Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 04:57 PM

44 posts, read 192,503 times

Advertisements

If you don't like extreme cold or snow, MT is not for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 05:06 PM

Most of the people I know really *are* busy. Some have to work 2 jobs just to live here; that doesn't mean they're unfriendly. It's easier to 'hang out' with people if you're involved in some of the same interests. I don't know many people who have lots of folks over for pie and coffee, but they're still friendly.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:49 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan500 View Post
I don't know many people who have lots of folks over for pie and coffee, but they're still friendly.
When I was a kid, that was something everyone did, just being neighbourly, especially for new folks who'd just moved in (sometimes it was the new folks who came to your door bearing pies). I think a lot of this went away when most of the wives went to work to help support the family, and no one had time to bake a pie and spend part of the day sharing it anymore.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
When I was a kid, that was something everyone did, just being neighbourly, especially for new folks who'd just moved in (sometimes it was the new folks who came to your door bearing pies). I think a lot of this went away when most of the wives went to work to help support the family, and no one had time to bake a pie and spend part of the day sharing it anymore.
Which is truely a shame! That's what I miss around here, the social times. Walking around the block and runing into a neighbor sitting on his porch and ending up yakking and drinking sodas etc 'till midnight with more neighbors drifting in and out.
To be totally honest we did have way more social contact in the city we lived in but while I do miss that it's a price we must pay for room to stretch and breath and not speak spanish as a first language I guess. Also I notice that the social contacts we do have here are less, oh I don't know, superficial I guess then anywhere else. I know I'd drop anything if called and needed as I feel they would as well.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan500 View Post
If you don't like extreme cold or snow, MT is not for you.
Didn't you write the following recently? I'm perplexed....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan500
Good grief! Some posters make MT sound like the Arctic Circle. Winter is cold, summer is hot. Coat, hat, gloves will be fine. Long underwear? I've lived here 30 yrs w/o it. I don't know anyone who lets the fridge get completely empty b4 heading into town for groceries...just come, enjoy Montana and plan on living like a normal person.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:11 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
The only time I ever wore long johns is when I had to be outside in the winter for long periods, heck I don't think I even own any anymore ! Chopped wood in a tee-shirt except during a cold snap.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:27 AM

12 posts, read 37,165 times
How bad does it suck for people that scrimped and saved to be able to move and then come to face a grossly inflated housing market that they can't afford??..
Especially on Montana salaries? We are in the running for the LOWEST pay and LONGEST HOURS WORKED in the NATION.

i didn't read all your post this just caught my eye but i'm pretty sure that south texas corpus/brownsville/laredo are the lowest paid in the entire nation.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 6,321 times
You dont have to say your from somewhere else. Montanans are going to know when you ask where to get a conservation license, where to hunt and then when your residency hasnt been past yet because it takes 6 mos to become a resident here. So my advice is that you stay out. Montana is only nice because you arent here.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:22 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,401 times
Oh my gosh, these threads get so old. And they aren't just in the Montana section, they are everywhere. They are a bit entertaining though so it's hard to resist opening and reading them.

I think some of you just have to much time on your hands. Instead of worrying about other people why not just be concerned with yourself and live the best life you can live, and take care of your family the best way you can. What does it matter what outsiders do? Your going to have to get used to it because people move from all over to other places in this country, this is nothing new and it's not going to stop. So my best advice is to get used to it and just take care of yourself, and stop trying to change every outsider to think and live their life just like you.

Nobody is going to check in with the OP first before they make decisions to move somewhere, or on how they decide to act and live. Nor should they.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:04 PM

Yes, jimj, I *did* post both. MT has some darned cold winter days. But unless you're going to be out in it for extended periods of time, crazy amounts of clothing aren't necessary. For shopping, restaurants, movies, going out to fetch the mail, coat is necessary. Gloves are handy...a hat, if you're going to walk the dog very far. But bundling up for an Arctic expedition? Nah. I would throw extra stuff in the rig if I were driving far, in case of emergencies, but that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana