Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2014, 06:34 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

Many co-ops and rentals say NO DOGS.

What that really means is that DOGS ARE VERY WELCOME.

Unfortunate because I have such a clause in my bylaws but have to listen to one yapping endlessly upstairs. Perhaps 100 dogs in my co-op. It was the same with the last rental I was in: lease said NO PETS...and everyone had one or more.
There was an exceptionally talented Chow who specialized in tearing the heads off smaller dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 12:05 PM

10 posts, read 17,664 times
Anyone going for 3BRs? I am at #600-ish, does anyone know if they will strictly enforce their income rules and their number of persons rules?

Old 05-09-2014, 05:19 PM

483 posts, read 691,400 times
I'd call them and ask if the application doesn't specify (no, I don't appear to have gotten one... grrrrr ), they probably will "strictly enforce" but how strictly, depends upon what rules they follow. Some developments allow you to have up to 125% of the maximum income range and may not specify on the application as such, but will assess a surcharge. But some developments I've seen people saying that when the advertisement gave a range for occupants' income, they discovered they really meant that the smaller half of the range would apply to a smaller household size, and vice versa. So households with a smaller composition who hovered at the top of the income range were rejected, even though it looked on paper like they qualified.

Basically I'm sure if you're out of the appropriate range they'll just turn around and hand you back your money, but it's probably a pain for you if they're asking for a money order made out to them. If you are 5K over the maximum it's probably worth taking your chances; if I were 25K over the maximum I'd probably expect to be rejected.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:02 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,031,473 times
I went by there yesterday and spent some time walking around in the development and the neighborhood around it and I feel much better about the possibility of moving there. The grounds are still a bit of a mess but landscaping improvements are supposed to be a part of the renovation project so I imagine once all the scaffolding is removed, that will be addressed. Also that ad hoc flea market at the Pitt and Rivington entrance is a bit ghetto but harmless and avoidable. But otherwise nothing menacing at all, children playing under the parent's eyes, people going about their Saturday, and a diverse mix of people. There is a lot of security roaming the grounds, whether there is a real need for that much or not, better a lot of security than none at all. I will be submitting my application this week.

I don't know the actual dog rules (and I am not a pet person anyway) but I saw a couple of tenants with dogs around.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:55 PM

109 posts, read 195,777 times
I've been reading other threads about affordable housing and see 2 potential problems. 1. Do they add your savings into your income for qualification purposes? 2. Do they look at spouse's credit too? If so, I might not propose yet lol. I walked over there Thursday and it seems pretty safe to me too. There's a staffed security booth right on the Rivington St walkway! I don't know how the people from the projects are messing it up. I feel that once you get to Delancey (if you're going to the subway), you should be fine. Maybe night time is different?

Old 05-11-2014, 03:12 PM

Would the fact that I already own a co-op automatically disqualify me?

Old 05-11-2014, 09:44 PM

329 posts, read 682,107 times
@lexave
Why would you want another coop? Is it a M L ?

Old 05-11-2014, 10:22 PM

I don't want another co-op. I live in one now. When I move to M-L I'm gonna sell it

Old 05-12-2014, 11:25 AM

Does anyone know if Masaryk Towers is federally funded? I've been reading up on Mitchell Lama and there are different rules for federally funded and non-federally funded buildings.

Also, just wondering if Masaryk has a bulk cable deal with Time Warner. My building does and I only pay $75 a month for cable and internet

Old 05-12-2014, 11:39 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,666,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
I went by there yesterday and spent some time walking around in the development and the neighborhood around it and I feel much better about the possibility of moving there. The grounds are still a bit of a mess but landscaping improvements are supposed to be a part of the renovation project so I imagine once all the scaffolding is removed, that will be addressed. Also that ad hoc flea market at the Pitt and Rivington entrance is a bit ghetto but harmless and avoidable. But otherwise nothing menacing at all, children playing under the parent's eyes, people going about their Saturday, and a diverse mix of people. There is a lot of security roaming the grounds, whether there is a real need for that much or not, better a lot of security than none at all. I will be submitting my application this week.

I don't know the actual dog rules (and I am not a pet person anyway) but I saw a couple of tenants with dogs around.
Have you been there at night? I was walking around the area around midnight. As a man, I didn't feel unsafe but I wouldn't be entirely comfortable if I were a young woman. Honestly, it may be just a perception issue since I'm used to how my neighborhood of Forest Hills feels at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery