Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 05:55 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,518,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
More so you're wrong in declaring your tastes and culture "regular Americans". It's fine to prefer a particular subculture but saying regular Americans are those who like hunting, NASCAR, etc is calling large regions of the country not regular Americans, somewhat insulting. Most whites in the Northeast let alone New York City do not have these tastes. And first and second generation immigrants aren't real Americans? A large fraction of the people I knew in college (maybe 30%) had at least one parent who wasn't born in the US. Same is true for me. They are America just as much as more "native" Americans.

Considering this is the NYC forum, a high proportion of the posters are probably second-generation immigrants, and definitely most posters here aren't the "regular Americans" you describe. Not wholesome for one.
I like your response, Nie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 08:07 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I don't want to get into this in this thread, but I doubt hunting is necessary for the above. It is always chosen by some people as the first choice, not the last. Sort of reminds me of war hawks and war mongers: My answer is that this is the worst solution, and should be the last.

You know, it's also an attitude: We had women subjected to men, we had slaves, and now, we still have hunters...

They use hunting as a "solution" when it is just a preferred method.
Quote:
I could, point by point, respond to every line of your post. This thread is not for that. Sorry.

But I will say this: It is not necessary to hunt for food, yes, our way of growing and killing animals for food in our factory farms is horrible... and you should do some reading, like reading what great thinkers have to say about all of this. It has been discussed A LOT. Find it if you are really concerned about the suffering of animals.
Martha Anne,

This is my opinion and just wanted to state that I don't agree with hunting for fun or sport. I don't find any fun or amusement in just shooting an animal and watching it die and just leaving it there. But on the other hand, I would hunt for population control of some animal that spreads disease or destroys property, an animal with a quick reproductive cycle, like feral hogs or something, I'd have no problem doing it.

Let me ask you, what about people that live far from civilization, people that live off of the land, or the tribes in the remote regions of the Amazon jungle that have to hunt for food? Should they give up hunting animals just because you don't agree with it?

Old 09-08-2012, 09:07 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,701 times
Quote:
I could, point by point, respond to every line of your post. This thread is not for that. Sorry.

But I will say this: It is not necessary to hunt for food, yes, our way of growing and killing animals for food in our factory farms is horrible... and you should do some reading, like reading what great thinkers have to say about all of this. It has been discussed A LOT. Find it if you are really concerned about the suffering of animals.
"Great thinkers". Animal Rights Terrorists you mean? Most hunters do not want an animal to suffer. That's why most ensure their shot kills the first time. If you wound an animal, it could get away and you never find it. Losing skills like hunting and gathering is a terrible thing. That enables us humans to survive. Say something knocks out our infrastructure? How will you survive? You can't go to your grocer and get meat or veggies.

People in city atmospheres get used to the luxuries of the world. And when technology and commerce brings them easily accessible food and water, they lose all desire to learn how to do it on their own. They look down at people that hunt in swamps and woods and get dirty. If you want to blame anyone for suffering of animals, its the meat industry. Not the hunters in the woods at 4am helping weed out the population of deer. That's also why there is permits to control said population.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:12 AM

681 posts, read 1,672,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
"Great thinkers". Animal Rights Terrorists you mean? Most hunters do not want an animal to suffer. That's why most ensure their shot kills the first time. If you wound an animal, it could get away and you never find it. Losing skills like hunting and gathering is a terrible thing. That enables us humans to survive. Say something knocks out our infrastructure? How will you survive? You can't go to your grocer and get meat or veggies.

People in city atmospheres get used to the luxuries of the world. And when technology and commerce brings them easily accessible food and water, they lose all desire to learn how to do it on their own. They look down at people that hunt in swamps and woods and get dirty. If you want to blame anyone for suffering of animals, its the meat industry. Not the hunters in the woods at 4am helping weed out the population of deer. That's also why there is permits to control said population.
agreed!

Old 09-08-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
Martha Anne,

This is my opinion and just wanted to state that I don't agree with hunting for fun or sport. I don't find any fun or amusement in just shooting an animal and watching it die and just leaving it there. But on the other hand, I would hunt for population control of some animal that spreads disease or destroys property, an animal with a quick reproductive cycle, like feral hogs or something, I'd have no problem doing it.

Let me ask you, what about people that live far from civilization, people that live off of the land, or the tribes in the remote regions of the Amazon jungle that have to hunt for food? Should they give up hunting animals just because you don't agree with it?

Those humans who still live in undeveloped areas, who live outside of our kind of civilization, must hunt for food. They have no choice: You do. No, I don''t believe in hunting for animal control or to protect property, absolutely no. There are other ways...

Old 09-08-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post

It would take a long time to respond to your comments. Can't do that here, but they are truly shocking.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:23 AM

304 posts, read 871,862 times
Northern cities tend to be faster past and denser than southern cities. It is probably the contrast that is getting to you. I think you maybe should reevaluate your own attitude before making a generalization of a city of the size of NY
Also, yes there may be more people that are not "long term Americans", but that adds to the diversity and excitement of aarea IMO. You sound like more of a small town conservative guy which is fine, but may not be suitable for New York. As someone who has lived in the south and north, I appreciate southern hospitality, but Ive also found many southern areas tend to be rather cliquish to people they perceive not to be in their "in group." Sometimes that ingroup is defined as common race, nationality, or some sort of shared qualities. That said many southern cities are amazing. Good luck to you.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 AM

75 posts, read 107,461 times
You said southern towns can be cliquish and people divide into their own little groups. Maybe true, but this is more common in very small towns, not in my hometown of Athens GA.

I find NYC to be especially cliquish. Especially the liberals who say they like living in a diverse city. Sounds so PC but in reality, most people in NYC and nearly everyplace else just want to interact with people just like themselves. Because each group is so large with 14 million residents in greater NYC you have a great chance of finding someone just like you maybe more than in small town GA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseehero1 View Post
Northern cities tend to be faster past and denser than southern cities. It is probably the contrast that is getting to you. I think you maybe should reevaluate your own attitude before making a generalization of a city of the size of NY
Also, yes there may be more people that are not "long term Americans", but that adds to the diversity and excitement of aarea IMO. You sound like more of a small town conservative guy which is fine, but may not be suitable for New York. As someone who has lived in the south and north, I appreciate southern hospitality, but Ive also found many southern areas tend to be rather cliquish to people they perceive not to be in their "in group." Sometimes that ingroup is defined as common race, nationality, or some sort of shared qualities. That said many southern cities are amazing. Good luck to you.

Last edited by regular folk; 09-10-2012 at 12:08 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 01:03 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,701 times
Quote:
It would take a long time to respond to your comments. Can't do that here, but they are truly shocking.
Then send a PM

Old 09-10-2012, 01:12 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen. specific View Post
lol I think your complaints are .... cute. because I noticed these things when I moved here but was quickly broken in

but every time I leave the city I am VERY taken back by the lack of ego and acceptance in some scenarios where I'd expect it.

you can make small talk to random people on the street here, you really just need to know what you are doing. there are PLENTY of people like you that want someone to talk to them. ask someone where they got an outfit, bingo.
True. I find most natives are actually pretty good people. I wouldn't call them approachable. New Yorkers and by that I mean natives or people who have been living here for some time aren't approachable but they aren't nasty either. People put up a wall as a defense mechanism to survive in this crazy city but they are not bad people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City