U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2008, 09:21 AM
 
25,084 posts, read 13,918,979 times
Reputation: 41737

Advertisements

America should be respected by everyone here especially those here illegally. Illegal immigration is a crime, but we passionate Americans cannot allow this issue to reduce us to criminal acts too. I applaud this vet's heroism, American pride and I agree- the American flag is the only flag that should be flying and given sovereign respect on American soil. However, in America no one is above the law. This is one of the reason illegal immigration is so hottly protested- a group of criminals are placing themselves above Americans and American law and it just "aint gone fly" well in America. I am sad to hear of a vet being arrested and chargred. I am equally disappointed that our current immigration policies are placing the American people in a position to choose between patriotism to their country or civil disobedience. If Americans went to Mexico and acted the same way some illegal immigrants are carrying on here, the only due process of law they would recieve is a long stretch in a Mexican prison or a swift death from a firing squad. Americans want the same thing people in other countries want. We want respect in our own country...after all these are the precious ideals we have fought for and paid the price in blood. Flying the Mexican flag in America may not be illegal, but is just wrong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2008, 09:43 PM
 
7 posts, read 13,563 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I oppose illegal immigration. I oppose it on principle; that being, the sovereignty of a self-governing people. I also oppose it because, quite simply, it's dishonest. It's a scam.

I don't dislike Mexicans.

I blame most of my problems on myself.

Therefore, I can conclude that your conclusion is inaccurate.
Illegal Immigration is wrong, sure, I'm not arguing that. What I am saying is that increasing resentful feelings towards a group of people is unproductive at best and, well lets not get into what could happen. However many threads seem to be focused around this. I said that we should work on legalizing Immigration as it is clear that we can not control it. And while you might not dislike Mexicans there is definitely hate by just looking through some of these posts like the one i pointed out a bit back in which the term "third-worlders" was used.
That phrasing alone shows how we view other people from "third world countries" Clearly showing we are better. Obviously saying we should kick out Muslims is insane, what happened to freedom of speech.
Its great that you don't share this hate, and you probably shouldn't blame most of your problems on yourself anyways, it makes you feel better xD.
I am saying that there are ways of reducing illegal immigration and its impact, and that is what we should head towards instead of pushing plans based on dislike with little or no foundation which only add to resentful feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2008, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Helena, Montana
2,010 posts, read 2,043,399 times
Reputation: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealariser View Post
I said that we should work on legalizing Immigration as it is clear that we can not control it.
I disagree. We most definitely CAN control it, the problem is there are too many corrupt politicians who get their pockets lined to look the other way and allow it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2008, 10:41 PM
 
1,818 posts, read 2,735,749 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc View Post
I'm from the U.K.
It doesn't suprise me that so many talk so highly of thier veterans and you should! They were willing to fight and die for you cause and freedom.
So why then are the majority of the older guys begging on the streets veterans ?
Why doesn't your elected governments ( that you guys voted in!! ) not have the same high regard as you guys ???? Why are they not given a help in hand that will make a difference, homeless shelters aren't a means to an end, nor is the odd food voucher.
Believe you me, and i say this with respect but the U.S is frowned upon most european countries because of your lack of assistance to these people.
Whether your political opinion believes your troops should be out in Viet,Iraq or Afgan is by the by, you HAVE to support your countrymen period. And when it's all over and see one begging on the street don't adopt the " Well, i didn't want you there in the first place" attitude.
I hope i haven't offended anyone here, i love you country, but please look after you vets a bit better.
You are correct and ArizonaBear hit the nail on the head. Our vet's should have the very best treatment they can get and unless it is brought out openly it is usually swept under the carpet. Almost all Americans want the best for our veterans, but the goverment needs to do more. They should have the best hospitals and the best follow up care they can get, some of our VA hospitals are pathetic.
Most Americans even if they do not agree with the war, they do support the troops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2008, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Where there is too much snow!
6,076 posts, read 10,742,729 times
Reputation: 2923
Being that I am a Retired 21 year Disabled Vet, I'd like say thank you for your kind words and thank you America for allowing me to serve in your Military.

But as for the Mexican Flag being flown higher than the American Flag, let them do it if they want. Please don't get me wrong, I really don't like anymore than most of you. But as I use to tell the men under my command when they would complain about the gays, college kids protest, Legal aliens and everything else that came across the pike. "Boys, your wearing the wrong uniform, because the one that you are wearing represents freedom under the Constitution of the United States". When you swore in, you said that you would uphold and defend the Costitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic and that means that your protecting thier rights to do so. "So until the government makes illegal to do so, then I guess they can do it if they want".

SAD TO SAY, BUT TRUE .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2008, 11:08 AM
 
3,424 posts, read 5,090,879 times
Reputation: 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealariser View Post
Illegal Immigration is wrong, sure, I'm not arguing that. What I am saying is that increasing resentful feelings towards a group of people is unproductive at best and, well lets not get into what could happen. However many threads seem to be focused around this. I said that we should work on legalizing Immigration as it is clear that we can not control it. And while you might not dislike Mexicans there is definitely hate by just looking through some of these posts like the one i pointed out a bit back in which the term "third-worlders" was used.
That phrasing alone shows how we view other people from "third world countries" Clearly showing we are better. Obviously saying we should kick out Muslims is insane, what happened to freedom of speech.
Its great that you don't share this hate, and you probably shouldn't blame most of your problems on yourself anyways, it makes you feel better xD.
I am saying that there are ways of reducing illegal immigration and its impact, and that is what we should head towards instead of pushing plans based on dislike with little or no foundation which only add to resentful feelings.

Isn't there a form of immigration thats already legalized though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2008, 11:50 AM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,064,640 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealariser View Post
Illegal Immigration is wrong, sure, I'm not arguing that. What I am saying is that increasing resentful feelings towards a group of people is unproductive at best and, well lets not get into what could happen.
What are you saying? I shouldn't be resentful of people who do something, that you agree, is wrong? Sorry, but that is a ridiculous request.
Quote:
I said that we should work on legalizing Immigration as it is clear that we can not control it.
Total bull. Wrongs can be contolled. When they get out of hand, the answer isn't to give up. The answer is to fight harder.

The reason illegal immigration is out of control isn't because we can't stop it. It's because we haven't even tried to stop it.

Stop enforcing any law and we will see an increase in that law being broken.

What you're claiming is analagous to legalizing car theft if the owner leaves his car unlocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top