Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 11:58 AM

422 posts, read 2,005,480 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My name is Molly. I have lived in the Poconos for about 8 years. I hope to be very helpful on this site. So if you have any questions about the area...Stroudsburg and all its surrounding towns--ASK ME!!

I am originally from Long Island. I am married and have young children. I used to be a teacher.

Any questions about where TO live where NOT to live--job opportunites--things to do. ASK MOLLY!!

Old 05-07-2007, 12:40 PM

470 posts, read 1,707,726 times
Hi Molly,

Thanks for the offer! Do you know anything about higher education employment opportunities? I am a college advisor moving to Dingmans Ferry.

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2007, 02:00 PM

Dingmans Ferry, very nice area. Secluded nice community. I do not know of any off hand. I'm sure you already know of the local colleges, East STroudsburg University, Northhampton Community College. possible jobs available, there. There are some schools for the "behavior problem children" that would probably need your assistance. I also would look into the Sparta/Newton/Blairstown area of NJ for JObs. Those towns are easy to get to from Dingmans Ferry and would probably pay more. Also try a job search in NAIS.org it is a website that list private independent schools. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:14 PM

487 posts, read 1,374,939 times
Welcome to City-Data MollyMe. We're always looking for more NEPA expertise. We'll be spending weekends and vacations in Greentown, Pike County for the next few years. Then we will permanently relocate there. We are quite taken with the area and are also now living on Long Island. I guess I don't have to tell you what the cost of living is like here....outrageous! Looking for a better quality of life, slower pace, friendlier people, and trees!

Old 05-07-2007, 02:34 PM

176 posts, read 650,812 times
Default Colleges in NE PA

Hi Suzer,
Dingmans is located in Pike county, which is still fairly rural. The closest colleges are the two Molly mentioned in Monroe county (about a 45 minute-1 hr drive) and those in the Scranton area (Marywood, U of S, Johnson Tech, Lackawanna) also about an hr away off of rte 84. There are others near SCranton (Baptist Bible and Keystone) and some down in Wilkes-Barre but they would be even further.
Good luck with your relocation.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:07 PM

470 posts, read 1,707,726 times
Thank you! There are a couple of positions open at Northampton that I'm going to apply for.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:27 PM

good luck!!! I was an Adjunct Professor there a few years ago. Great place to work for.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:05 AM

70 posts, read 314,037 times
hi mollyme, I was checking out houses nr allentown and a realtor said that summit hill was very cheap, do you know if there are any jobs or would I have to drive to allentown, I have a 7 mo old so I would also be looking for a moms group and activities for him, thanx molly.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:06 AM

70 posts, read 314,037 times
also what is there to do nr summit hill? and is it a depressed area?

Old 05-08-2007, 11:05 AM

Summit Hill is in Lehighton/Jim Thorpe area. Jim Thorpe is very historical place. Summit Hill is near rt. 209. which is nice and the school districts are pretty good too. No crime or gangs to speak of. But it is close to Tamaqua--which is just slightly changing to white-trashy...but its gonna another decade in it.

For Jobs--it all depends what your field is. Major companies are Olympus (as in cameras) in Allentown and Sanofi-Pasteur (formerly Aventis --drug company)-which is north in Swiftwater. Commute is very very do-able.

Depressed Area---hmmm...well I think it was at one time. Old cities are trying to make a comeback due to the population boom in Monroe county. But you should visit the town--take a look at the local supermarkets and see who is shopping. There are malls in Allentown and hospitals too. Allentown has everything, but I wouldn't want to live there--too busy. I like the rural area. Check out www.poconocommuter.com and ask around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania