Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 07:05 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,456,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicbakergirl View Post
I know exactly who I am, thanks. I'm speaking of MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, that's all. My experience can only be confirmed or denied by ME. No problem here. Since you weren't a part of my experience, feel free not to take it personal.
You understand, though, how coy this sounds when you make an armchair analysis of Los Angeles natives. Working in nonprofits, I don't encounter a lot of these people you seem to have, who don't "know who they are." Having actually lived and worked for decades in both L.A. and SF (and in Silicon Valley), I'm well acquainted with people (careful not to say "the people") of both. I see little difference. I'd also not exchange all my personal, well won experience for the testimony of a recent transplant who works for NBC.

Of course everyone's entitled to a perspective. Generally people here tend to laugh it off, even agree to the extent that some people do see only what you've seen. Humans are tribal. We like to think we and ours are in basic ways better than (whoever) "they" are. I can't speak for everyone, but I am growing increasingly exhausted by your particular character indictment, though. I'll be blunt: It's terribly presumptuous, cliched, unimaginative, and really quite vain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 12:40 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,488,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
"the industry" does not represent LA or the level of "realness" in LA. if you think so, you are very wrong. basing your opinions on a small section of the city is equally ridiculous. there is more to LA than what pampered kids think they see...

live
from
FLORENCE
and
GRAHAM.

realllllnessssss!!!!!!
Live from South Central!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:46 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,488,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I've traveled to 30-33 states.

I think the antithesis of LA is in the east, Vermont and Maine.

-No big box stores, or very limited. You don't see best buy on every corner.

-Those states are very natural, vermont is famous for it's maple syrup, maine its coast line. A lot of natural beauty vs LA's "bling". Try to find shiny rims there. Or even the whole cell phone, blackberry culture.

There are a bunch of states with more authentic food....like new orleans. Or the south.

I bet if you had a map of percent of people with plastic surgery....lol, orange county, LA would be way up there. And some places it wouldn't even register. Similar thing with eating disorders. LA must be the capital.
What the he** is authentic food?

Old 07-08-2012, 01:22 PM

5 posts, read 6,025 times
L.A. is known as a city of contrasts: glamour and luxury in the hills, Bel Air or Beverly Hills, the American dream of the San Fernando Valley suburbs, and the gang ridden violence of South Los Angeles. Sunshine and Noir. Sparkling utopias and dark spots. Koreans, Mexicans, Salvadorians crowd into the crown that spreads around a downtown area that fails to become the city’center.

Moderator cut: this is not the place to promote your blog

Last edited by Count David; 07-08-2012 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: see note in post

Old 07-08-2012, 01:31 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,621,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegalopolisNow View Post
L.A. is known as a city of contrasts: glamour and luxury in the hills, Bel Air or Beverly Hills, the American dream of the San Fernando Valley suburbs, and the gang ridden violence of South Los Angeles. Sunshine and Noir. Sparkling utopias and dark spots. Koreans, Mexicans, Salvadorians crowd into the crown that spreads around a downtown area that fails to become the city’center.

los angeles blog
Los Angeles « megalopolisnow
"In the 1920’s Los Angeles became the first city in the country to pass restrictions in housing"

So the American South and Texas were not part of the US in the 1920s? The Confederacy still existed in the 1920s?

Los Angeles in the early 20th century was racist, xenophobic, and nativist, and ridden with nasty and highly corrupt politics but Jim Crow didn't begin in L.A.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:36 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,621,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organicbakergirl View Post
I've been to LA several times. Here's what I find "fake" about LA: The people. Animated, pretentious, everyone seemed to be talking in head voice, and everybody WANTS something. Authenticity and genuine character were hard to come by. The only people I found down to earth and honest were transplants. LA people are rarely what you see is what you get, but maybe I needed to stay longer.
You needed to get out of the westside and spend more time on the eastside (the REAL eastside not the "white people's eastside") where attitudes are more down to earth and there is more genuine roots and community (although with the influx of outsiders to NE LA I wonder if it will hold up...)

Old 07-08-2012, 02:13 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,870,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegalopolisNow View Post

los angeles blog
Los Angeles « megalopolisnow
LOL @ this blog. This is the first paragraph in an article about the Watts Towers:

Quote:
Watts is a poor black suburb just south of downtown Los Angeles and is notorious for the 1965 riots . It was the most severe riot in the city’s history until the Los Angeles Riots in 1992. That period was a very critical stage . In the late 1960s, Charles Manson founded a hippie cult group known as “the Family” whom he manipulated into killers. On August 9, 1969, four of Manson’s followers brutally murdered Sharon Tate (Polansky’s wife), her unborn baby and four others who were visiting her.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
"In the 1920’s Los Angeles became the first city in the country to pass restrictions in housing"

So the American South and Texas were not part of the US in the 1920s? The Confederacy still existed in the 1920s?

Los Angeles in the early 20th century was racist, xenophobic, and nativist, and ridden with nasty and highly corrupt politics but Jim Crow didn't begin in L.A.
thanks!Having more complete informations is really useful. Anyway I think it’s really difficult to know exactly which city first had discriminatory housing restrictions, because of hidden facts. Surely the Riots of LA were so serious because of the intensity of this phenomenon.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:35 PM

I just try to contribute to the debate, because of my love for architecture.That's all. Bye

Old 07-09-2012, 05:54 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,024,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Live from South Central!
More like, "Live, from Florence and Normandy!"

L.A. Riots Reginald Denny beating - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles