Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 07:24 AM

712 posts, read 771,101 times

Advertisements

Have you look at the blog for 21 West End Ave? There are a couple,of videos posted,of the apts and some of the amenities _Most of the apts are occupied and their wait was nowhere as long as ours. Go to the last page and work backwards. I am so envious of them. But on the other hand their apts are smaller them ours. This will be the summer I never forget!!

Old 06-19-2017, 07:27 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New light baptist View Post
Have you look at the blog for 21 West End Ave? There are a couple,of videos posted,of the apts and some of the amenities _Most of the apts are occupied and their wait was nowhere as long as ours. Go to the last page and work backwards. I am so envious of them. But on the other hand their apts are smaller them ours. This will be the summer I never forget!!
Yes, 21 West End Avenue has better amenities (they are shared with the market rate), but the apartments are much smaller. The trade-off of having the "poor door" in 10 Freedom Place (with no luxury amenities) is that the developer agreed to make the apartments much larger than normal (900 sq ft one-bedrooms, for example, which is huge for NYC).

Old 06-19-2017, 07:32 AM

I was hoping for the end of June, moving by August the latest, trying to stay optimistic. Oh well, let me enjoy this week and TRY not to focus on this. A new apartment is nice, but I am grateful for waking up to this beautiful day. It reminds me to live in the NOW and be grateful for the things that I have.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:38 PM

275 posts, read 256,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New light baptist View Post
Yes, I watched the videos. The places look great to me! I'm so jealous they're all moved in. I loved the floor to ceiling windows they have, but hope 10FP has hardwood floors instead of carpeting. It seems like from the pictures 10FP will have have stainless steel appliances, too, but that's not for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
Yes, 21 West End Avenue has better amenities (they are shared with the market rate), but the apartments are much smaller. The trade-off of having the "poor door" in 10 Freedom Place (with no luxury amenities) is that the developer agreed to make the apartments much larger than normal (900 sq ft one-bedrooms, for example, which is huge for NYC).
I think the only amenities that I would regularly use are a gym and roof deck, which I believe 10 Freedom place will have access to, no? The party rooms might be nice too, but if the apartments really are big, maybe it won't matter, especially if I get a 1-bedroom. I really never entertain, but if I had my own place, I might do it a little. I wish I were better at visualizing how big 900 square feet is, haha.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesnyc View Post
Yes, I watched the videos. The places look great to me! I'm so jealous they're all moved in. I loved the floor to ceiling windows they have, but hope 10FP has hardwood floors instead of carpeting. It seems like from the pictures 10FP will have have stainless steel appliances, too, but that's not for sure.

I think the only amenities that I would regularly use are a gym and roof deck, which I believe 10 Freedom place will have access to, no? The party rooms might be nice too, but if the apartments really are big, maybe it won't matter, especially if I get a 1-bedroom. I really never entertain, but if I had my own place, I might do it a little. I wish I were better at visualizing how big 900 square feet is, haha.
Yeah, there's a fitness center, but it's separate from the market rate building so it will probably be bare-bones. The only shared amenity is the roof terrace. I'm with you on the hardwood floors. I don't like carpeting throughout the apartment.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:28 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't want carpeting either. As for the amenities the roof top, gym, laundry room and maybe the courtyard, other than that it's not for me. I thought about a washer/dryer would be nice than I re-thunk it. You will have a electric bill so I would rather just pay as I use a washer/dryer and can wash several loads at one time which you cannot do in your apartment, and you loose a closet. So I gave in and emailed the asst leasing director and there is no change. I was told that the building had not given them any info.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:46 PM

It's common to see carpeting in these affordable units. I wouldn't be surprised if there was carpeting because:

1) it's cheaper; and
2) it reduces noise.

Both of these things are issues of concern when building low income housing. The developers think poor people are loud and don't want to spend a lot of money on them.

However, I have read that in order to placate the city for the outrage of making these "poor door" apartments, the developers said that they would not "cheap out" on materials. I wonder if that means hardwood floors. https://ny.curbed.com/2014/10/17/100...nce-experience

Old 06-19-2017, 04:18 PM

In the videos I wonder if the two apts were affordable? I think one had carpeting with white appliances and the other had wood like floors an stainless steel appliances. Hummmmm!

Old 06-19-2017, 04:21 PM

275 posts, read 256,792 times
Oh I forgot about the laundry in-unit, that would be nice, too!

My friend who lives in a lottery apartment in Queens has wood flooring, so I'm hoping they spring for it here, too. That article mentions that more people from Silverstein were at the meeting to discuss the poor door stuff....hmmm.

Beggars can' t be choosers, though! I just wish they would hurry up!!

Old 06-19-2017, 04:54 PM

Amen!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery