Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 02:05 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,175,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNWILSON View Post
I would love to see a law go into action that says montana in its whole would be turned into a indian reservation. At that it would give us the right to refuse service and property sales to outsiders let alone non-natives. So much easier. You couldnt do anything to stop us from being us and we could stop you from destroying our way of life and land!!
If ALL the states had such laws, where you had to petition for state citizenship rather than just moving in and taking over, methinks there'd be a lot more concern for preservation of local culture, both by residents and newcomers. Should the States be treated as separate countries for all but certain Federal purposes? Some argue that the Constitution does so intend. Not practical with our mobile American society, but it makes for an interesting discussion.

A lot of the real estate spike could have been prevented, I think, if sale of land intended for residential use was in some way restricted, to prevent out-of-staters from flipping it for profit rather than using it to live in. Even ruinous capital gains taxes (which are partly intended to prevent this) aren't sufficient to discourage it when profits from flipping run as high as 300%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 02:15 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,171,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Oh my gosh, these threads get so old. And they aren't just in the Montana section, they are everywhere. They are a bit entertaining though so it's hard to resist opening and reading them.

I think some of you just have to much time on your hands. Instead of worrying about other people why not just be concerned with yourself and live the best life you can live, and take care of your family the best way you can. What does it matter what outsiders do? Your going to have to get used to it because people move from all over to other places in this country, this is nothing new and it's not going to stop. So my best advice is to get used to it and just take care of yourself, and stop trying to change every outsider to think and live their life just like you.

Nobody is going to check in with the OP first before they make decisions to move somewhere, or on how they decide to act and live. Nor should they.
Spoken like a true Californian. *ducks*

How would you like it if we came in and ripped down all your mini-malls and put in stockyards and feed lots? The point of the thread is just about respecting someone else's stomping grounds when you decide to move their. I wouldn't move to CA and demand that everyone should life life out there the way we do here, so why do they do it when they come out this way?

The problem goes back to the $$. People here work just as hard or harder then people from CA, but yet the Californians get paid more for the same jobs and have the financial leverage to buy up all the land. It shouldn't work like that. (They come from other areas as well... I really am not a hater, it just gets on my nerves when people try to change a lifestyle that lots of us love, out of the name of convenience and greed, or try to buy their way into seclusion and gate off areas of a state where people have hunted, camped etc... all of their lives.)

Old 08-03-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
If ALL the states had such laws, where you had to petition for state citizenship rather than just moving in and taking over, methinks there'd be a lot more concern for preservation of local culture, both by residents and newcomers. Should the States be treated as separate countries for all but certain Federal purposes? Some argue that the Constitution does so intend. Not practical with our mobile American society, but it makes for an interesting discussion.

A lot of the real estate spike could have been prevented, I think, if sale of land intended for residential use was in some way restricted, to prevent out-of-staters from flipping it for profit rather than using it to live in. Even ruinous capital gains taxes (which are partly intended to prevent this) aren't sufficient to discourage it when profits from flipping run as high as 300%.
Amen Brother.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,033,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNWILSON View Post
I would love to see a law go into action that says montana in its whole would be turned into a indean reservation. At that it would give us the right to refuse service and property sales to out siders let alone non-natives. So much easier. You couldnt do anything to stop us from being us and we could stop you from destroying our way of life and land!!
So I'm guessing you're not happy? That's really a pity, such a nice day outside too.
Do remember there's no need to be rude or hateful, the more people that come here the more visit the bead shops and such and buy trinkets and food right?

Old 08-03-2008, 02:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,033,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan500 View Post
Yes, jimj, I *did* post both. MT has some darned cold winter days. But unless you're going to be out in it for extended periods of time, crazy amounts of clothing aren't necessary. For shopping, restaurants, movies, going out to fetch the mail, coat is necessary. Gloves are handy...a hat, if you're going to walk the dog very far. But bundling up for an Arctic expedition? Nah. I would throw extra stuff in the rig if I were driving far, in case of emergencies, but that's all.
I'd agree with ya... thanks for the clarification.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan500 View Post
Yes, jimj, I *did* post both. MT has some darned cold winter days. But unless you're going to be out in it for extended periods of time, crazy amounts of clothing aren't necessary. For shopping, restaurants, movies, going out to fetch the mail, coat is necessary. Gloves are handy...a hat, if you're going to walk the dog very far. But bundling up for an Arctic expedition? Nah. I would throw extra stuff in the rig if I were driving far, in case of emergencies, but that's all.
Fact is, you get used to it and adapted to temperature extremes, and don't think anything of a quick trip out to the woodpile in your bare feet, even if it's below zero. (Or to the outhouse, one place I lived.) Not worth getting all geared up, unless you're going to be outside for a while.

But newbies see old hands doing that, and fail to differentiate "quick trip to the woodpile" or "keeping warm by chopping wood" from "long walk after you slid your car into the ditch somewhere that cell phones don't reach". When the weather can KILL you, it's always better to be over-prepared than under-prepared.

Unfortunately, it usually takes noobs a near-miss with the grim reaper to figure this out.

Same goes for deserts, BTW. Here you ALWAYS carry water, sunscreen, water, a hat sufficient to shade your head, water, did I mention water?? and I don't care if you're just going the ten miles into town, you still do it if you have any sense (which admittedly a lot of people don't). My tenant is from Seattle, and just didn't get it til one day her car broke down, and she had to walk 4 miles home in 115 degree heat, with no water, no shade for her head, and a near thing to being dead in the ditch from sunstroke.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
How would you like it if we came in and ripped down all your mini-malls and put in stockyards and feed lots?
Sounds like an excellent idea to me

Quote:
The point of the thread is just about respecting someone else's stomping grounds when you decide to move their. I wouldn't move to CA and demand that everyone should life life out there the way we do here, so why do they do it when they come out this way?
Exactly. I don't know what's so hard to understand about this concept. Maybe the newcomer thinks they're "improving" things for the local-yokels, but the yokels may vehemently disagree as to what constitutes "improvement", especially when it takes away vital aspects of their existing lifestyle.

Didn't we learn anything from the Indian debacles?? Whites came in, imposed their "improved" lifestyles on the savage yokels, who even if they wished to change their historical ways, lacked the resources (read: money) to do so, and the whole sad process created a new class of poverty. How is this fundamentally different from what's happening to homegrown Montanans today??

A change of lifestyle imposed from without is tyranny.**

Quote:
The problem goes back to the $$.
It's the Golden Rule: Them that has the gold makes the rules.

** "Democracy imposed from without is the severest form of tyranny." -- Lloyd Biggle Jr.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Sounds like an excellent idea to me
I'll get the wrecking ball and dynamite, you get the loaders and dump trucks!!

Quote:
Exactly. I don't know what's so hard to understand about this concept. Maybe the newcomer thinks they're "improving" things for the local-yokels, but the yokels may vehemently disagree as to what constitutes "improvement", especially when it takes away vital aspects of their existing lifestyle.
It's not hard to understand, some people just ignore the concept out of their own wants.

Quote:
Didn't we learn anything from the Indian debacles?? Whites came in, imposed their "improved" lifestyles on the savage yokels, who even if they wished to change their historical ways, lacked the resources (read: money) to do so, and the whole sad process created a new class of poverty. How is this fundamentally different from what's happening to homegrown Montanans today??
Yup, leave it to the white man to try to improve a system where you could hunt, fish and camp all year long to make it "civilized". Then set up a system so you can work your butt off all year long and hope to take a couple weeks off to hunt and fish.

Quote:
A change of lifestyle imposed from without is tyranny.**
There are ways to deal with tyranny.. Just takes some organized people with some brains and the balls to follow through.

Quote:
It's the Golden Rule: Them that has the gold makes the rules.
Sad but true.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:33 PM

3 posts, read 7,218 times
Moderator cut: Insulting other members is against the Terms of Service here, stay on topic with out insulting others!

Last edited by Kristynwy; 08-05-2008 at 02:04 PM..

Old 08-05-2008, 12:31 AM

77 posts, read 238,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf13 View Post
Moderator cut: Insulting other members is against the Terms of Service here, stay on topic with out insulting others!

Hey ya know what??????
If God had Intended for Texans to Ski, He'd have made bull hockey white sorry some times i just cant help my self

Last edited by Kristynwy; 08-05-2008 at 02:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana