Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 02:09 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
But it IS OK to extrapolate from one "bad apple" illegal immigrant and paint ALL of them with the same brush? Because that basically happens 200 times a day in this forum and you don't seem too up in arms about that.
There’s nothing to extrapolate. ALL illegal aliens are here in violation of our laws. So, yes, the same brush is appropriate, albeit, some are a greater threat to the lives of citizens than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 03:33 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
There’s nothing to extrapolate. ALL illegal aliens are here in violation of our laws. So, yes, the same brush is appropriate, albeit, some are a greater threat to the lives of citizens than others.
Wait, what? By this reasoning, since ALL soldiers are trained to kill human beings, the same brush is appropriate for THEM, too.

I mean, I'm sure you're going to get mad at that because training to kill isn't the same as committing war crimes, and you're right about that, but you also have to acknowledge that illegally entering the country isn't the same as stealing cars, raping, murdering, etc (all of which are also done by "Real" americans every day).

Old 07-13-2011, 04:25 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
“The European Union deeply regrets the execution of Mr Humberto Leal Garcia in the State of Texas on 7 July 2011. Although Mr Leal was a Mexican citizen, the Texas authorities failed to notify him of his right to contact a Mexican consulate at the time of his arrest, as required by the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations. The execution of Mr Leal, before receiving the remedy to which he was entitled, is a breach of an undisputed international obligation.
And who cares what the EU says?

All the EU is accomplishing by putting out this press release is moving the focus of their own massive breaches of international obligation away from themselves..........

The pervert raped and killed an Texas citizen, he got Texas justice, PERIOD.

Screw the EU and their sanctimonious attitude........

Why is it the EU doesn't get involved with breaches of international obligation when subjects of middle eastern countries are involved or when citizens of central or south American countries are killed by the Mexican government??

Last edited by plwhit; 07-13-2011 at 04:51 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 04:34 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,347 times
People do realize that "contacting the Mexican embassy" isn't like some diplomatic immunity, right? It's not a get out of jail free card.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:34 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
“The European Union deeply regrets the execution of Mr Humberto Leal Garcia in the State of Texas on 7 July 2011. Although Mr Leal was a Mexican citizen, the Texas authorities failed to notify him of his right to contact a Mexican consulate at the time of his arrest, as required by the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations. The execution of Mr Leal, before receiving the remedy to which he was entitled, is a breach of an undisputed international obligation.

The European Union recognises that a terrible crime was at the heart of this case and extends its sympathy to the family and survivors of the victim. Nonetheless, the EU opposes the use of capital punishment in all cases and under all circumstances, and calls for a global moratorium as a first step towards its universal abolition.”

EUROPA - Press Releases - Brussels, 12 July 2011 Declaration by the High Representative, Catherine Ashton, on behalf of the European Union on the execution of*Mr*Humberto Leal in Texas, USA, on 7 July 2011

It was never about his death. It was about violating an international law.
How about a press release from the EU on how sorry they were to hear who te scum raped and killed the poor girl?

Old 07-13-2011, 05:35 PM

951 posts, read 745,628 times
If an American was denied an option to call their embassy you guys would be proposing war.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:49 PM

403 posts, read 334,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Regarding the “rights” of this cold-blooded rapist/murderer, he received legal counsel at taxpayers’ expense, as well as a trial. It’s hilarious that pro-illegals advocate for illegal aliens to be treated the same as U.S. citizens, when they can benefit. But, believe they should be treated as foreign nationals when they face criminal charges. You can’t have it both ways. If he were a DREAMie, you would be saying he is as much an “American” as citizens.
This is funny because you are Calling me out for "trying to have it both ways" yet one of the major arguments that your camp falls back on is that "we are a nation of laws, we can't make exceptions for people that immigrated here illegally" however, now when we are in breach of international law, you say "what's the big deal? Dude got a lawyer and a trial???"

Old 07-13-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Wait, what? By this reasoning, since ALL soldiers are trained to kill human beings, the same brush is appropriate for THEM, too.

I mean, I'm sure you're going to get mad at that because training to kill isn't the same as committing war crimes, and you're right about that, but you also have to acknowledge that illegally entering the country isn't the same as stealing cars, raping, murdering, etc (all of which are also done by "Real" americans every day).
Yes, all soldiers are trained to kill. How does that make them all rapists, murderers, or war criminals? When did I say illegal entry is tantamount to car theft, rape, or murder? Please quote me.

What I said, and I reiterate, is that ALL illegal aliens are here in violation of our laws. Is this not a true statement?

More grasping at straws. Sorry, but criminal behavior by citizens does not mitigate crimes committed by illegal aliens.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
If an American was denied an option to call their embassy you guys would be proposing war.
Wrong! If a U.S. citizen raped and murdered abroad, I wouldn’t give a damn what they did to him.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
This is funny because you are Calling me out for "trying to have it both ways" yet one of the major arguments that your camp falls back on is that "we are a nation of laws, we can't make exceptions for people that immigrated here illegally" however, now when we are in breach of international law, you say "what's the big deal? Dude got a lawyer and a trial???"
Perhaps had he not been a fraud, and pretended to be a U.S. citizen, he would have received his consulate visit. Nevertheless, he raped and killed, received a tax-funded legal defense, a tax-funded trial, a tax-funded incarceration, and ultimately, a tax-funded execution. He most likely even received a tax-funded burial. In my opinion, he received much more than he deserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration