Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 11:52 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,036,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Have you been there at night? I was walking around the area around midnight. As a man, I didn't feel unsafe but I wouldn't be entirely comfortable if I were a young woman. Honestly, it may be just a perception issue since I'm used to how my neighborhood of Forest Hills feels at night.
I'm a woman but not a young one. No I haven't yet - def. will should/when they offer an apartment. I did think about this though, if it's that late I'd probably take a cab anyway. Also, the approach from Delancey seems better than Rivington. I am currently living in Bay Ridge, right by the bay actually, which is ultra quiet and safe, so I know what you mean about perceptions and have been checking myself with regard to that, time in that environment will do that to you - even though I work in East Harlem and have no problems walking up here, and had no problems walking through adjacent Baruch Houses when I was 18 back around 1979-80 to see my boyfriend who lived there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 05:07 PM

252 posts, read 608,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanting_to_move View Post
Thanks Meli,
I'm waiting for a two bedroom and I'm 1100 or so on the list. The 2 bedroom waiting list is at 683 the last time I called.

What about you? Neighbors Maybe? :-)

@Adhom - Do you know if they let owners renovate?

By the way it looks like my thread was deleted, It was a was the thread where I wanted everyone to share. Any one know how I get a thread back?

wanting to move: I am in the 40's for a one bedroom apartment. I already got a letter back that they have received my money order and application back.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackbox View Post
Anyone going for 3BRs? I am at #600-ish, does anyone know if they will strictly enforce their income rules and their number of persons rules?
They definitely enforce the number of people in the apartment size rule. They wont put 2 people in a three bedroom for example. As for income there is a bracket you have to be in. I believe if you go over you have a surcharge on your monthly maintenance.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexAveExp5 View Post
I've been reading other threads about affordable housing and see 2 potential problems. 1. Do they add your savings into your income for qualification purposes? 2. Do they look at spouse's credit too? If so, I might not propose yet lol. I walked over there Thursday and it seems pretty safe to me too. There's a staffed security booth right on the Rivington St walkway! I don't know how the people from the projects are messing it up. I feel that once you get to Delancey (if you're going to the subway), you should be fine. Maybe night time is different?

they do add your spouses income and credit. I wouldnt add your spouse if that is the case for you. Why dont you just put yourself on the application?

Old 05-12-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Have you been there at night? I was walking around the area around midnight. As a man, I didn't feel unsafe but I wouldn't be entirely comfortable if I were a young woman. Honestly, it may be just a perception issue since I'm used to how my neighborhood of Forest Hills feels at night.

All of LES is a huge difference from forest hills at night.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:16 PM

329 posts, read 682,727 times
@Lex

Perhaps I'm wrong about what I'm going to say. Seems wrong that you already have a coop and want another one. The purpose of these are to give middle income families a chance to own something. If I could afford something I won't be on the waiting list. I wish I could afford something in Hilman it's on the other side of the bridge across form Masaryk Towers. But those apartment at an average of $500,000 and they want 20 % which is $ 100,000. I don't have the parents to give me a down payment, or nor can I save up 20%. Since I have to pay from medical, child care, Student loans ($80,000) etc.

You don't have to agree with me but it's my opinion.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:50 PM

109 posts, read 196,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli722 View Post
they do add your spouses income and credit. I wouldnt add your spouse if that is the case for you. Why dont you just put yourself on the application?
She's my girlfriend and I already put her on the application. I am the head of household so they shouldn't check her credit unless I marry her, right? It's not that she has bad credit, she just has no credit

Old 05-12-2014, 07:51 PM

109 posts, read 196,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanting_to_move View Post
@Lex

Perhaps I'm wrong about what I'm going to say. Seems wrong that you already have a coop and want another one. The purpose of these are to give middle income families a chance to own something. If I could afford something I won't be on the waiting list. I wish I could afford something in Hilman it's on the other side of the bridge across form Masaryk Towers. But those apartment at an average of $500,000 and they want 20 % which is $ 100,000. I don't have the parents to give me a down payment, or nor can I save up 20%. Since I have to pay from medical, child care, Student loans ($80,000) etc.

You don't have to agree with me but it's my opinion.
I'm in the tiniest studio in the building, sharing it with my girlfriend. If I bought a 1BR in this building not only would the mortgage go up like $400/mo. but the maintenance would go up another $400/mo.! I can't afford that!

My apartment building is NOTHING like Hilman. My studio cost $82,500 and I only pay $470/mo for maintenance. It took 8 years just to save up for a down payment! I'm in Queens, nowhere near Manhattan. I can't afford, nor am I planning to keep this apartment when I move into Masaryk

Old 05-13-2014, 10:36 AM

25 posts, read 50,327 times
Does anyone know the Min credit score to get approve for an apartment?

Old 05-13-2014, 04:56 PM

11 posts, read 69,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli722 View Post
wanting to move: I am in the 40's for a one bedroom apartment. I already got a letter back that they have received my money order and application back.
I am confused. I sent in my application last Monday (May 5) I called today to ask if they received my application and money order and the lady told me they would not be looking at apps until 5/19 or 5/20 so she couldn't tell me. You really got a letter from masaryk mgmt? Did anyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery