Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2012, 09:48 AM

455 posts, read 1,398,413 times

Advertisements

Wow.....this is ridiculous. You can tell yourself all day you are going to beat out someone else but it's not up too you. And please lie all day long about anything you want...LOL. After your found out the job will open up for someone I hope doesn't participate in dishonest acts. I'm not sure what field your in but in my field lying is a death wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 09:59 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I play the same game they do.

There is no reason for them to check my credit rating, unless I'll be handling large sums of money which I probably won't. I don't mind criminal background checks as my record is clean. The employer doesn't need a copy of my paystubs, W2s or any other financial info that doesn't concern them.

I hear the reasons they want this is to confirm and "compare" a salary offer to you. I don't believe it. They're lying. They want this info to be NOSEY!! It doesn't matter what you made before, because they already have a salary CURRENTLY in mind which they plan on giving you no matter what you made previously.

Also, giving them access to facebook accounts is the absolute in disgust which is why I got rid of my facebook years ago. I can't control the people who have pics of me on their accounts, but as long as I don't have one, I'm cool.
Couldn't agree more. When in Rome, do as the Romans.

Also:
1) Credit report only if it directly applies to the responsibilities of the job.
2) Paystubs, W2s, tax info. Will not provide. Period. End of discussion. Non negotiable.
3) Any passwords to any accounts, regardless of nature of accounts. Same answer as in (2).

I don't have photos of me in my Facebook. I have put all settings to "Private" or to "Friends Only."
Same with LinkedIn. I don't have Twitter.

People in this country are still entitled to privacy and to be free from intrusion on their private lives. Their private lives have no bearing on the ability to do the job or their qualifications. We are not living in a Communist dictatorship in the 1950. I am not looking to work for Joe McCarthy or Joe Stalin.
Any employer who shows an unhealthy and morbid interest in my private life.. well, I'm out of there. Interview over. Moving on...next....

Old 12-22-2012, 10:35 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
Wow.....this is ridiculous. You can tell yourself all day you are going to beat out someone else but it's not up too you. And please lie all day long about anything you want...LOL. After your found out the job will open up for someone I hope doesn't participate in dishonest acts. I'm not sure what field your in but in my field lying is a death wish.
What did I say in my LAST post about corporations NOT having an "allegiance" to YOU??

Luckily, for my current position, I didn't have to lie, because it was basically a hookup, so they knew all about me before I got there. I was honest in what I could and could NOT do. If they had not hired me, I already had a "plan" in place.

I don't plan on staying at any company forever. I am currently making plans to have a business in place where I can work as a consultant or independent contract. I live below my means. I trust NO COMPANY no matter how much they say they "love my work". Yeah, okay.

I don't care if they find me out. For them to find me out after a year or so of working there means that they have plans to get rid of me. I'm hip to this game, so it's okay. I don't really care actually.

If I was unemployed for a long time, they know good and well they never would have hired me, so I have no qualms about lying to them. NONE AT ALL.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Ha! To be Christian is to admit that you're a sinner. You still sin, but are washed clean in God's eyes through the blood of the Lamb.

Sure, there are lying Christians. Christ did not come for the perfect. He came for the lowest of the low.

This thread may be a good sample of the population. People are anonymous here and can admit the truth without fear of repercussion. I think more people are lying now than ever before. Desperate times bring desperate measures.
To be Christian you have to be true to god (per Jesus). You cannot sin with intent. To be forgiven for a sin you have to believe that you are acting in the eyes of god at the time. Lying on purpose is not doing so.

Most importantly, however, is that lying or deceiving to get ahead is forbidden. Doing so on purpose basically means you're either not Christian or proudly going to hell.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:15 PM

I know plenty of people who either stretched dates to cover gaps, exaggerated titles and job duties, and some went as far as put jobs they never had and used their friend as reference. My good friend had a one year gap. He was perfectly qualified with education (2 degrees) and 10 years experience. The recession gave him a 1 year gap. He covered it up and used his entrepreneur friend as reference. Why should this good candidate starve to death, end up homeless or take a job in retail along ex-felons and welfare queens? He said, not on your life. He covered the 1 year gap. Big deal. He's been employed at his job for 2 years already, just got a promotion. Has another business on the side. I would hire him in a minute, lie and all. If the company REALLY wanted to get rid of him, they would have done so already. They would have hired a private investigator to go and snoop into corporate records of his friend, and interview neighbors, friends and others. Being that this is a private company, they are not going to use top clearance level snooping.

I can cite other examples but I think the point was made. Most people that are good at playing the game don't get "found out."

Old 12-22-2012, 12:21 PM

As far as being a "good Christian", not being one or "going to hell" are all highly subjective. We live in a society where there is separation of church and state. Our capitalist system very clearly follows that premise.

There is no place for religion in the workplace, or religious thinking. Religious dogma is inapplicable.

CEOs and corporate policy are the antithesis to Christian morality. We should hold CEOs and corporations to the same moral standard of accountability. Until we not only hold them to it, but enforce this so-called morality, when in Rome the job seeker must do as the Romans.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:29 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
As far as being a "good Christian", not being one or "going to hell" are all highly subjective. We live in a society where there is separation of church and state. Our capitalist system very clearly follows that premise.

There is no place for religion in the workplace, or religious thinking. Religious dogma is inapplicable.

CEOs and corporate policy are the antithesis to Christian morality. We should hold CEOs and corporations to the same moral standard of accountability. Until we not only hold them to it, but enforce this so-called morality, when in Rome the job seeker must do as the Romans.
As a Christian, an individual only answer to God. Not to corporations and not to CEOs. If someone wants to opt out of being Christian, I have no problem with it. But it's pretty low to lie about being Christian.

Also, you're stereotyping CEOs incorrectly. Most of them are honest people.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I know plenty of people who either stretched dates to cover gaps, exaggerated titles and job duties, and some went as far as put jobs they never had and used their friend as reference. My good friend had a one year gap. He was perfectly qualified with education (2 degrees) and 10 years experience. The recession gave him a 1 year gap. He covered it up and used his entrepreneur friend as reference. Why should this good candidate starve to death, end up homeless or take a job in retail along ex-felons and welfare queens?
Because telling the truth would be the good "christian" thing to do. LOL!

Quote:
He said, not on your life. He covered the 1 year gap. Big deal. He's been employed at his job for 2 years already, just got a promotion. Has another business on the side. I would hire him in a minute, lie and all. If the company REALLY wanted to get rid of him, they would have done so already.
Exactly! When they are ready to get rid of him, they'll find a bullcrap reason to and he'll be gone. Simple.

It's good to know that your friend was smart enough to have a side biz. This is my plan as well. I will never, ever become dependent on the GOVERNMENT for ANYTHING ever! I don't want their unemployment crap, especially with what they are putting people through to get it. I also do not want to receive their foodstamps help either. It amounts to practically nothing anyways and I heard NYC wants you to put in 80 hours a week to work for $200 in Foodstamps if you're single. This is approximately $2.50 an hour!! Are they crazy??!!

Like I said, I am making it my business to never rely on them for anything. I feel for those that do, because they are basically at the mercy of whatever the government wants them to do. I also don't have a problem with them selling their FS either. Like, how are they supposed to buy soap and other toiletries, especially tampons and toilet paper?? We as women NEED THESE THINGS in the USA.

We're not a third world country....yet.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
As a Christian, an individual only answer to God.
God will understand. Trust. LOL!

Quote:
Also, you're stereotyping CEOs incorrectly. Most of them are honest people.
Yes, of course they are.

Pass me some of that "Jesus Juice" you're drinking, because I want to be in fantasy land too.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:41 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
We should hold CEOs and corporations to the same moral standard of accountability. Until we not only hold them to it, but enforce this so-called morality, when in Rome the job seeker must do as the Romans.

If that were to happen, it would mean they are ready to ADMIT being liars. That is why they are not held to the same standard. People like to think that CEO's and Corporations do not lie when in fact they do on MANY levels. Until people can stop sweeping things under the rug, like many on here do, then we are stuck with those that don't hold CEO's and corporations to the same standard and they continue to make excuses as to why CEO's and Corporations can lie, but their applicants dare not. You have seen them in this thread: "Two wrongs don't make a right" or "Just because the CEO's lie don't mean you should" etc...

They have a hard time discussing any kind of wrong that a company does, but instead lashes out at the applicants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search