Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 09:43 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
They were driven out of business by non local business interests with deeper pockets. The might is right mentality, To hell with what locals wantted. The almighty dollar is what is important, not the disturbing of ancestral graves or the almost elimination of others cultures, languages etc.
Therefore, we've eliminated the Hawaii culture thing by what you just posted. Thanks. Took awhile.

Just what I "wantted"

Old 10-08-2013, 09:48 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,759,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loo Biffy View Post
To paraphrase another poster "Wow, just wow".
There is no resurgence of Olelo Hawai'i then? I guess im making that up too? Hmm wonder why we had to have a effort to restore the language in the first place?

Old 10-08-2013, 09:49 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times
Quote:
Thats the point im trying to make, why do you assume what has happened and is currently happening as progress? Thats weird? I lived in a time in Hawai'i where kids could play freely without being supervised, i lived in a time where you could still keep your door unlocked. I lived in Hawai'i at a time when business were still owned by locals who had to care about community, environment and its people. Etc etc.
Those same things existed on the mainland back then too. I grew up in California. The milkman brought our milk in and put it in the refrigerator. The dry cleaner put our clothes directly in the closets. The car keys stayed in the ignitions in unlocked cars every night, and the house was only locked when we went on vacation until I was about 18 years old. Those days are gone EVERYWHERE, and not just because haoles moved to Hawaii. It may not be progress, but it isn't going to stop.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Those same things existed on the mainland back then too. I grew up in California. The milkman brought our milk in and put it in the refrigerator. The dry cleaner put our clothes directly in the closets. The car keys stayed in the ignitions in unlocked cars every night, and the house was only locked when we went on vacation until I was about 18 years old. Those days are gone EVERYWHERE, and not just because haoles moved to Hawaii. It may not be progress, but it isn't going to stop.
Those days were 20yrs ago in Hawai'i man. When was the last time it was safe on the mainland? Before my birth? Even after my birth it was prob small town USA?

"It isn't going to stop" because we choose not to do anything about it. Are you saying if the majority stoodup and said enough already! that we could effect change?

Old 10-08-2013, 10:18 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times
Quote:
Those days were 20yrs ago in Hawai'i man. When was the last time it was safe on the mainland? Before my birth? Even after my birth it was prob small town USA?

"It isn't going to stop" because we choose not to do anything about it. Are you saying if the majority stoodup and said enough already! that we could effect change?
Waikiki was not like that even in the 1970s. Crawling with hookers, and thieves. Undoubtedly, small-town Hawaii was just like small-town mainland USA.
And no, I don't believe your theory of everyone rising in protest would work, or even be lawful. All of the businesses and other agents of change are not breaking any laws. Protesters will not make Hawaii return to a simpler time, even if everyone agrees that it would be nice.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Waikiki was not like that even in the 1970s. Crawling with hookers, and thieves. Undoubtedly, small-town Hawaii was just like small-town mainland USA.
And no, I don't believe your theory of everyone rising in protest would work, or even be lawful. All of the businesses and other agents of change are not breaking any laws. Protesters will not make Hawaii return to a simpler time, even if everyone agrees that it would be nice.
I didn't live in waikiki early 70s. But yeah waikiki was bad i agree. But that area was kinda its own country within a country persa would you agree?

Old 10-08-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Hmmm we live in a democracy that majority wins right? Does law dictate right or wrong for every situation?

Old 10-08-2013, 10:43 PM

16 posts, read 12,482 times
Quote:
Thats the point im trying to make, why do you assume what has happened and is currently happening as progress? Thats weird? I lived in a time in Hawai'i where kids could play freely without being supervised, i lived in a time where you could still keep your door unlocked. I lived in Hawai'i at a time when business were still owned by locals who had to care about community, environment and its people. Etc etc.

To me what i see isn't progress but regression
So you see going from a tribal existence pre-King Kam, to a first-world existence with hot and cold running water, electricity, sanitation, and all the other trappings, to be regression? You must take the broad view, the long view. The nirvana you see as the past isn't realistic.

Skid number 6 for you, my lad!!!!

Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 PM

16 posts, read 12,482 times
Quote:
There is no resurgence of Olelo Hawai'i then? I guess im making that up too? Hmm wonder why we had to have a effort to restore the language in the first place?
A novelty language, nothing more. Last gasp, so to speak.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loo Biffy View Post
So you see going from a tribal existence pre-King Kam, to a first-world existence with hot and cold running water, electricity, sanitation, and all the other trappings, to be regression? You must take the broad view, the long view. The nirvana you see as the past isn't realistic.

Skid number 6 for you, my lad!!!!
No and once again i never suggestted we go back and live in pre king kam days. Thats also another argument that was misunderstood. I approached that argument on the ideal of whats the right thing to do? And that was to restore the hawaiian kingdom. Just like if china invaded USA i would be having this conversation with the chinese ok. I get nothing if the Hawai'ian kingdom is restored. Its about doing whats right and not race. But we will never get anywhere with any issue if ppl can't even admit to wrongdoing or the poss of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii