Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 10:56 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
If you are distracted by someone taking a "selfie", you're not paying all THAT much attention to the game.
If it was just 'someone', no problem. But it's legions of people holding their dear little phones up in front of them (and everyone behind them) all game long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
If it bothers you that much - stay home and watch the game streaming live.
If you just want to take pics of yourself - stay home and watch the game streaming live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 11:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Oh well, maybe I'm oblivious but I go to different events often throughout the year and I've yet to be bothered by people taking photos - any photos - with their phones. Or cameras for that matter. I guess I just EXPECT people to take photos when they're at events. I can't imagine why it bothers someone unless the person is actually standing in front of you impeding your view or their flash is constant and disturbing (the occasional flash doesn't seem like it should be too bothersome at an event).

Old 05-05-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh well, maybe I'm oblivious but I go to different events often throughout the year and I've yet to be bothered by people taking photos - any photos - with their phones. Or cameras for that matter. I guess I just EXPECT people to take photos when they're at events. I can't imagine why it bothers someone unless the person is actually standing in front of you impeding your view or their flash is constant and disturbing (the occasional flash doesn't seem like it should be too bothersome at an event).
Maybe people are more polite in Texas.

I went to a performance at the Hollywood Bowl...I mean not just cameras but full iPads all night long, jostling for better position, and then the constant glow of the screens while they upload to Narcis-book or Insta-bore.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:06 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Maybe people are more polite in Texas.

I went to a performance at the Hollywood Bowl...I mean not just cameras but full iPads all night long, jostling for better position, and then the constant glow of the screens while they upload to Narcis-book or Insta-bore.
In the last two years, I've been to events in Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland, Washington DC, and Ohio and not one of them had anything like you were describing to the point it would bother someone.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
In the last two years, I've been to events in Kentucky, Virginia, Maryland, Washington DC, and Ohio and not one of them had anything like you were describing to the point it would bother someone.
Admittedly, I do live in the epicenter of "look at me!!"

Old 05-05-2014, 11:23 AM

OK, I'll be nice for a moment here...

Selfies aren't bad in and of themselves. IMHO, they're just one of the things that created a tipping point for me about attending events, everything from sports to movies, concerts, etc.

Ticket prices are nuts, food and bev, parking, and it just seems that the "look where I am" crowd was the last straw, when that portion of the crowd seemed to reach a certain 'mass' at events I would attend. And again, it's not 'them' in and of themselves. It's the screens, them standing up and down trying to get position, standing in aisles, etc. Yes, that is disruptive.

I mean I may be in the minority now, but I like to pay pretty much complete attention to what's in front of me at these events. To go to an expensive concert, say, and spend most of the night trying to capture the moment on a phone and "share" it with others immediately seems illogical. Sure, it's sort of not my business; not everyone has to enjoy an event in the same fashion I do. But this phenomenon seems to me to be as illogical as me bringing my own food to a restaurant so I could enjoy it the way I want to.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:28 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Another one who doesn't get it.

If you don't want to watch a basketball game, if it's boring to you, don't go. That's easy right?

If you do go, please use a modicum of manners and respect those who are there to watch the game (concert/play/movie), and don't create a distraction through excessive and intrusive phototaking. Note use of the word intrusive (clogging up aisles, constantly holding up phone blocking view). Nothing wrong with a couple snapshots, but those of you who have been to events in the last couple of years know what I'm talking about.
I went to a basket ball game last year and of all sports I don't know how you can complain when half the time of attendance is actual playing. It was an an absolute circus and the side entertainment is so overwhelming I don't know how you notice anyone taking selfies. I didn't notice anyone taking selfies. Same with the football games I used to work.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I went to a basket ball game last year and of all sports I don't know how you can complain when half the time of attendance is actual playing. It was an an absolute circus and the side entertainment is so overwhelming I don't know how you notice anyone taking selfies. I didn't notice anyone taking selfies. Same with the football games I used to work.
Hence why I don't go to pro games anymore, period. "Selfies" was just the latest in a string of things that makes these games boring as hell in person and so not worth the exorbitant $.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:31 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,012 times
Sounds like the OP touched a nerve with the selfie mirror gazers. People are doing it because everyone else is, like the trendy sheep they are.
Why not just experience life's little moments with your five senses and let them pass? By focusing on a cold metal object in your hands you dilute the essence of the experience.
Take the photos outside the stadium, concert venue etc, put the phone away and fully experience the event while it is happening.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:32 AM

477 posts, read 509,517 times
Quote:
If it was just 'someone', no problem. But it's legions of people holding their dear little phones up in front of them (and everyone behind them) all game long.
I have never ever seen "legions of people" doing any such thing at any public event I've ever been too. Ever. I suppose people holding up lighters at concerts (do they still do that?) really gets your goat as well. Wear sunglasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships