Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:58 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidenmaine View Post
Perhaps because the US is one of the VERY FEW countries in the world that is mono-lingual - perhaps because Spanish is one of the top five languages spoken on the planet - perhaps because there are more LEGALS and illegals in the US. And lastly, perhaps because their Spanish grammar is certainly more enhanced than yours.
What is your point?

Spanish; like French is quite provincial----------neither tongue is widely used outside of French/Spanish language dominant countries.

Whereas English is the lingua franca of the world---------it is used everywhere to some degree.

Last edited by ArizonaBear; 12-22-2008 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: Bad grammar

Old 12-22-2008, 06:49 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
They were discussing something that was not for your ears...I talk Spanish to my wife when I do not want the kids to know what we are discussing. Like what we are buying them for Christmas...

Ever go into a Chinese place for your nails? Well...all the chatter that you do not understand is about you... J/k...

But seriously, many people talk to each other in their native languages. I hear Arabic, Chinese, etc all the time. I hear Italian spoken all the time at a local pizza joint...usually the owner giving instructions to his employees/family...

And FYI many French in France are going to know Spanish because most Euros know many languages...
I have no issue with people speaking to each other in their native tongue. I just wish that all immigrants make an effort to learn our language and not expect us all to accommodate them.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
bek our government in its wisdom has sold you down the river.
under the table NAFTA for the last 30 years.
without unions we will stand on our heads and whistle dixie if it is requested.
aside from that --- speaking spanish is useful pretty easy for a young kid to learn.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:51 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
That's why English needs to be the OFFICIAL LANGUAGE of this country. And no I don't feel left out, I just feel its very rude. I guess you failed to see my point that alot of people share with me. If they want to speak Spanish they can, in MEXICO!

When a group of people are sitting at a table with you and having a conversation with you and then they turn to each other and speak some foreign jibberish, its not "eavesdropping", ITS BEING RUDE......What part of that do you not understand? Or are you one of those that speak English and then turn to your friend and speak Spanish??? I think I already know my answer, thank you!!
I agree ... It is rude to deliberately speak Spanish (or another foreign language) in the presence of others who do not speak that language. Do that in the privacy of your home.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:50 AM

858 posts, read 3,044,446 times
Know what I think is RUDE.. When I'm out at a store and theirs 2 or more illegals in front of me speaking spanish.. Then they look at you with a big smile the whole time.. I might just have to learn it so I know what there saying about me!!

Old 12-23-2008, 05:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Know what I think is RUDE.. When I'm out at a store and theirs 2 or more illegals in front of me speaking spanish.. Then they look at you with a big smile the whole time.. I might just have to learn it so I know what there saying about me!!
ROFL it can be eye opening.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:59 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Yeah, it's not your imagination or anything. They are all staring at you, and those blemishes you didn't think were noticeable? Oh they see them. The receding hairline you hoped no one could see? They see it.
Illegals have an innate ability to detect any insecurities, and are able to discuss it between themselves in their illegal code(spanish).

That's how you know they are illegals and not just spanish-speaking people, right? That ability they have is uncanny.

I think more studies needs to be done on this ability, along with the Korean ladies working the nail salons.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:21 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Yeah, it's not your imagination or anything. They are all staring at you, and those blemishes you didn't think were noticeable? Oh they see them. The receding hairline you hoped no one could see? They see it.
Illegals have an innate ability to detect any insecurities, and are able to discuss it between themselves in their illegal code(spanish).

That's how you know they are illegals and not just spanish-speaking people, right? That ability they have is uncanny.

I think more studies needs to be done on this ability, along with the Korean ladies working the nail salons.
Well I speak Thai. More than once I caught Thai speakers talking about Farrangs. A farrange is a light skinned foreigner. It happens and fairly often. More often not so much about me but Farrangs in general. When its me they talk about I say Yhet mang kwai mah. Which means F you dog dik.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:27 PM

858 posts, read 3,044,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
When its me they talk about I say Yhet mang kwai mah. Which means F you dog dik.
LMFAO.. lol

Old 12-23-2008, 08:44 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well I speak Thai. More than once I caught Thai speakers talking about Farrangs. A farrange is a light skinned foreigner. It happens and fairly often. More often not so much about me but Farrangs in general. When its me they talk about I say Yhet mang kwai mah. Which means F you dog dik.
OK, tinman -- it's christmas, and it's only fair you finish that story!
What is their reaction? Have you learned more Thai from the encounters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.