Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 08:29 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,020,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
For one they need only 11,000 workers, what were the other 414,000 doing?
Other jobs? Is this supposed to be some AHA!!! gotcha shocker?

Quote:
It also sounds like it's not the probationers refusing to work but the farmers don't want to hire them:
I guess you know how to run their businesses better than they do.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:31 AM

951 posts, read 745,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
If it's so simple, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and operate a farm paying better wages and offering benefits?
Money where his mouth is? I'm still waiting for him to accept a wager on his claim that he could become fluent in a foreign language in a couple months. Don't hold your breath.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
And another article. It seems it's more the farmers refusal to hire unemployed Americans than those Americans actually refusing to work. There are stereotypes regarding the people on probation and some apparently do not want to give these people any chance whatsoever.
Wow, this sounds like a huge opportunity. You could start farming and hire all these workers nobody else wants and start clobbering the market. What are you waiting for?

Quote:
I suspect the reasons the farmers so despise the probationers may have a lot to do with some racist views they hold, if the probationers are primarily a certain race.
But if anyone suggests that the reason particular people despise illegal immigrants may have a lot to do with some racist views they hold, if the illegal immigrants are primarily a certain race, well THAT would be the most offensive thing anyone could EVER say, right?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
You seriously cannot say that out of all the probationers, not one of them would like a chance to have an honest job.
But it's perfectly fine to generalize about Mexicans.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:41 AM

403 posts, read 334,244 times
Quote:
If the pay is good then it's the working conditions or poor treatment of workers.

You seriously cannot say that out of all the probationers, not one of them would like a chance to have an honest job. Many farmers would never dream of recruiting in an inner city, offering jobs to unemployed youth. Or housewives who could use a little extra cash.

The biggest problem with Americans isn't that all are too lazy to work, but that few want to be treated like dogs.

Thinking you know when in fact you don't is a fatal mistake, to which we are all prone
*-Bertrand Russell

Why do you assume that any of those things are bad? I could tell you that we take care of our employees and that we actually pay our Hispanic labor more than we have payed comparable local workers previously. This is because, for the most part, Hispanic workers are much more pleasant to work with, but that's just our preference. I don't doubt that you won't believe me, though. It's kind of like trying to explain to a Mormon that there were no golden plates. I mean you don't even consider the possibility that farmers in Georgia have used that kind of labor in the past and that they might have a very good reason for not wanting to hire it again.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:10 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,923,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
Thinking you know when in fact you don't is a fatal mistake, to which we are all prone
*-Bertrand Russell

Why do you assume that any of those things are bad? I could tell you that we take care of our employees and that we actually pay our Hispanic labor more than we have payed comparable local workers previously. This is because, for the most part, Hispanic workers are much more pleasant to work with, but that's just our preference. I don't doubt that you won't believe me, though. It's kind of like trying to explain to a Mormon that there were no golden plates. I mean you don't even consider the possibility that farmers in Georgia have used that kind of labor in the past and that they might have a very good reason for not wanting to hire it again.
you do realize that we can tell you aren't a farmer by reading your prior posts?

still waiting for the illegal immigrants to answer this one:

are you okay with all americans entering mexico and demanding jobs and social services in mexico? do you think the mexican government would be okay with that?

what do you think that would do to mexico?

because we could try that, because what we have here isn't working out for america.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:14 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,621,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

are you okay with all americans entering mexico and demanding jobs and social services in mexico? do you think the mexican government would be okay with that?

because we could try that, because what we have here isn't working out for america.
An interesting idea...but it would never work. No other countries would permit illegals the way we do here.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:21 AM

951 posts, read 745,989 times
So once again America, the beacon of what the world should aspire to be, is taking notes from what other countries do. mkay. Also, Mexico actually has decriminalized illegal immigration I believe. "Let's do what Mexico does" doesn't sound as good now amirite?

Edit: Yup, decriminalized in Mexico. Don't those politicians realize "IT'S THE LAW!!!!"

http://thinkprogress.org/security/20...igration-laws/

Quote:
n 2008, the Mexican Congress voted unanimously with 393 votes (http://www.lajornadamorelos.com/noticias/sur/62577-se-despenaliza-en-mexico-inmigracion-indocumentada - broken link) to decriminalize undocumented immigration to Mexico.
I guess that eliminates like 15% of the canned responses since that's about how many reply with the horrors of how Americans would get shot if they entered Mexico illegally.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:45 AM

403 posts, read 334,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
you do realize that we can tell you aren't a farmer by reading your prior posts?

Ok, what about my prior posts indicates I'm not a farmer?

As far as the rest is concerned, I don't care one way or another whether people want to go to Mexico or not. What does it matter whether or not Mexico's government would be ok with it? They may, they may not, it's up to them. Your question isn't even an accurate analogy, every Mexican is not trying to come into our country.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
But it's perfectly fine to generalize about Mexicans.
Of course it's acceptable. Generalizations are always welcome. They just have to be positive generalizations. You have to write nice things about Mexicans when they drop out of high school, violate international borders, remain monolingual and work off the books here. You then get to explain about how they work fifty seven hours a day and prop up our economy!

Unlike those lazy, arrogant Americans who won't work a hard job and have the nerve not to speak Spanish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
lulz. It's better to buy products out of country because the workers might be using gov't welfares and such. Let's forget by living in country they pay taxes of all sorts and support other local businesses with in country purchases. Not only that but growth creates management and other types of jobs. Also, forget the fact that they have to have a child to even qualify for anything welfare related and just assume they are all leeching welfare. I know you guys like to act like they all have kids but it's pretty much not true and is just another stereotype perpetuated by your kind.
Please explain what you mean by that phrase. Because the true stereotypes I see are most on the pro-illegal side. Americans are constantly stereotyped as greedy, half witted racists while international border jumpers are hailed as the world's most fabulous people.

Low skilled illegals (and most illegals are not very skilled or educated) pay very little in taxes. Any money they do manage to pay is offset by the costs they impose on American society. No illegal should be allowed to tap into the American welfare system just because they had children. Our welfare system was designed to help provide safety nets for Americans, not prop up Mexico's dysfunctional underclass or make life easier for their billionaires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration