Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:22 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times

Advertisements

My GOD! Why on earth should you have to show stubs??? What kind of operation is this anyway? I've never heard of such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Olson View Post
Hi all,

First post here. I hope you can help me out.. I might have f*** up a great opportunity.

I am currently employed but looking for something new. I currently make 48k and I fell that I am underpaid in many ways.
I went to a interview a few weeks ago and it went really good until he asked me how much I currently made.. I answered that I made 60k which is a fair salary for my current position at this moment.

Three days later they email me with a offer of 62k.. great! well just until they asked me for pay stubs as corporate office need to be substantiated to my offer.

Yes, I shouldn't have lied.. too bad. But again, am I interested in working for a company asking me for paystubs? Should I confess or refuse to show stubs?

Benjamin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:23 AM

That's excellent advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I wouldn't show the stubs. You already lied so by confessing will not come off as being honest, it will get you automatically disqualified.

I think the best you can do is say you're not comfortable with sharing that information and see what they say.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:24 AM

Me neither. Heck, you're right. They'll next require a proctology exam!

American companies are highly invasive, aren't they? And then they have the audacity to require that employees not share with one another the salaries they make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
No kidding. I have never in my life been asked for pay stubs after accepting a job offer.

What will they demand next? Interviews with relatives and walk-through tours of your home?

Old 06-28-2012, 10:25 AM

Invasive bs. Typical of corporations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Olson View Post
Thank you all.

This is the HR managers copy/pasted email from him to me.

What do you recommend as an answer?

Old 06-28-2012, 10:29 AM

I couldn't agree with you more. This is why I have 0 respect for corporations. They're trash in suits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Let me see if I understand this in the context of so many other threads here. Companies totally screw the person seeking a position by not advertising the pay for a position. But the company wants to confirm that the salary the one stated is currently receiving is true, they have no right to know. And then there are the evil companies who tell you what the salary is for the position, but offer you less. But it's OK to knowingly inflate one's salary by some 25% but then decline to prove one did not lie? I'm just trying to understand these new rules.

Now, if you stated "I believe my qualifications and experience can demand a salary of $60K for the position," cool. No issue. But it's going to come out that you lied to them. I hope it works out for you, but I have my doubts. Please come back and let us know.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 AM

Corporations are allowed to get away with anything, particularly lies. I was lied to at a job interview about the person I would be working with, but did that stop the company from lying to me? Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
More than likely the company has a set salary range for the position and the 62k is well above the current base so they are trying to justify why they are willing to offer you more than the standard. Basically they are saying they really like you but need justification.

I have heard of a W2 before for sales related jobs to verify if said salesperson is as "successful" as they present. Illegal? Absolutely not. Just a condition of the offer.

I caution the poster to play thus game carefully. During an employment verification they could possibly very well confirm salary based on what disclosure they have the person sign.

A lot of the advice on this thread is ridiculous and can get the op hired to be fired.

The best way to handle these types of interviews would to be honest about salary and then be very honest and clear what you will or will NOT accept for an offer.

The web the poster has weaves is that no matter what he says it will come off as a lie. The employer is not stupid and this whole bs about oh my current company won't let me is just that and they will know that.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:34 AM

I agree. There need to be laws prohibiting this bs in the same way HIPAA laws are strict about medical records. There are just certain things that must be kept private.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And you gave it to them?

And how does a tax return show your dates of employment?

This bullcrap by employers has got to stop.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:37 AM

ROFL! Yeah, exactly. Corporations are soo delighfully honest it just breaks my heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
Corporate America...the place where honesty matters...

Old 06-28-2012, 10:37 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
When I read all of the unethical ideas on here-- it makes me laugh that so many are so clutching their pearls about executives and the big bad corporations for being unethical, etc.

At the end of the day-- the corporation is run by people. People who probably let their integrity slip little by little so much so that they got absolutely used to just being completely shady so one day they turn out into full scum.

Not saying the OP is going to turn into a Bernie Madoff-- but the sheer numbers of folks who think it is not such a big deal to completely lie and even produced forged/counterfeit/fake whatever documents is beyond me and PROBABLY one of the very reasons why corporations DO such background checks.

I would hope you would ask yourself if you owned a business would you really want to hire an employee who thinks it is completely okay to make fake documents or bold out lie about their history? I would be worried that when faced with other uncomfortable decisions that they don't know how to really handle they would also lie, fake, etc.

As I said in my other post-- you can EASILY handle the question about salary with decorum and integrity.

I have done so before by saying something along the lines of, "Since coming into the organization we have had hiring freezes and increase freezes. At this point, I have gained additional XYZ skills and experience and the reason why I am leaving is because of XYZ's inability to pay me market rate, etc"
Although this won't help the OP, this is good advice for anyone contemplating lying about their current salary to a prospective employer ...

Old 06-28-2012, 10:41 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Why decline just refuse the pay stub and if they rescind the offer then that is that.
He could do that, but the new employer may decide to just go straight to the source and find out from the current employer what the last salary was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search