Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 08:05 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I think it's a good thing you are unhappy and motivated to get out. Don't listen to some who say there are a ton of people like you so this is normal. Be the one who refuses to accept the reality you are currently in and it will likely help you get out of it quicker.
Telling him that it is normal is not equal to "lose all motivation". It IS normal and if you paid attention to the OP's posts, he wants to be above normal. If anything, it should be a motivator to be exactly that...above normal even though he currently finds himself in a "normal" situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 08:25 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Telling him that it is normal is not equal to "lose all motivation". It IS normal and if you paid attention to the OP's posts, he wants to be above normal. If anything, it should be a motivator to be exactly that...above normal even though he currently finds himself in a "normal" situation.
It is not "normal" behavior to HAVE to move back with your parents after college It's a situation about half of college graduates have been put in by this economy for at least a couple years. Some have always chosen to move back home to save money even when they had jobs.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:18 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
It is not "normal" behavior to HAVE to move back with your parents after college It's a situation about half of college graduates have been put in by this economy for at least a couple years. Some have always chosen to move back home to save money even when they had jobs.
It is now normal. Things are no longer how they "used to be".

Old 08-19-2012, 11:18 AM

192 posts, read 324,462 times
One thing I notice in all your posts is how you keep on jumping from idea to idea. One post you said you want to move away from Atlanta, and most recently you said you want to move to inner-Atlanta. Same thing with your job ideas that you post about.

Your best bet right now is to settle on one particular goal, and then put a plan in motion to reach that goal. Jumping from idea to idea is not going to get you any closer to any goal in particular.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:31 PM

73,022 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamedown View Post
One thing I notice in all your posts is how you keep on jumping from idea to idea. One post you said you want to move away from Atlanta, and most recently you said you want to move to inner-Atlanta. Same thing with your job ideas that you post about.

Your best bet right now is to settle on one particular goal, and then put a plan in motion to reach that goal. Jumping from idea to idea is not going to get you any closer to any goal in particular.
I wanted to leave Paulding County first. I would like to have a change of geography and live away from the Atlanta area. However, at the moment, nothing from out of state is answering, so the best I can do is try to find something local. It is quick and it will get my foot in the door.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:45 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
Are you living at home? If so, I'm afraid you might be sitting at home for awhile.

I had trouble looking for work because I applied for tons of jobs and I keep getting ignored or rejected.

You might consider self employment like freelancing.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:41 PM

114 posts, read 239,831 times
I am in the same boat although I graduated in May and have been looking for work for about two months, I have signed up with a couple staffing firms and now Im heeding the advice of applying to less jobs and taking more time to personalize cover letters I feel thats the best way to get your foot in the door, digitally speaking

Also I got a degree in Political Science, so besides government jobs Im looking at sales, customer service, admin assistant, almost did a recruiter job but I dont like what they do, anyway maybe open your options for anything to get you working for now and move forward

Good luck

Old 08-19-2012, 05:00 PM

73,022 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Are you living at home? If so, I'm afraid you might be sitting at home for awhile.

I had trouble looking for work because I applied for tons of jobs and I keep getting ignored or rejected.

You might consider self employment like freelancing.
I'm living at home. And why would that mean I would be sitting at home for awhile?

I am trying to freelance. So far, there isn't alot of demand for freelance cartography. Right now I'm trying to finish a sci-fi novel. I keep putting it off because of writers block, but now I'm trying to do something about it.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:25 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm living at home. And why would that mean I would be sitting at home for awhile?

I am trying to freelance. So far, there isn't alot of demand for freelance cartography. Right now I'm trying to finish a sci-fi novel. I keep putting it off because of writers block, but now I'm trying to do something about it.
Well, you could attempt to finish your sci-fi novel and send it to make some money. You can write books and make money off them.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:03 PM

114 posts, read 239,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Bcuz you need 5 years exp for an entry level gig nowadays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search