Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2007, 02:14 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventlady View Post
My husband and I and our infant son have to relocate to the Mount Pocono area very quickly... my husband just accepted a job at Pocono Mountain East HS and has to start in ONE WEEK! YIKES! We are looking to rent, but I feel like I've exhausted my resources looking for something affordable and decent. We've been getting mixed messages about PCP, but it seems like the only place we'll be able to afford before I can find a job.

Any ideas? (We've been on craigslist every day all day and I've checked out the Pocono Record listings)

THANKS!
No matter what you have to do, I would not go there.
You will be very unhappy........it is not the place to be. Did you try Pocono Farms. That is in the same area but fine, and a good community.
A drive from Tannersville, Bartonsville, Scotrun are close towns.
You could even come this way, stay at a hotel for a week......and there are signs here and there with rent by owner. Can you rent at Emerald Lakes, that is not all that far. I'll PM you..........

Last edited by Summering; 08-11-2007 at 02:22 PM..

Old 08-12-2007, 06:15 AM

2 posts, read 27,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzymare View Post
Molly,
I accidentally sent you a response that was meant for someone else. By the way, I am a realtor and I just wanted to mention that Wild Acres presently has 65 listings, most of which range in price from low 100's to mid 200's even though there are some large very expensive homes.
izzymare do you have a web site for me to look at wild acres

Old 08-14-2007, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 60,454 times
I am trying to find out if there are any lakes in the Pocono or Jim Thorpe area's that allow public access swimming. I heard that "Lake Harmony" is nice, but I can't find any info on it other than rental properties.
I just want to find a clean lake to take the family for swimming and maybe a picnic. Any ideas? Thanks very much for your help.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:24 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishygirl View Post
I am trying to find out if there are any lakes in the Pocono or Jim Thorpe area's that allow public access swimming. I heard that "Lake Harmony" is nice, but I can't find any info on it other than rental properties.
I just want to find a clean lake to take the family for swimming and maybe a picnic. Any ideas? Thanks very much for your help.
Lake Harmony isn't a public lake, unless you are renting.
Go to Beltzville Lake off of 209 in the Jim Thorpe area. It has great picnic areas, a nice beach, and you can even rent a boat if you wish. It is a huge lake and even has motorboating. Swimming in the coves from a boat is just wonderful.
You should be able to Google that lake.
Also there is another lake just outside of Jim Thorpe...Munchunk(sp) Lake.
I have never been to it. But one member here went there when Beltzville was closed and they liked it.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:06 PM

372 posts, read 1,228,462 times
Smile Loved these lakes!

Just to get the spelling right there, it's Mauch Chunk Lake. I went there often when I was young, along with Lake Hauto, a lovely place on Route 54 just outside of Nesquehoning (although the addresses there are Nesq!) Not sure if they allow boats with motors at Mauch Chunk, but they do at Lake Hauto. I remember there are restrictions regarding motor power there.

Beltzville has been closed at least once this year because of bacteria levels being elevated. Just an FYI. Didn't hear about the others for this season. If you go to Beltzville, you should stop by Platz's Restaurant after your day - good food and great Bloody Marys!

Cathy

Old 08-16-2007, 06:02 PM

Thanks Summering and Cathyde for your replies!
I think my best bet might be Mauch chunk Lake Park.
Beltzville dam looks like a great place, but when I googled it, I found several articles about ongoing problems with bacterial contamination.
Has anyone ever been to Hickory run state park? I hear they have swimming too.

Fishygirl

Old 08-16-2007, 06:32 PM

Cathy,
I looked up Lake Hauto and it's beautiful.
Unfortunately, it looks like the lake is private.
Do you happen to know if there is public access swimming?

Fishygirl

Old 08-16-2007, 07:00 PM

63 posts, read 224,916 times
Beltzville Lake is without a doubt the nicest state park with lake in the area. Yes now and then there are problems, but it is closely monitored. I would definitely choose it over Hickory Run. Cathy was right...go to Platz...great place!

Old 08-16-2007, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 13,732 times
Default Can you recommend a self storage location in East Stroudsburg?

I am coming up next week. I would love to find an spotlessly clean, safe, climate controlled facility. I have one in mind but just read a horrible review from another facility in the same chain.
Any suggestions?

Old 08-17-2007, 05:52 AM

2 posts, read 27,556 times
I've been searching the area of Long Pond, any thoughts on this location for a senior retired couple to settle down here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania