Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should we do in the short term about the illegal immigrant children sitting in detention?
If they have American Families, let them stay 11 6.40%
Deport them immediately to Mexico (Where they crossed) 49 28.49%
Deport them immediately to their home country 103 59.88%
If they don't have American family put them in foster care in the USA 9 5.23%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 05:41 AM

577 posts, read 900,470 times

Advertisements

What to do with them really depends on the age of the children. There seems to be a lot of secrecy about exactly how young these "children" are. From the few reports I've read the majority are teenagers which would follow a trend of teenage boys from central america coming up through mexico to the states riding freight trains. This has been going on for years but is ever-increasing. It's a perilous journey and there is simply no way a young child could survive unaccompanied, which makes me wonder how many truly unaccompanied young children there are.

So if there really is a sizable number of very young children they should immediately be put in foster care. Yes it will be expensive but for a child younger than 8- maybe a little younger if you want to be tough- this is the only humane thing to do. They should then go through the process of being declared abandoned, or reunited with family, and if abandoned adopted asap, since no one typically wants to adopt older kids.

As for the older kids- and probably a lot are lying about their age as I'm sure they've been told to do (also central americans are short, so it will be easy for the kids to pass for younger)- I wish I had a decent solution. Legally if they say they want amnesty they cannot be sent back immediately and will have to go through the whole legal process that is in place, and will have plenty of time to slip away while they await their hearings. Most estimates say 70% will manage to remain legally or illegally.

Ultimately the only thing to do is to enforce the border with the cooperation of mexico, but we've been talking about that for how long now? The powers that be don't want it to happen, and until then, it won't take place.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:51 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
What to do with them really depends on the age of the children. There seems to be a lot of secrecy about exactly how young these "children" are. From the few reports I've read the majority are teenagers which would follow a trend of teenage boys from central america coming up through mexico to the states riding freight trains. This has been going on for years but is ever-increasing. It's a perilous journey and there is simply no way a young child could survive unaccompanied, which makes me wonder how many truly unaccompanied young children there are.

So if there really is a sizable number of very young children they should immediately be put in foster care. Yes it will be expensive but for a child younger than 8- maybe a little younger if you want to be tough- this is the only humane thing to do. They should then go through the process of being declared abandoned, or reunited with family, and if abandoned adopted asap, since no one typically wants to adopt older kids.

As for the older kids- and probably a lot are lying about their age as I'm sure they've been told to do (also central americans are short, so it will be easy for the kids to pass for younger)- I wish I had a decent solution. Legally if they say they want amnesty they cannot be sent back immediately and will have to go through the whole legal process that is in place, and will have plenty of time to slip away while they await their hearings. Most estimates say 70% will manage to remain legally or illegally.

Ultimately the only thing to do is to enforce the border with the cooperation of mexico, but we've been talking about that for how long now? The powers that be don't want it to happen, and until then, it won't take place.
Detains those "kids" till they can PROVE they have the right to be in the US, even if it means changing the laws to make that happen. That'll stop most of that crossing from LatAm real fast.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:00 AM

877 posts, read 1,316,826 times
Well since some of y'all in this section are in favor of paying more taxes I think y'all should come together, feed them, clothe them and send them back on their merry way. I'd even recommend that you all act as chaperones and go along with them to make sure they aren't killed(since that's a concern of y'all's).

Send them back. Again, why are the children from the Philippines and Democratic Republic of Congo not being let in when they come from worse conditions and statistically do better academically because they assimilate

Old 07-04-2014, 11:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Of course they shouldn't be let in in the first place, and they should all be deported along with any of their illegal relatives living here --- but I think we all know Obama doesn't intend to do that -- he's decided to pack the USA with the very impoverished of all of Latin America and just skyrocket the national debt to pay for them all.

These people are being welcomed by comfortable shelters, more food than they've ever laid eyes on before, doctors and nurses waiting to address each and every health issue. Very great expense to the taxpayers and absolutely no benefit to the American people at all.

Obama is showing the world that in spite of war veterans dying waiting to get an appointment, he's got a big heart and all illegals are tended to the moment they step their illegal feet over the border.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:25 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Of course they shouldn't be let in in the first place, and they should all be deported along with any of their illegal relatives living here --- but I think we all know Obama doesn't intend to do that -- he's decided to pack the USA with the very impoverished of all of Latin America and just skyrocket the national debt to pay for them all.

These people are being welcomed by comfortable shelters, more food than they've ever laid eyes on before, doctors and nurses waiting to address each and every health issue. Very great expense to the taxpayers and absolutely no benefit to the American people at all.

Obama is showing the world that in spite of war veterans dying waiting to get an appointment, he's got a big heart and all illegals are tended to the moment they step their illegal feet over the border.
I hope no one is surprised......

As a candidate he was very plain about spreading the wealth......worldwide.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:26 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

And some are still complaining!!!! LOL

Old 07-04-2014, 11:36 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
All of this is still garbage.

The unaccompanied minors are the subject of specific laws. We follow them until they are changed. And don't kid yourselves...there is no overall will to change them. Perhaps in an overall revamp of the immigration policy...but again we all know that is not going to happen.

To significantly reduce the illegal population would cost billions and take years. Again the popular will is mostly against such a step. And as the cost would be dealt with any support evaporates.

So the right is the parent of keeping it like it is. That will likely lead to a growth of the illegal population over the years. Luckily it can't get too much worse as we will eventually exhaust the strata of Mexico which is the principal contributor. But it can and will likely grow to 20 million. And then we can take another 30 or 40 years for those people to age out.

The right can and may well hold its ground. But only at the cost of a vastly enlarged illegal population.

Is it worth it?

Old 07-04-2014, 11:36 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
They were able to come here in their own so send them back in their own. I don't want to be heart less but since they were able to cross by themselves they can cross back again on their own.

Give them a flier how to come to the front door like we did.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:38 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
They were able to come here in their own so send them back in their own. I don't want to be heart less but since they were able to cross by themselves they can cross back again on their own.

Give them a flier how to come to the front door like we did.
Yes!!!

And that will make it Mexico's problem......in time Mexico will stop them at the Mexican southern boarder.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:11 PM

577 posts, read 900,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Well since some of y'all in this section are in favor of paying more taxes I think y'all should come together, feed them, clothe them and send them back on their merry way. I'd even recommend that you all act as chaperones and go along with them to make sure they aren't killed(since that's a concern of y'all's).

Send them back. Again, why are the children from the Philippines and Democratic Republic of Congo not being let in when they come from worse conditions and statistically do better academically because they assimilate
The problem is, all an immigrant has to do is say the word "amnesty" and they cannot be deported immediately. It triggers a whole legal process that has to be followed- so until the laws regarding this change the hands of immigration officials are tied and the "kids" (teens?) are here to stay indefinitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration