Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2007, 11:10 AM

7 posts, read 25,049 times

Advertisements

A fellow American was strolling in the park, chatting on his cell phone and snacking on sunflower seeds. He obviously wasnt paying too much attention, ejecting empty shells as he walked and talked.

I don't care where you're from, spitting sunseeds in just bad manners. It doesn't matter if you're rich enough to be travelling in the Czech Republic or if you're a so-called Montana hayseed. That was simply an unnecessary analogy of native Montanans to offer to an outsider.

Sure there are unsophisticated Montanans but I can guarantee you that unsophisticated people exist the world over. And many of them in this new generation have education and money and still don't have good manners. In some ways, it's easier to excuse someone when they don't know any better but when someone has a college education to the tune of nearly $100,000 for four years and are probably backpacking through Europe on Mommy and Daddy's money and getting college credit for it, then c'mon. Don be a prig and offer gratuitous, mean spirited comments. The story you quoted was meant to depict the slothful, piggish nature of travelling Americans who somehow think they can be slothful pigs no matter in what country they are living/travelling. It wasn't meant to be some cute characterization of regular rednecks who are simply living where they were raised and where they're probably gonna die if the outsiders don't squeeze them out of existence first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 01:11 PM

495 posts, read 493,027 times
OK OK, I'm really happy that out-a-staters move in and drive up realestate prices enough that the native born montanas can't afford them - it makes me so happy to see that. There is that what you all want to hear us Montanians say ?
So STOP wondering why were are a little less than happy - I don't think you need a Phd to understand that.

And you all got the right as Americans to move any where you want, NEVER said you didn't. And we got the RIGHT to be P'd off. Now everyone go home and enjoy your dinner.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
I've got a question, at whom should I be mad that I was priced out of my home in CA? I would love to go back, or to have stayed for that matter but alas, I can't afford it either..

Old 09-11-2007, 03:07 PM

75 posts, read 521,747 times
Certainly JoeJoe, you are entitled to your opinion.

I just find it a little ironic that you made your statement right below:

"Montana Relocation"
"Live The Montana Dream"
And "Montana Acreage For Sale"

Old 09-11-2007, 04:18 PM

38 posts, read 178,688 times
I was reading comments making the analagy of immigrants coming into the US and people moving to MT. And all it made me think was: mmmm. I think I'll have Mexican for dinner, or maybe Cuban. I love all kinds of food, but Mexican/cuban/puerto Rican is my fave. I am very fortunate that I live very close to authentic Mexican and Cuban restaraunts. I wont even consider eating at one where they speak English really well. I mean how authentic could the food be? lol

I know many of you are concerned about us "city" ppl moving in.....well, you dont have to worry about me. I have no desire. I hope you dont mind tho' I do want to come and see God's creations in that area. But I wont be stayin' long. Ill come, see, and get out. lol

Montana obviously has alot to offer....but I think many of you dont know what you're missing.

eeyore

Old 09-11-2007, 04:36 PM

47 posts, read 202,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
I was reading comments making the analagy of immigrants coming into the US and people moving to MT. And all it made me think was: mmmm. I think I'll have Mexican for dinner, or maybe Cuban. I love all kinds of food, but Mexican/cuban/puerto Rican is my fave. I am very fortunate that I live very close to authentic Mexican and Cuban restaraunts. I wont even consider eating at one where they speak English really well. I mean how authentic could the food be? lol

I know many of you are concerned about us "city" ppl moving in.....well, you dont have to worry about me. I have no desire. I hope you dont mind tho' I do want to come and see God's creations in that area. But I wont be stayin' long. Ill come, see, and get out. lol

Montana obviously has alot to offer....but I think many of you dont know what you're missing.

eeyore

Old 09-11-2007, 11:25 PM

38 posts, read 178,688 times
OMG, lemme spell it out.

Wthout immigrants we wouldn't have the benefits of all the great things other cultures have to offer us (like authentic Mexican food). Im not political...Im not commenting on what I think US immigration policies should be. Im just saying that a disdain for "outsiders" actually limits you. I believe this applies to how many here dont want outsiders moving in to their state. There are alot of wonderful things in this world that you may not even know about.

So now, I repeat and hope you can better understand:

eeyore

Old 09-13-2007, 08:41 AM

285 posts, read 1,040,013 times
I really think that so much of the resentment towards newcomers can be attributed to class envy. Most of the CA newcomers were highly successful in their home states, built up a reasonable estate, and are ready to live the good life now. Some of them have cashed out to the extent that they no longer have to work for a living any more.

I recall working the grave shift in Missoula at a Mini Mart, cleaning hotel rooms, and working at a dry cleaner outfit while I lived there. In Bozeman, I worked in food service. I had a college degree I was still paying for and was making minimum wage with no benefits. Though I wasn't a native, it still ticked me off to see these fabulously wealthy Californians plow into town, buy expensive mini-ranches, and appear to want to run the town themselves, while I was barely able to put food on the table. So yes, I do understand the sentiment. My solution was to leave Montana and go to grad school out of state. I've settled in the Triangle area of North Carolina and hubby and I are actually doing well, financially, but the other option might have been to stick it out and struggle, I suppose. I can't say what might have happened if we decided to stay, but I appreciate living closer to my aging parents and can't imagine moving further away from them at this point.

I have met native Montanans who leave the state to make an actual living and then come back with the money they need to settle down in their home state later. It's a shame that this is often the only solution, but it's just the way things are. I prefer to deal with what IS rather than to complain about what ISN'T. It's just not a happy way to go through life...

Old 09-13-2007, 11:08 AM

66 posts, read 409,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyblue View Post
This is interesting...! You know, I used to feel threatened by out-of-staters coming to Montana in droves. I guess I sort of accept it now, or at least take people on a case-by-case basis.

I do get upset when a newcomer starts complaining about the way things are, like "why don't they plow the roads" and such, but they usually learn fast enough to deal with it.

In many places around here, there is a publication that we recommend to newcomers called The Code of the West. It is available in many public offices and it sort of explains the way we do business out here. I have found that many newcomers simply don't KNOW that we are "different" here in Montana, and we are perfectly happy that way!

And, to be clear.... I didn't know I was "different" until a newcomer told me so!

I found Code Of The West! here is the link where people can read it online

Larimer County - Code of the West

Old 09-15-2007, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulskjegg View Post
The housing bubble has officially "popped", so be prepared for a major correction in prices within the next year or two.

As far as hostility to outsiders, that is a major factor. My wife and I came here to Cut Bank MT to start a small business and after a year we are pulling up stakes and setting up shop in elsewhere.

The people here are Moderator cut: insults I have ever met. And Ive travelled a fair portion of the world.

Avoid small towns at all costs, pick areas that arealdy enjoy an influx of outsiders. Areas without net migration into the area will be controlled by drug dealing police and/or buck toothed, cross eyed freemason r-tards. Just like Cut Bank is.

The flight of the few remaining middle-class folks out of urban areas stands to upset the petty little fiefedoms of a hundred Boss Hogg types that have "good ole' boy" networks spanning 3 generations. They wont give up without a fight.

Moderator cut: more insults

Hahahaha!

I love it, love it, love it! I'm moving to Cut Bank as soon as possible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana