Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 12:51 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,035,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
Not precisely but if there's 1,108 apartments in total, 4 buildings, each at 21 stories apiece and built in 1966, what is true for one building must be true for all, so if you find the proportion for one of the buildings, or can spread the prognostications around in equal fourths, you've probably found it for each. Could it be possible, for example, that each floor has only 1 studio (as 21x4=84)? And would it be possible then (for someone else, not me, haha) to prognosticate that a 1 bdr + 2bdr takes up the same amount of space as a 3-bdr, and extrapolate how many are likely to be on each floor? Are there 4-bdrs to mess up the ratio further?
Yeah, I was operating on the assumption each building layout was *probably* the same, although I think that is a false assumption based on my walking around there and actually seeing the buildings. The north buildings have secondary entrances/lobbies and I think are larger than the two south buildings (the two north structures may actually function as four buildings instead of two). I am going on the 1 studio per floor assumption because more would put studios over 10% of the total - I said 80-84 because the first floors of all the buildings should have different layouts than the rest of the floors because of the lobbies.

On another note, I saw that they were completely reconstructing balconies on at least one building, so the renovation work is pretty extensive. Did look like some of the scaffolding was in the process of being dismantled last I walked through though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 04:11 PM

329 posts, read 682,516 times
I walk by pretty often. The scaffolding has come down. They have been working on the parking lots and the side walk on the Columbia side. I've been looking for floor plans or a brochsure. Can't find anything.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:09 PM

483 posts, read 691,865 times
Huh, interesting! I would think if you were going to build buildings with identically sized guts you'd have them, well, identical. Seems like a lot of work for them to be actually different but that's why the architects make the big bucks. Or, you never know, they seem reliable enough but I don't know if Emporis backs up its data with feet on the ground. Maybe they, likewise, assumed the buildings would all be identical. I agree though, the studio math works out too patly with the 10% rule taken into account to be very wrong.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,233 times
Smile masaryk tower

hi all, I stopped by the management office today and was told they need a month to know if they received the application, so hopefully call before the end of June to find it out.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
Huh, interesting! I would think if you were going to build buildings with identically sized guts you'd have them, well, identical. Seems like a lot of work for them to be actually different but that's why the architects make the big bucks. Or, you never know, they seem reliable enough but I don't know if Emporis backs up its data with feet on the ground. Maybe they, likewise, assumed the buildings would all be identical. I agree though, the studio math works out too patly with the 10% rule taken into account to be very wrong.
Here's a map model of the neighborhood with Masaryk in the lower right, you see the difference between the north buildings and the south buildings, the main part of the ones on the northern side look to be the same as the south buildings, but with an additional attached part with its own lobbies at the ends.

http://urbanomnibus.net/redux/wp-con...axon-865px.jpg

Old 05-30-2014, 07:27 PM

I see what you mean popartist. I wonder if the office give that information out. You're on the studio waiting list?

Does anyone know what the process is to get a parking space?

Old 05-30-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanting_to_move View Post
I see what you mean popartist. I wonder if the office give that information out. You're on the studio waiting list?

Does anyone know what the process is to get a parking space?
No, I am on the one bedroom list, just trying to determine if I should adjust my two-year wait estimate up or down a bit!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:46 PM

May I ask what number you are?

Old 05-30-2014, 08:01 PM

I'm in the 190s.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:06 PM

Thats a good number to have when I got on the list in 2010 I got number 1100 today its at 700ish. It moves just a bit slow. Dont forget the waiting list only moves after its been offered to the current residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery