Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 01:05 PM

431 posts, read 940,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Uhmmm Im part white or haole if you prefer lol
I've got all sorts of ethnicities, races, religions in my family. Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian, Black. It doesn't give me the right to make jokes about any of them.
In fact, it makes me all the more pissed off when other people do it.
What the heck is it with the people here who think it's funny? Or even okay?
It's not---no matter who the target or targeter is. It really is not okay.
I see how some here get all fired up if someone makes a crack about locals. Not acceptable, in either direction. If more people did not see it as acceptable, in any form, this would be a better place---and I mean the planet in general, not CD.
Just sayin.'

Old 10-08-2013, 01:07 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,759,437 times
This debate is kinda interesting. On oneside you have people like me (kanaka, born here) Jonny08(asian,born here) OpenD(kanaka by heart, lived big part of life on BI) all saying Hawai'i culture is unique. Then on the otherside whtviper1(white corpman, few years honolulu) WannabeCPA (? but a professional) etc etc

See a patern here?

Old 10-08-2013, 01:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:

See a patern here?
Yes, we know how to spell and we know how many states exist.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
I've got all sorts of ethnicities, races, religions in my family. Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian, Black. It doesn't give me the right to make jokes about any of them.
In fact, it makes me all the more pissed off when other people do it.
What the heck is it with the people here who think it's funny? Or even okay?
It's not---no matter who the target or targeter is. It really is not okay.
I see how some here get all fired up if someone makes a crack about locals. Not acceptable, in either direction. If more people did not see it as acceptable, in any form, this would be a better place---and I mean the planet in general, not CD.
Just sayin.'
Well patty i agree, but classism, racism and intolerent attitudes can be more then just a person making a joke right? I believe you were the first person i met on CDF?(baptism by fire if i remember? lol) By the way i forgive you, i figured u just had a bad day?

Old 10-08-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
So now its intelligent and education jokes to make yourself look like the big moke? lol

Old 10-08-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
This debate is kinda interesting. On oneside you have people like me (kanaka, born here) Jonny08(asian,born here) OpenD(kanaka by heart, lived big part of life on BI) all saying Hawai'i culture is unique. Then on the otherside whtviper1(white corpman, few years honolulu) WannabeCPA (? but a professional) etc etc

See a patern here?
All cultures are unique, in their own ways, and that is a lovely thing. I don't think "uniqueness" was the topic here, at least it wasn't when I jumped into the discussion.
And as far as I'm concerned, the acceptability of racism and ethnocentrism is not up for "debate."
Taking pride in one's culture and heritage is fine. Where it gets ugly is when that pride morphs into a sense of superiority over others who don't share the same culture, heritage, and ideology.
Wars are fought over such things...even now. Just look around.

Last edited by PaliPatty; 10-08-2013 at 01:29 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 01:22 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,874 times
Quote:
Uhmmm Im part white or haole if you prefer lol

I just don't think like one
I am part coqui frog. What's your point?

How exactly do "haoles" think diffently? Is their brain wired differently?

Ugly comes in all forms.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
All cultures are unique, in their own ways. I don't think "uniqueness" was the topic here, at least it wasn't when I jumped into the discussion.
And as far as I'm concerned, the acceptability of racism and ethnocentrism is not up for "debate."
Taking pride in one's culture and heritage is fine. Where it gets ugly is when that pride morphs into a sense of superiority over others who don't share the same culture, heritage, and ideology.
Wars are fought over such things...even now. Just look around.
You should read the tread patty. Yup i agree. Kind of like being a minority on the islands but expecting everyone else to live like them. The discussion was, does Hawai'i have unique culture from the mainland(and that even is off topic) I say yes, wiper says hawaii just like mainland.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Oh viper, WannabeCPA wants his $20 you said u would give him for posting.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikake View Post
I am part coqui frog. What's your point?

How exactly do "haoles" think diffently? Is their brain wired differently?

Ugly comes in all forms.
I guess HBH added the "I just don't think like one" after I responded to his post where he declared that he was part haole, as if that gave him a license to bash.
Ah well. No sense banging my head against a wall here. Some are just comfortable in their bigoted shoes and not open to venturing outside their narrow little comfort zone. Gives them at least a little sense of superiority, I suppose.
Such is life.
"Aloha...." (sigh....).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii