Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 01:32 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,167,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
The issue was whether it was constitutional for a school to ask for citizenship status, which has no bearing on whether they broke immigration laws or not. It is a Federal issue when it comes to determining citizenship status or not, it is however a state issue when it come to residency of a state. Illegals are only covered by the Due Process and Equal Protection clauses of the 4th, 6th, and 14th amendments, nothing more. Every state within the US denies illegals legal residency.
That's not what the article states. It states that they were asking students to prove they didn't break immigation laws, which is a violation of the 4th amendment of the bill of rights.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:34 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,078,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
I believe the Bill of Rights covers non citizens ,but even if it doesn't, asking one citizen to prove they haven't broken any laws is a violation. Implementing this law would result in legal residents and citizens being asked.
Doesn't matter what you believe, what matters is how SCOTUS has determined that illegals are only covered by Due Process and Equal Protection clauses of the 4th, 6th, and 14th Amendments. The state already asks students to prove they live within that particular district, why can't the school ask for more then the basic bill with a name of the parent within that district? Why can't the state ask for proof of legal residency? Private schools can deny a child entrance, it is only public schools that can not.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:38 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,078,722 times
Quote:
That's not what the article states. It states that they were asking students to prove they didn't break immigation laws, which is a violation of the 4th amendment of the bill of rights.
From the article:The 11th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Alabama schools provision wrongly singles out children who are in the country illegally....Judges said fear of the law “significantly deters undocumented children from enrolling in and attending school ....”

Please try again. You might also want to actually read the 11th Circuit Ruling. Nothing in there about breaking immigration law in this instance, or the 4th Amendment. The court links to 8 U.S.C. § 1643(a)(2) and then states: We have found in the private plaintiffs’ companion case, No. 11-14535, that section 28 violates the Equal Protection Clause as interpreted in Plyler. The Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment as I stated. The argument and ruling was about the classification of the child as determined by the school (only the Feds can determine status of Citizenship or not), not about the child proving whether he/she was legal or not. The State and the county can determine Residency, legal or not.

Section 28:
Quote:
Next, section 28 provides a process for schools to collect data about the
immigration status of students who enroll in public school. Schools are required
to determine whether an enrolling child “was born outside the jurisdiction of the
United States or is the child of an alien not lawfully present in the United States.”
Id. § 31-13-27(a)(1). That determination is made based on the birth certificate of
the child. Id. § 31-13-27(a)(2). If none is available, or if the certificate reflects
that “the student was born outside . . . the United States or is the child of an alien
not lawfully present in the United States,” then the enrolling child’s parent or
guardian must notify the school of the “actual citizenship or immigration status of
the student under federal law.” Id. § 31-13-27(a)(3). This notification consists of
(a) official citizenship or immigration documentation and (b) an attestation under
penalty of perjury that the document identifies the child. Id. § 31-13-27(a)(4). If
the statutory notification is not provided, then the student is presumed to be “an
alien unlawfully present in the United States.” Id. § 31-13-27(a)(5).

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 08-21-2012 at 02:22 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 01:56 PM

63,060 posts, read 29,256,181 times
This topic must have been moved over here from the Politics and Other Controversies forum. I understand why it was moved here but it wasn't moved here until it reached at least well over a dozen or more pages. Is that normal?

After reading certain posts under this topic I have to say I have never heard such repitious responses in my life with exact sentences and words posted over and over again. Kind of like having a robot on board. Just my two cents worth.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:07 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,872,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
This topic must have been moved over here from the Politics and Other Controversies forum. I understand why it was moved here but it wasn't moved here until it reached at least well over a dozen or more pages. Is that normal?

After reading certain posts under this topic I have to say I have never heard such repitious responses in my life with exact sentences and words posted over and over again. Kind of like having a robot on board. Just my two cents worth.

Or reading from a predetermined script... Are CD posters using teleprompters these days???

Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,922,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Get rid of the freebie social welfare programs that promote dependency on the government.

How many poor uneducated illegals would bother coming here if there were no welfare programs to give them money ? If poverty in the US were the same as poverty in other countries then we'd see a lot less poor coming here.

"You cannot simultaneously have free immigration and a welfare state." Milton Friedman

Old 08-21-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I believe the Bill of Rights covers non citizens ,but even if it doesn't, asking one citizen to prove they haven't broken any laws is a violation. Implementing this law would result in legal residents and citizens being asked.
Then I guess asking a driver for his driver's license during a traffic stop by a police officer would be unconstitutional by your logic? How about boarding a plane? How about applying for a job? How about a parent having to prove their child is old enough to enroll in kindergarten wouldn't that be unconstitutional by your logic? I could name several more incidents where ID and proof of this or that is required but these are just a few that come to mind.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:43 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,695,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Stop lying.

Immigrants also have money automatically deducted directly from their paychecks —even those who are here illegally. But how? Well, the Social Security Administration estimates that 75% of undocumented immigrants are actually on formal payrolls and are paid by check just like anyone else. They get on the payroll by using fake or fraudulent social security numbers or social security numbers of the deceased, which are easily available from counterfeiters for a couple hundred dollars. A growing number of undocumented immigrants now file their income taxes using Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITINs). ITINs are issued by the IRS for filing purposes only and do not provide permission to work. According to the most recent estimates, at least 3 million unauthorized immigrants filed income taxes using ITINs in 2009. (NOTE: the IRS does not report undocumented immigrants to the Department of Homeland Security.)

Sales Tax: Every time you buy something, you pay sales tax. That money goes to state and local governments. Staying at a hotel or renting a car, you pay state and local taxes. If you fill up your gas tank, you automatically pay state and federal gasoline taxes. If you buy liquor or cigarettes, you automatically pay various local, state, and federal excise taxes. Immigrants—legal and illegal—all buy things, and thus pay these taxes as part of their purchase.

Property Tax: Local governments also collect property taxes, which are a percentage of the value of one’s home and fund services like schools, certain medical services, and police and fire stations. Immigrants—legal and illegal—pay these taxes directly if they own a home, or indirectly if they rent (clearly, landlords factor property taxes into rent).
Stealing someone's SSN and using it as your own is a felony.

BTW, if it costs taxpayers $10,000 to send just one illegal alien's child to our schools, that eliminates every tax you claim they have paid. If that same illegal alien family gets free school lunches, free social welfare assistance, that further increases their burden on society. In other words, they end up being a net loss, because the tax monies they receive far out weight the taxes you claim they pay. Then, if they use our emergency rooms as their free clinic, then we are forced to pay an even heavier burden to support them.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Or reading from a predetermined script... Are CD posters using teleprompters these days???
Not only were the same old lines repeated over and over ad nauseum but someone seems to think this is their own personal conservative bashing topic. Regardless if one is a conservative or a liberal most Americans realize that we have to limit our immigration numbers. That doesn't make them an anti-immigrant.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:55 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,340,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Not only were the same old lines repeated over and over ad nauseum but someone seems to think this is their own personal conservative bashing topic. Regardless if one is a conservative or a liberal most Americans realize that we have to limit our immigration numbers. That doesn't make them an anti-immigrant.
EXACTLY...it makes them pro-American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration