Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 04:35 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,723,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Back in the early 90's Japan and the USA were having some trade disputes. I owned a Toyota pick up. I work in a factory. As 1 might imagine my truck seemed to get a lot of unwanted attention. Bent antenna and flat tires. American flag bumper stickers on my windshield etc.
Friendly protest? Obviously I didn't think so.
The guys with the flags were driving by. Maybe they shouted a rebuttal to the protestors slogans. The protestor who grabbed the flag and threw it to the ground crossed the line. Not because it was our flag, but because it wasn't his property to grab and throw to the ground.
They chanted demanding respect and yet demonstrated none.
How I feel it applies to my story.
Some said I was at fault for driving my truck to work at a factory knowing how many felt about Japan. As if somehow this antagonized the vandals.
I get how the vandals felt. Misplaced loyalty to detroit and ignorance about the fact that my truck was at least as American as the average chevy dodge or ford of the day. In fact maybe more so. At least mine was assembled here by US citizens. Not true of the domestic trucks of the day. Mexico and Canada built theirs.
The protestors have a right to their protest. That right ended when they attacked someone elses property.
I agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
This happened close to the campus of Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, California after five students were sent home, but not punished for wearing clothing with American flags to school on Cinco de Mayo.

Several dozen Latino students walked out of class the Thursday following Cinco de Mayo. Shouting "We Want Respect", the students marched to a nearby park where they then held a protest. The protest followed word from the Morgan Hill Unified School District that the students who were sent home on Cinco De Mayo would not be disciplined.

So, supporting illegal immigration or not, these students were protesting the fact that AMERICAN students would not be "disciplined" (read--expelled) for wearing American flag shirts to school on Cinco de Mayo, an obscure, unimportant day in Mexico, but obviously extremely holy to those Latino students who have no clue of the actual origin of the day. They students claimed that the American flags "disrespect them and their holiday.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:52 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,561 times
I would like to point out their ages. They are starting out as haters and they will no doubt grow up to be haters.

Is there a new class of Amexicans?
Hater-American??

Youth is wasted on the young.
George Bernard Shaw

Old 08-16-2010, 06:40 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
The aforementioned article about Morgan Hill Students sent home because they were wearing USA garb on Cinco de Mayo and the administration wanted to avoid a conflict...

"The parents of the five boys said the school's decision was un-American.

"You can't just single out these five. It doesn't work that way. That's not what America is about," said Julie Fagerstrom."

It is an essential part of being American to be able to express oneself without fear of government reprisal. However, common sense tells us there are good / productive ways to get results and bad ones too. I used the example of the wearing the Charger uniform in enemy Raider territory. Certainly legal but questionable from a common sense point of view. Imagine going into Crip territory with Blood colors (these are gang references for those of you who don't know) to see the reaction. Again legal but definately not recommended. You may die in such scenarios but at least you'll be behaving legally. Imagine going to the Gay Pride Parade in San Fransisco and shouting out anti-gay sentiments. Again legal but certainly and obviously risky. Or in the case of this video...riding along in a car waving an American flag while Mexicans marched with their flags. You are within your legal rights to do so but aren't you asking for trouble?

If my neighbor burns the flag in protest, I have a few choices. I can go forcefully stop him or her which will likely include some illegality or I can fly an even larger flag as my statement. Each choice will have varying results and consequences.
Not a good analogy. For one thing how is the American flag offensive on Cinco De Mayo? The U.S. wasn't involved in any conflicts with Mexico on that date. It is nothing to us at all historically. The American flag being flown or worn on that date is being flaunted in enemy terrority? Wow!

Old 08-16-2010, 06:47 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
This link is over 3 years old

Old 08-16-2010, 11:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Not a good analogy. For one thing how is the American flag offensive on Cinco De Mayo? The U.S. wasn't involved in any conflicts with Mexico on that date. It is nothing to us at all historically. The American flag being flown or worn on that date is being flaunted in enemy terrority? Wow!
this is not mexico. displays of cultural pride are fine. but consistent rejection of the host countries language culture and laws is not acceptable.
please leave.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:35 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,826 times

I pray turds like these try that crap with me or mine......it's things like this that put law abiding citizens behind bars.....

Old 08-17-2010, 01:03 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
If this were only the 60's. If it were. most of these attacks, parades, demonstration or protest would never have taken place. If they did, there would be counter-attacks by US citizen and with no restrictions..
This vdio is an example on how political correctness works.

PC...
OH...we don't want to offend any foriegn nationals, so we'll just let them insult and offend the American public.

Our Government is stomping on the wrong toes!

Old 08-17-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
I pray turds like these try that crap with me or mine......it's things like this that put law abiding citizens behind bars.....
" Vengence is mine sayeth the Lord"

Old 08-17-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
Thanks @KsStorm
{geek} You welcome to ask for explanations or a better understanding of any post at any time.

Just don't expect one from every poster.....referring to the pro-illegals on this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration