Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 03:42 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I am not buying any of this crap. My Ancestors came to this Country from Italy for a better life, They to had small children. Guess what they made sure they learned the english language and very well, in the home they only spoke English, and to each other and other family members Italian. No excuses, sorry, when you move to this Country, and want the privlages that go with it, Learn English, my family also worked, and had children. No excuses and no free passes. If you don't want to take the time to learn the language of this Country, simple then, don't MOVE HERE....................
Absolutely!!!!

Old 04-30-2010, 03:43 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
That's the way it's worded, but I'm sure you understand what the OP means.
That is not what i am thinking, most of our friends are of spanish decent, guess what, the chidlren most of them, don't even speak Spanish, they speak English. Of course the parents speak both english and spanish, but they do speak English to. Our Hispanis Friends only look at themselves as Americans to be honest with you.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:43 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
[/b]

Yea, and you still haven't gotten it through your head.
Quote:
18th and 19th century huh? Ok yea that applies.

These are the kind of threads that make anti's look racist. You disregard your own white history which shows assimilation problems of Irish, Germans, Italians and Poles, to make assertions about the present day Hispanic immigrants.

This thread isn't about illegals, it is much to do about ignorance.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:45 PM

We have a neighbor whom I believe maybe an illegal, but my daughter and her daughter play together. Her parents speak NO English, not a freaking word and she says they have been here about 15years, but she wont speak anything else about them and wont stay at our home long. 15 years? No excuse for not knowing some English!! Heck my grandma did it in 2.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:45 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,684 times
Agreed. This is not the place for this conversation. Those migrating here legally are required to have a working knowledge of the English language. Mods will pick it up and move it probably.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:46 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
It's the official language after all.
No, but in the same vein, bilinguilism in English and Spanish shouldn't be a requirement for an American citizen or legal green card holder to get a job either. No one should be required to learn English, but we shouldn't be bending over backwards translating everything into other languages for the non-English speakers either.

When my grandparents emigrated, it was sink or swim. You learned English or you floundered in American society. I see no reason for it to be otherwise now. Generations of immigrants learned English because they had to. That isn't something we should be giving people a pass on now.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
We have a neighbor whom I believe maybe an illegal, but my daughter and her daughter play together. Her parents speak NO English, not a freaking word and she says they have been here about 15years, but she wont speak anything else about them and wont stay at our home long. 15 years? No excuse for not knowing some English!! Heck my grandma did it in 2.
And at the same time there were Germans and Italians within our history who did not speak English after 15 years as well. Hispanics are just the latest wave.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
No, but in the same vein, bilinguilism in English and Spanish shouldn't be a requirement for an American citizen or legal green card holder to get a job either. No one should be required to learn English, but we shouldn't be bending over backwards translating everything into other languages for the non-English speakers either.

When my grandparents emigrated, it was sink or swim. You learned English or you floundered in American society. I see no reason for it to be otherwise now. Generations of immigrants learned English because they had to. That isn't something we should be giving people a pass on now.
Hispanics are learning English at the same rate other major waves of immigrants did. Do you have any proof to say otherwise, besides anecdotal?

Old 04-30-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
These are the kind of threads that make anti's look racist. You disregard your own white history which shows assimilation problems of Irish, Germans, Italians and Poles, to make assertions about the present day Hispanic immigrants.

This thread isn't about illegals, it is much to do about ignorance.
And you are putting ALL "white" immigrants into a neat little box. Well hate to tell ya, they don't fit. I am sure they had assimilation issues based on the way they were treated by Americans and the fact they had no "help" or resources, unlike the illegals do today, but that doesn't equate to flat out not trying. You cant compare, times have changed, free ESL and welfare and health care, you cant compare the times.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:50 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Why single out Hispanics? No we don't need a law to force the issue. What we need to do is stop facilitating and creating the enviroment that makes it an uneeded challenge.
No more press 1 for english when dealing with the gov. Either speak English or provide your own translator.
But no we should not single out any group. That is just wrong on every level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration