Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 12:10 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
This is a bilingual country, make an effort, learn Spanish, the european language spoken for the longest time in the US, also the fastest growing one.
I would take it a step further - this is not a bilingual country, it is a multilingual country. As in, just about every language spoken in the world is heard in our states.

In order for us to understand one another, we have all agreed to learn and speak one language in common - and that is English. Everyone is free to speak and learn other languages as they see necessary.

The idea that bilingual automatically = English/Spanish is quite self-centered coming from the Spanish-speaking community in the US, if I must say so myself. How many Spanish-only speakers in the US want to learn Tagalog, Vietnamese, Russian, etc.? If they are refusing to learn English, I suspect those other languages are out of the question.

Here's my proposition - those in the US who don't already speak Spanish, can ELECT to learn it, once all the Spanish-only speakers have already learned to speak ENGLISH. Further, I would not allow native Spanish speakers in public high school to take beginning Spanish classes - doesn't seem like they would learn much, right?

Old 04-10-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
However, if there were a GROUP of Martians living in your town, and they had established their businesses in that town, then the Martians are going to patronize the business where THEIR language is spoken.

If that isn't yours, you're the one who will lose out.
That's is fine and dandy for the niche Martian market - but the Martian business will fail to make a dent in any other sector aside from their own.

Seems like the Martians would be the true losers in that scenario.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:22 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I would take it a step further - this is not a bilingual country, it is a multilingual country. As in, just about every language spoken in the world is heard in our states.

In order for us to understand one another, we have all agreed to learn and speak one language in common - and that is English. Everyone is free to speak and learn other languages as they see necessary.

The idea that bilingual automatically = English/Spanish is quite self-centered coming from the Spanish-speaking community in the US, if I must say so myself. How many Spanish-only speakers in the US want to learn Tagalog, Vietnamese, Russian, etc.? If they are refusing to learn English, I suspect those other languages are out of the question.

Here's my proposition - those in the US who don't already speak Spanish, can ELECT to learn it, once all the Spanish-only speakers have already learned to speak ENGLISH. Further, I would not allow native Spanish speakers in public high school to take beginning Spanish classes - doesn't seem like they would learn much, right?
Hey I know Spanish/English/Some French/German and I am working on Mandarin, but you're right it is a personal choice.

It was also the choice of this country to not make an official language. To me this was purposely done to allow the dynamics of this country to change.

When you go to parts of Mississippi you will notice French Speakers, if you goto Miami there are Spanish and Portuguese Speakers. This country allows for this dynamic and to me it is a good thing, who knows maybe Spanish is the superior language? I think in some ways it is, I think it is a much simpler language.

IMO everyone should learn Mandarin and make that the next American language...watch out that day is coming.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:28 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
To those who oppose English as the "offical" language of the United States - let's be clear: At no time has anyone said, suggested, intimidated, inferred, referred etc., anything that could even be remotely interperted as meaning that ONLY English could be spoken in the United States.

"English Only" merely, and solely means, that, for the purpose of all GOVERNMENT business, English would be the only language ENFORCED. For instance - Government documents, such as Passports, Contracts etc would be in English to be ENFORCEABLE.

"English Only" will not, and does not, prohibit the speaking of other languages in order to assist non-english speaking people conduct business.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:47 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Hey I know Spanish/English/Some French/German and I am working on Mandarin, but you're right it is a personal choice.

It was also the choice of this country to not make an official language. To me this was purposely done to allow the dynamics of this country to change.

When you go to parts of Mississippi you will notice French Speakers, if you goto Miami there are Spanish and Portuguese Speakers. This country allows for this dynamic and to me it is a good thing, who knows maybe Spanish is the superior language? I think in some ways it is, I think it is a much simpler language.

IMO everyone should learn Mandarin and make that the next American language...watch out that day is coming.
China may have above 1 Billion people........remember that over 80% of them are poor.............can someone say another possible 'Cultural Revolution'------if the fat cats remain greedy.

Besides; there is that other 800 lb. gorilla in the room from China's geopolitical perspective---------India.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:50 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

Why Mandarin?

There are 51 Chinese Dialects

Old 04-10-2008, 12:56 PM

969 posts, read 2,852,002 times
Quote:
However, if there were a GROUP of Martians living in your town, and they had established their businesses in that town, then the Martians are going to patronize the business where THEIR language is spoken.

If that isn't yours, you're the one who will lose out.
Nope THEY will lose - because we WON't put the driving test in Martian so they will be restricted to the Martian stores they can walk to - or learn enough EARTH TALK to ride the correct bus.

See how foolish accomodation sounds when NO ONE speaks Martian? And if the Martians come here WILLINGLY - why should I learn MARTIAN?

Old 04-10-2008, 01:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
That's is fine and dandy for the niche Martian market - but the Martian business will fail to make a dent in any other sector aside from their own.

Seems like the Martians would be the true losers in that scenario.
If they look like us, and also speak our language...if in fact, they know SEVERAL languages, like I do...I don't think they'll lose out.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Nope THEY will lose - because we WON't put the driving test in Martian so they will be restricted to the Martian stores they can walk to - or learn enough EARTH TALK to ride the correct bus.

See how foolish accomodation sounds when NO ONE speaks Martian? And if the Martians come here WILLINGLY - why should I learn MARTIAN?
Why would you want to DRIVE to places to work and shop? Why wouldn't they be close enough to walk to? Within five miles, in other words.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
If they look like us, and also speak our language...if in fact, they know SEVERAL languages, like I do...I don't think they'll lose out.
Them's a lot of "if"s....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration