Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 AM

665 posts, read 1,926,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I see the same type of bumper stickers around here. " Bennies go home", "I'm a local don't blame me". After speaking to many people in this area and meeting many "LOCAL" people they do dislike people from north Jersey. And I'm within walking distance to the beach not in the middle of the pinelands. So you can only imagine moving into the boonies of SC or NC or Tenn. Well since the NORTHERNERS went back to north Jersey, it's time to go to the beach.
AHHH, I came from Ocean county, not far from where you are!I do remeber hearing"Bennies go home".I am jealous you are within waliking distance to the beach. I miss it.And I DO now live in the boonies somewhat of TN enjoy your quiet beach time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I've lived in 4 different state, NJ, SC, VT, and WV. By a looooooong shot, NJ is the BEST. Yes, the people here are real and take it at face value. When you go into a business, you will get what you went in for or they will tell you where you can.
It seemed to me, in the South, people just don't want to work. There are entire towns that shut down from 12-1 for lunch and there were many places that gave you 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours for lunch as there was no way you could get it and have time to eat it in an hour. Made me crack up. Service can't be beat in NJ.

Kimberland - a word of advice - get over yourself and don't hate. Hate is ugly.

WV was about the most messed up of all - I can go on for hours about that place. VT was nice, but it is a different attitude. SC is just all messed up as well. Yes, they will be syrupy sweet - but only to your face. Don't turn your back.
NJ is the best - no question.
I couldnt help but notice this thread, so allow me to respond...then Im going to disappear and try to pretend I didnt see it.

1. Florida ( by most Southerner's standards) IS NOT part of the South, except by geographical location. Florida is often considered what I call " the other black sheep of the Southern State Family ( the 1st one is Lousiana)

2. I take exception to your characterization that "in the South, people just don't want to work". Some of the most hard-working people Ive ever met live here. Dont make us sound like we're lazy simply because we don't adhere to a fast-paced timeline. The phrase "Im on Southern time" holds truth.We tend to like to linger over our food, not scarf it down as if we're in a pie-eating contest.
We have our share of lazy people, but, so does the North.

3. "SC is just all messed up as well."
SC is NOT all messed up. It just refuses to go along with many in the mainstream, and delights in being a pain in the behind when it comes to politics.

4.Yes, they will be syrupy sweet - but only to your face. Don't turn your back."
We are sweet to your face because mothers down here tend to teach us to be polite at all costs. Even if you dont like the person you're talking to. My own mother once told me "You're going to mind your manners. I dont care if you don't like them, you smile and be nice."

Old 09-05-2008, 01:01 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
I have never known southerners to be particularly lazy. The polite at all costs policy is great only to a point. When you become an adult that is not always the best policy. You have to know how and when to drop the act in certain situations especially with non-strangers.
I would not equate a slower way of life with laziness.

Politically there may be less civil liberties in the south but there is also less regulation and less taxation which will appeal to many. It's a trade off and there was a time in my life when I was forced to contemplate those kinds of things. That time has long since passed. One of the interesting things about growing up in NJ was that you kind of had to consider different options unless you had family helping support you or lots of $$. My friends from the "new south" grew up in a world that they were never forced to consider leaving and I really believe that is the biggest reason for the huge difference in world perspective between us.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:07 AM

464 posts, read 1,360,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
NJ people are REAL.
I met some cool people from NJ; and even an X but seems like once they get to Florida they turn out to be flakes, fakes, and trifling (my x)

So, either NJ people are Trife; or Florida just ****s them up...I'm convinced the latter

Old 09-05-2008, 05:51 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
What I meant by people just not wanting to work is you can't walk into a business and get service without coaxing them. Take your kids to a shoe store and see what I mean. They act like you're bothering them to get something for you that you can't get yourself (like a size).
My advice, if you want service in the south, don't hold your breath.
Florida isn't the south. With that comment, I completely agree. It's a lot of transplants.
That polite thing. Well, the polite thing is to say what you mean, not smile in my face then stab me in the back. That's just rude and I'm sure that's not what parents meant when they taught their kids manners. You can have manners and keep it real. You can tell someone to go to he&@ and have them look forward to the trip. It's all in how you say it. If that is what parents meant when they taught their kids (be syrupy sweet and then when the people are not around, you can say what you want) then the south truly is all messed up.
So now, that being said, go ahead, take your shots at me if that's what you choose to do, I'm Jersey through and through and I can take it.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:26 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
I lived in NJ for a year (NYC now), work in Hoboken, and had NJ rommates all 4 years in college. From my experience, most NJ folks are dependable, fast pace (cant knock the hustle). Especially, with service, I go to these sandwich shops that are run by 2-3 folks, and they are churning orders like there is no tomorrow. Yet I get a sandwich in Atlanta and it seems like they can't multitask worth sh*&.

I also like the cynicism and sarcasm in the humor, which is lost in other parts of the US.

What I dont like is that being "real" also means being unpleasant to some folks. I think people have more issues not with the truth itself, but the execution, which is rough around the edges.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:41 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
I moved from northern NJ to Adelaide, South Australia. Adelaide is a beautiful, gracious city with historic architecture and is surrounded by beautiful beaches next to a turqoise seas and rolling hills full of vineyards, kangaroos and koalas living on gum trees.

I missed Jersey.

I missed the accent. The pace. I missed people who told you what they thought of you. I miss that you learned to have a thicker skin. I missed Jersey drivers who may be fast, but knew where they were going and what they were doing. The sarcasm. The waitress at the diner who chewed gum, called you hun who had makeup the envy of a drag queen and hair that reached up to the stars. I missed bagels. I missed Taylor ham. I missed Jersey diners. I missed the hidden beauty away from the turnpike and the strange beauty of industrial structures.

Yup it was in Australia that I realized that I was Jersey and I started liking Bon Jovi and Bruce!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:11 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I moved from northern NJ to Adelaide, South Australia. Adelaide is a beautiful, gracious city with historic architecture and is surrounded by beautiful beaches next to a turqoise seas and rolling hills full of vineyards, kangaroos and koalas living on gum trees.

I missed Jersey.

I missed the accent. The pace. I missed people who told you what they thought of you. I miss that you learned to have a thicker skin. I missed Jersey drivers who may be fast, but knew where they were going and what they were doing. The sarcasm. The waitress at the diner who chewed gum, called you hun who had makeup the envy of a drag queen and hair that reached up to the stars. I missed bagels. I missed Taylor ham. I missed Jersey diners. I missed the hidden beauty away from the turnpike and the strange beauty of industrial structures.

Yup it was in Australia that I realized that I was Jersey and I started liking Bon Jovi and Bruce!
Wow! Kewl! I haven't been to Adelaide but I have been to Sydney and Bondi Beach. They need a little Bruce and Bon Jovi, IMHO. All anyone wanted to talk about and hear whilst I was there was Elvis.

Shanny

Old 09-07-2008, 06:58 AM

468 posts, read 580,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
What I meant by people just not wanting to work is you can't walk into a business and get service without coaxing them. Take your kids to a shoe store and see what I mean. They act like you're bothering them to get something for you that you can't get yourself (like a size).
My advice, if you want service in the south, don't hold your breath.
That's what I've even witnessed over here in PA... I think probably what it is is that these places are just not as money motivated as other places, therefore their business ethics suck because of it

Old 09-07-2008, 01:50 PM

741 posts, read 3,510,873 times
I can't wait to come back to NJ. Believe me I'm counting the day's until I can come home and be with you all again.

You can take the girl out of Jersey but you can't take Jersey out of the girl....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey