Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 11:43 AM

31,075 posts, read 22,094,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My parents are in their mid 70s and they had no problem with interracial relationships - and still don't. THEIR parents' generation (raised and well into adulthood prior to the Civil Rights Movement) had more of an issue with it, but guess what - THEY'RE ALL DEAD NOW.

We win!
Yeah, thats what I can't figure out. When the the OP says older. Is that my generation (Xer), yours or your parents generation perhaps.

There are certain conditions where I would be against my nieces or other relatives dating someone who typified (And therefore perpetuate) negative stereotypes.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:27 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,199,992 times
Quote:
Hey. To whoever left this "rep" on my profile without leaving your name (uncool on so many different levels, by the way):

You don't need to worry about my family. My family is fine with me posting this information on this forum. There is absolutely no way that they can be harmed in any way by me doing so.

If YOU don't want YOUR family members to discuss YOUR family, then take it up with them. As for my family, frankly our agreements are not your business.

And please feel free to put me on "ignore" if my comments irritate you. I don't believe they are against forum rules.
That was a great post putting someone in their place that truly deserves it. Plus, they did not even have the courage to identify themselves. The pictures of your family were just fine and demonstrates to all that interracial relations/families are perfectly OK and thriving in the U.S.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
That was a great post putting someone in their place that truly deserves it. Plus, they did not even have the courage to identify themselves. The pictures of your family were just fine and demonstrates to all that interracial relations/families are perfectly OK and thriving in the U.S.
Thanks for the great comments, chessgeek. I agree that nasty little comments left without any identification are truly pathetic, cowardly, and useless gestures. They don't bother me or cause me to lose any sleep because for starters, I got the rep points anyway, but even moreso - GET THIS, RACISTS (not you, of course, chessgeek!):

I married a man from another race and had four kids with him. Do you REALLY think I wasn't aware that there are still racist idiots out there? Do you REALLY think I didn't figure out real fast how to deal with them in real life? That being said, do you REALLY think your pathetic, anonymous comments on the internet cause me one whit of anxiety? I've dealt with a lot worse situations than this, I can assure you - and came out on the winning side of those situations as well.

At least you're entertaining - sort of like Honey BooBoo or Swamp People.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:42 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,737,138 times
People like to hate when they can be anonymous about it! It's funny, I have a post in the wedding forum about how my mother in law wants to go with me alone, without my mom, sister (moh) and niece (a junior bridesmaid and my little buddy!). I was told in an anonymous comment that I was being a princess and I was joining HIS family. Not a word about how we should be trying to blend two families! I was so irritated about it, just because I wish people would attach a name to their attacks! I'd be MORE irritated if someone attacked my family, though. It's just sad that anonymous people sit behind a screen and just want to say cruel attacks bc no one knows who they are.

I feel like there are racists in every generation, because some parents like to teach their children to hate. And that's really sad. I lived in a rural town where my brother-in-law was the only black man and he managed my parents' restaurant. Folks said, "I won't eat here anymore if you continue to allow this" and my dad's reaction was "Great! I don't want to see you here again!" This was.... 2002? Though I doubt that town has changed. It never does. Those folks teach their children to hate and not accept any change.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:06 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
I did not leave you an anonymous rep Kathryn, I already said I don't like your propensity for posting pictures of your children and grandchildren on an open forum, but I did so in Parenting. Lovely though they may be, it makes me uncomfortable to see their faces posted. JMO, which doesn't seem to be shared here. Carry on.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I did not leave you an anonymous rep Kathryn, I already said I don't like your propensity for posting pictures of your children and grandchildren on an open forum, but I did so in Parenting. Lovely though they may be, it makes me uncomfortable to see their faces posted. JMO, which doesn't seem to be shared here. Carry on.
I didn't make any assumptions or accusations about who posted it, Mattie, so you're off the hook.

And of course, you're entitled to your opinion about whether it's appropriate or not to post personal photos on this site (or others) and I respect your right to express that opinion also. I also APPRECIATE that you express your viewpoint "publicly" rather than in an anonymous "rep" comment. Polite disagreement is something I have no problem with so I have no problem with you.

No one has ever, ever been able to give me a bona fide example of actual harm that has come from posting such photos in a forum such as this, and I've researched this topic pretty thoroughly myself since my family and I love photos and love posting them on a wide variety of forums, including YouTube, FB, Instagram, and a wide range of blogs and groups that have to do with everything from homeschooling, to Achilles tendon injuries, to taking care of "natural hair."

I'm sorry if this truly makes you feel uncomfortable, but all I can tell you, and I mean this very respectfully, is that if my posts really do bother you that much, maybe you should place me on your ignore list, because I'm probably going to continue to post such photos from time to time, and I genuinely don't mean to distress anyone over it.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:26 PM

286 posts, read 450,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Someone else posting pictures makes you feel uncomfortable... lmao.
Do you also feel uncomfortable when you look at social media sites.. do you have one?

Anywho... OP,
I'm an African American woman who is married to a black man. I've dated a latino man and an Asian man and slightly dated (no title/non physical) a white man before and I truly loved their families. DH's family... not so much. They're horrible people.. all women... and always fighting amongst themselves. The husband's of the older generation and my generation does not get along because of the women.

The only thing the In-laws can agree on is their hatred for me which is out of pure jealousy. They have accused me of being more "beauty than brains" and using my looks to get by in life. When we did go to gatherings the husbands/boyfriends (from their own words) were not allowed to talk/joke with me.

Eventually we cut them off. It has been 6yrs now and our life is so perfectly drama free. DH is no longer irritated or short tempered which is normal for anyone going through a stressful heartbreaking situation. I never made DH choose but eventually he believed he had to and he choose the family that he created, he choose us.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSaySheSay View Post
Do you also feel uncomfortable when you look at social media sites.. do you have one?

Anywho... OP,
I'm an African American woman who is married to a black man. I've dated a latino man and an Asian man and slightly dated (no title/non physical) a white man before and I truly loved their families. DH's family... not so much. They're horrible people.. all women... and always fighting amongst themselves. The husband's of the older generation and my generation does not get along because of the women.

The only thing the In-laws can agree on is their hatred for me which is out of pure jealousy. They have accused me of being more "beauty than brains" and using my looks to get by in life. When we did go to gatherings the husbands/boyfriends (from their own words) were not allowed to talk/joke with me.

Eventually we cut them off. It has been 6yrs now and our life is so perfectly drama free. DH is no longer irritated or short tempered which is normal for anyone going through a stressful heartbreaking situation. I never made DH choose but eventually he believed he had to and he choose the family that he created, he choose us.
OK, you'll have to take my word for it, but I am giving you a standing ovation!

Old 02-25-2014, 04:34 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,203,029 times
Quote:
OK, you'll have to take my word for it, but I am giving you a standing ovation!
Kathryn! I expected a picture of you standing. LOL

Old 02-25-2014, 04:36 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,203,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSaySheSay View Post

Anywho... OP,

Good for your husband. He made your lives so much easier. You were right - it was jealousy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships