Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 03:09 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,592 times

Advertisements

Yes, I happen to know plenty of kids, high school age, who would work for minimum wage...that's part of growing up....we all were fortunate to have the opportunity...it's a shame the opportunity dosn't exist much anymore for our teens, thanks to illegals lowering the standards.. and by the way, what do you mean "work for minimum wage or LESS"? Legal citizens do NOT work for less than mini wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 03:11 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,166,444 times
Well - I personal know farmers who do all their own work ─ Family Members.

Kids have done jobs for extra money. I did when I was a kid..

Who said Illegals or Legals are all Hispanics? Not I...

Well they should educate themselves in their homeland(s)

So, basically I've ripped apart your theories - as why WE need them here ── to do these so called jobs Americans won't do...

Old 10-13-2007, 03:17 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
In parts of Maine kids still get harvest season off from school to help on the farms.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:22 PM

491 posts, read 1,434,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
Well - I personal know farmers who do all their own work ─ Family Members.

Kids have done jobs for extra money. I did when I was a kid..

Who said Illegals or Legals are all Hispanics? Not I...

Well they should educate themselves in their homeland(s)

So, basically I've ripped apart your theories - as why WE need them here ── to do these so called jobs Americans won't do...
Well, farmers around here are getting older and older, most of them don't have families to do the labor, their family members go to college, get an education and move away to cities that offer other opportunities.

kids aren't willing to do physical labor like they used to. i have done much harder work than that since i was a pre teen, but most don't. and almost no kids that i know are willing to pick fruit or vegetables or tie grapes in the dead of winter for minimum wage or much less.

As for education, did you realize in the early 1900s that many eastern europeans came here, set up villages, and the GOVERNMENT PAID FOR THEIR EDUCATION IN THEIR NATIVE LANGUAGES? its been the same for hundreds of years.

if you are willing to come pick fruit and vegetables for minimum wage or less, for the good of the country, please come help us out, god knows we could use it.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:26 PM

491 posts, read 1,434,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
Yes, I happen to know plenty of kids, high school age, who would work for minimum wage...that's part of growing up....we all were fortunate to have the opportunity...it's a shame the opportunity dosn't exist much anymore for our teens, thanks to illegals lowering the standards.. and by the way, what do you mean "work for minimum wage or LESS"? Legal citizens do NOT work for less than mini wage.
then it doesn't get done. many farmers can't afford to pay more, or they go out of business and no one else is coming in to take them over. And no, not many teens are willing to stand out in sub freezing temperatures with FEET of snow to tie grapes. they just aren't willing, and with school going, many don't even have the time. Back in the day kids would skip classes to do it, but that isn't allowed anymore.

Are you going to tell a lifelong farmer and his family that he has to give up the family business?

Old 10-13-2007, 03:36 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
then it doesn't get done. many farmers can't afford to pay more, or they go out of business and no one else is coming in to take them over. And no, not many teens are willing to stand out in sub freezing temperatures with FEET of snow to tie grapes. they just aren't willing, and with school going, many don't even have the time. Back in the day kids would skip classes to do it, but that isn't allowed anymore.

Are you going to tell a lifelong farmer and his family that he has to give up the family business?

Well I think the problem here in lies, with the way kids are being raised. I raise my kids to be responsible, they have chores to do and if they could work part time after school tieing grapes, I would hope that they would accept the opportunity and be the best grape tie-er they could be. Parents are letting their kids walk all over them and I am afraid we are raising a weak minded generation, but I guess that needs to be covered in another forum. As for farmers losing the farm. I would hate to see that, but I still can't condone illegal workers helping them out.
My husband and I come from a long line of farmers and I think they would roll in their grave seeing what's becoming of the American farmer.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
OK, I'll chip in. Take the hypothetical situation of a married American---say, the manager of a tire shop. His wife is a receptionist in a doctor's office. They hire an illegal Mexican maid--(let's call her "Blanca"--after all, there are WHITE Mexicans ).
This couple is not affluent. They make a modest double income. They pay the maid a small amount to show up one morning per week. She keeps ahead of some of the more tedious chores, and is happy to do so. (she has many other clients).
This couple could never afford a LEGAL person to do this job, and they know it. If "Blanca" ever quit, they'd simply learn to do without her services.

QUESTION: Is "Blanca" doing a job an American would do? Or is she simply doing a job that is only there because of her presence, and the opportunity this gives to her, and her customers, to "work out a deal"?

I think that's a fair question....
I pay a legal US citizen $50.00 per week for basic house cleaning. Vacume dust clean the bathrooms once a week. She would have done it for less but she is a friend of my family so I was honor bound to give her more. There are many stay at home wives who do this under the table. Is it cheating? LOL no doubt about it but I can forgive a us citizen far more easily than some sneak who crossed our borders with total disregard of our laws and then thumb their noses at us when we question their right to stay here.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,899 times
the jobs didn't get stolen from Americans is just Americans could easily find a job doing something els (less hard work) and and immigrant would only get heired for hard work and do you think I'm going to pay someone $20.00 the hour to come do my house maint. hell no.. i pay 60.00 a month to have my yard and pool maint. and 30.00 a month for my house work. i also have a Mexican mechanic that maintenance my cars at a really low price. if these services weren't offered to me at this price i would basically do them my self. i wouldn't pay some one top dollar to do this work.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:15 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
I don't know what your talking about, everyone from my high school seems to have a job. I've talked with my friends about this. I asked them if they were ever replaced by a Mexican. They say that they work with them and that they're funny. They've never had a problem getting a job. In fact, I'm about to be hired by the newly remodeled taco bell in town

Old 10-14-2007, 04:42 AM

206 posts, read 615,568 times
Angry Funny If It Was True

ALL THE JOBS THAT AMERCANS WONT DO IVE DONE

gardening

lawn mowing
nannny
wash dishes
fast food
ship/packing
factory
laundry

housekeeper

NOT BAD FOR A LAZY BORN WHITE AMIERCAN

IF YOU WANT TO WORK YOU WILL, TAKE ANY JOB OUT THERE TO FEED YOUR FAMILY. MAYBE IF BUSH WOULD STOP TELLING EVERYONE THAT ANERICANS ARE LAZY ,THE MEXICANS WOULD GO AWAY AND WE WILL HAVE MORE JOBS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration