Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 02:07 PM

16 posts, read 12,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Aloha, welcome to CDF. Mahalo for your opinion. Welcome.
Iiyo

Old 10-08-2013, 02:09 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Breaking news: Hawaii is a western culture. Not Asian (I lived in Asia) nor Polynesian (been there).
I guess that means everyone can now leave their shoes on when entering the homes of Hawaiʻi locals.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:09 PM

431 posts, read 940,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
The ability to laugh at an "ethnic" joke (even if it's at one's own expense) often helps one to adapt socially in Hawaiʻi. Many local comedians, such as Frank De Lima, Augie T, and Andy Bumatai make a living by telling "ethnic" jokes. For the most part, "political correctness" made its way here on "Hawaiian time."
Oh just so wrong, in so many ways. So, in order to "adapt," one has to pretend to enjoy racial and ethnic slurs that masquerade as (hahahahaha) humor.
Tell that to my Mexican grandchildren, my black nieces and nephews, my Korean relatives. Go ahead and see what they'd tell you. Tell that to my late Irish grandmother who was met with "NINA (No Irish Need Apply)" signs and ethnic slurs when she landed in NYC.
Watch me crack a "joke" about locals and we'll see what happens. Ooop, I forgot. The humor lies in WHO tells the joke and at whom it is aimed. Nice, nice.
The fact that people make a living here doing such things says a lot about life here.
Anyone see a gross disconnect between the assertions that "one has to respect the Hawaiian culture" and being expected to disrespect other cultures/races/ethnicities in order to "fit in"?
Goes right back to Pride morphing into Superiority, and the troubles that accompany such thinking.
It is unacceptable, right down to the smallest denominator, including (hahahahahaha) so-called "humor."
And just because it's deemed acceptable by some doesn't make it right. Anyone remember Step 'n' Fetchit, Amos and Andy, Asian stereotypes in old movies? Hahahahahaha, right? No.
Other places have moved beyond that. "Hawaiian Time" is no excuse to perpetuate the thinly-veiled hatred.
And yes, I have a killer sense of humor, LOL. Just don't find ethnic slurs funny at all, in any way, shape or form. Neither does most of the rest of the world, these days.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:15 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,759,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
I guess HBH added the "I just don't think like one" after I responded to his post where he declared that he was part haole, as if that gave him a license to bash.
Ah well. No sense banging my head against a wall here. Some are just comfortable in their bigoted shoes and not open to venturing outside their narrow little comfort zone. Gives them at least a little sense of superiority, I suppose.
Such is life.
"Aloha...." (sigh....).
Its funny how this has became in issue of racism and intolerence on my part, when really the issue is that Hawai'i is culturally different from the mainland and my minority opponent wiper(in Hawai'i) wants everyone to live like mainlanders and forget that Hawai'i has a unique culture and population. Talk about intolerence and racism.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:22 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I guess that means everyone can now leave their shoes on when entering the homes of Hawaiʻi locals.
If Hawaii had a winter, where do you think those shoes would end up.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:28 PM

16 posts, read 12,482 times
Quote:
Its funny how this has became in issue of racism and intolerence on my part, when really the issue is that Hawai'i is culturally different from the mainland and my minority opponent wiper(in Hawai'i) wants everyone to live like mainlanders and forget that Hawai'i has a unique culture and population. Talk about intolerence and racism.
I don't believe your opponent stated that he "wants" everyone to live like mainlanders, but asserts, instead, an opinion regarding the lack of differences, culturally, between Hawaii and the Mainland.

I am not certain I agree with him fully, but fairness dictates that untrue statements be kept to a minimum.

The Hawaiian culture, like its language, is slowly melting away in the face of far-more-formidable alternatives.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:30 PM

@PaliPatty

your quote: Goes right back to Pride morphing into Superiority, and the troubles that accompany such thinking.
It is unacceptable, right down to the smallest denominator,

Uhmm and its not pride morphing into superiority, for a minority to demand that people stop talking pidgin and just talk english or coming over with your own ideals of right or wrong and pushing it on others. I think you misunderstand me. Im all for assimilating other cultures because that is what Hawai'i is and what locals are a mix of many races etc. The problem i hear isn't assimilation, but domination, that instead of becoming a part of Hawai'is diverse culture, a minority wants to pushout any other culture and be the dominate one.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loo Biffy View Post
I don't believe your opponent stated that he "wants" everyone to live like mainlanders, but asserts, instead, an opinion regarding the lack of differences, culturally, between Hawaii and the Mainland.

I am not certain I agree with him fully, but fairness dictates that untrue statements be kept to a minimum.

The Hawaiian culture, like its language, is slowly melting away in the face of far-more-formidable alternatives.
Correct!

Old 10-08-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loo Biffy View Post

But thats just a matter of perceptions, and yes viper has said that pidgin should be killed in the past by his words and attitude.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 10-08-2013 at 02:45 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 02:51 PM

'
Quote:
But thats just a matter of perceptions, and yes viper has said that pidgin should be killed in the past by his words and attitude.
For the record, I said this exact quote:

"I'll guess the folks who grow up in the Hawaii school system pick it up. Pidgin is so destructive to kids in the Hawaii school system - the writing skills I see from locals are atrocious and they don't get hired for many jobs due to that lack of basic skill.

Anyone ever wonder why people who grew up in Hawaii hold so few local executive level positions, compared to mainland or international transplants? I'll tell you why. Basic writing skills.

Sorry to make them angry, but the folks who grew up here and post on this forum are often a clear example of a lack of basic writing skills."

Remind you of anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii