shoes on when entering the homes of Hawaiʻi locals.

Wiper: If Hawaii had a winter, where do you think those shoes would end up.

My response: Example: rest my case.

See the issue is no matter how many examples of culture outside of mainland we give to him the result is the same. Kinda like an denial. The shoes off is an asian custom
To be perfectly honest, your response to Mr. Viper was a complete non-sequitur. Even after your explanation, I am at a loss to connect any of your dots at all.

Aloha

I am familiar with Custom of removing shoes.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:

I am familiar with Custom of removing shoes.
Hey me too! Of course a tradition or custom here and there doesn't make for an entirely new culture. Last I believe at least.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:56 PM

I also think that people misunderstand what im saying, im not saying get rid of mainland culture or Haoles(im for culture diversity). Im not one of those guys that yells go home haole unless your a real . Im just opposed to what appears to be a superiority attitude. That even though all local families had to learn the culture and customs pidgin etc, including myself and my ohana. But Mainlanders are the exception of the rule? Im all for blending of the cultures, but what im also hearing isnt blending but domination of a minority on a majority. I think mainland usa has there place in Hawai'i, but when only oldtime locals know what im saying about culture and lifestyle is true. Or i get really bad responses from current newbys of Hawai'i, That tells me a balance has been lost. Thats all, no sinister plot to make Hawai'i non white etc.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:09 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If Hawaii had a winter, where do you think those shoes would end up.
Regardless of season, the shoes would still be left at the door.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:13 PM

I think also the question would have to be, if my ideals of what was local and true for Hawai'i culture 20years ago is obsolete ? But was the way the majority thought 20years ago? Then what happened between now and then? Did we have a vote and decided that we don't want localism anymore? Or did western culture do what it has always done with everyplace that is different?

Old 10-08-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Regardless of season, the shoes would still be left at the door.
I'll agree to disagree - you see people doing that in Key West - add some snow and freezing temps, and it would be a lot different. Just what I think.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Which of my 3 statements is, as you say, "just a matter of perceptions"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loo Biffy
I don't believe your opponent stated that he "wants" everyone to live like mainlanders, but asserts, instead, an opinion regarding the lack of differences, culturally, between Hawaii and the Mainland.

I am not certain I agree with him fully, but fairness dictates that untrue statements be kept to a minimum.

The Hawaiian culture, like its language, is slowly melting away in the face of far-more-formidable alternatives.
But thats just a matter of perceptions, and yes viper has said that pidgin should be killed in the past by his words and attitude.

Untrue statements and hawaiian language fading away. is a matter of perceptions.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I think also the question would have to be, if my ideals of what was local and true for Hawai'i culture 20years ago is obsolete ? But was the way the majority thought 20years ago? Then what happened between now and then? Did we have a vote and decided that we don't want localism anymore? Or did western culture do what it has always done with everyplace that is different?
We had this thing called the internet. Airline deregulation. People sending their kids to the mainland for college and they stayed - then came back eventually with mainland customs. A high military presence from gulf wars - more people leaving Hawaii and more people moving to Hawaii - a disinterest in traditional Hawaiian "culture" (go look at your yourtube videos of all the things that don't exist anymore) - record tourism catering to the mainland - etc, etc, etc....

There was no vote - it happened a long time ago. The change was mostly in the early 2000's and mostly complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii