Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 06:56 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnichelle View Post
My Original Quote:
Hi Molly,
My husband and I are trying to get information on good areas in Pennsylvania to live. We live in Manhattan now trying to raise two girls 15 and 10, it is not easy. We are middle income and we are looking for a house in the Pocono area. We have no idea where to look. I grew up in the Catskills so I like quiet rural (not too rural), good schools with plenty of activities to keep them going. We would both be commuting to New York City to work everyday, I hear good and bad things about the pocono areas, can you give me a clue as to what counties to look in. I know everyone has their own personal experiences whether positive or negative but any information would help.

Okay so here is some info I left out and after I read my original post I realized I should have divulged all the details first.

Hi Molly,
My husband and I are looking for areas to consider moving to in the Pocono area with our daughters age 10 and 15. We both work in the city , I usually only have to commute to work 2-3 days a week, usually only 4 hours max, I am a freelance television producer for on air promotions. I left the full time job market 10 years ago when I had my youngest daughter. My husband works for MTA full time, he would be the one commuting full time to work daily. OUCH MOMS!!! Yes things still can happen during the course of the day but I am home when they leave for school and before they get home every day and I have been for the last 10 years. I do take the commute into consideration even the bad weather. I am fortunate enough to be able to do most of my work from home. My husband is also home 2 days during the week. I realized how my original post must have appeared to you, afer I read all the posts after yours. I am still interested if anyone wants to take a crack at helping me out.
Swn.........You did a fine posting. But, great it is so much clearer now.
Areas are so important. Every border area is a bit different. You can get to the city by buses out of the Easton area.......living that way.
Or you can get to the city, taking buses out of Effort or Stroudsburg.....DWG also. Your taste in what type of town environment is going to be important to you.........I personally like the Pleasant Valley Schools and the area around it.
But......I think some of the lehigh areas are wonderful also. Plus, there is more for kids to do in the Lehigh area. Do a lot of research on here.....and then ask away anytime. Most of us have DM areas and feel free to ask......
Best of Luck to you......Do the homework and research, so you will be happy with the move. You don't want to land up in the wrong place for your happy home.........

Old 02-02-2008, 11:01 AM

22 posts, read 54,801 times
Summering-

I like how you recommend people checking out the areas for themselves. It is extremely nice of you to try and direct people in the right way. People really do see things differently than others.. You are a great PA advocate.... . Well said...

Best of luck to you in your search mysons3

BTW-
The weather is improving and the ice is melting slowly. Main road s are very good. Some slick side roads still. The high this weekend is supposed to be 40 ish

Old 02-02-2008, 11:06 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
Yes, it is really best for people not to listen to 'hear say' about an area. Everyone has different likes and dislikes and their are a lot of rumors about certain school districts and certain communities. It is best to pay a visit to the school, talk with the administration and pay a visit to the communities and talk with their security personnel and some of the people who already live there.
I know that many people have heard some outrageously NOT true things about The Hideout and have eliminated them for their possibilities. This is a shame, since it is a great, safe, very reasonably priced place to live.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfish12 View Post
Summering-

I like how you recommend people checking out the areas for themselves. It is extremely nice of you to try and direct people in the right way. People really do see things differently than others.. You are a great PA advocate.... . Well said...

Best of luck to you in your search mysons3

BTW-
The weather is improving and the ice is melting slowly. Main road s are very good. Some slick side roads still. The high this weekend is supposed to be 40 ish
...........And I hear MrsFish that my driveway would of been packed with ICE.
If you only knew that story. I don't want to repeat....but, Whew, no wonder why I got double Pneumonia. 2" on a mile uphill driveway......
Lucky I ever, ever got out. LOL.......
Thank you for your kind words. Pa has wonderful places. Everyones situation is so different. Everyones needs.......so it takes lots of work to find just the right spot for "you"......

Old 02-05-2008, 06:43 AM

3 posts, read 9,650 times
Hi Molly,

My name is Maricela and I will be moving into the area in the next week and wanted to know if you know of any places that are hiring. I currently work in West Point and will be moving to Hawley,a few blocks from the middle school, and its a hike to drive so I wanted to find something more local. I currently work at the hospital in the collections department but think that I would like something more invloved with people. If you know of anything that would be great. Thanks!!!

Old 02-05-2008, 07:09 AM

You'd be best to go to the Pocono Record and look up jobs listed.
You are moving to a very rural area. There is not going to be a ton of jobs up that
way. You may want to try a hospital for the collections type of job.
However, you know that Pa. doesn't pay like New York. You may get a third of what your earning now.
Jobs are hard to come by. Some people on here look for a long, long, time to find something in their fields. The pay is always a shock to them.
Summering

Old 02-05-2008, 07:34 AM

3 posts, read 9,650 times
Thanks Summering....I've taken the pay cut into consideration. I still think its better than to commute 4hrs a day....thats just not for me. Besides we plan on having children soon and I want to be closer to home. I will be making the commute until I find something closer to home. Heck Im even considering waitressing cause Im sick of being stuck in a cubicle and having people yell at me all the time!!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:38 AM

996 posts, read 3,279,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariposaRaap View Post
Hi Molly,

My name is Maricela and I will be moving into the area in the next week and wanted to know if you know of any places that are hiring. I currently work in West Point and will be moving to Hawley,a few blocks from the middle school, and its a hike to drive so I wanted to find something more local. I currently work at the hospital in the collections department but think that I would like something more invloved with people. If you know of anything that would be great. Thanks!!!
Welcome to the area. I am nearby in Greentown, but my kids go to the high school and middle school, so I would be happy to help you out if you have any questions. I don't blame you for not wanting to drive so far to work. Here are a few links to the local newspapers for the Hawley/Honesdale area that have some job listings:

The NewsEagle Homepage - Hawley, PA - The News Eagle

The Wayne Independent Homepage - Honesdale, PA - Wayne Independent

You could also check the website for Wayne Memorial Hospital in Honesdale. They have positions available listed on their website. Not sure how familiar you are with the area, but Honesdale is only about 20 minutes from Hawley and there are many businesses there, so you should be able to find something there, even if it's just a stepping stone to a better position. There are also several large banks in Honesdale that always seem to be hiring.
If these areas don't work out, you could always try the Scranton area, which would be about a 45-minute drive, but still less driving than what you are doing now.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:47 AM

Great information Greentown, you are always such a wonderful help to people.
I'm sure your information will help her get a job closer to home.
Hopefully in a happy place.......with no one yelling at her all day long

Old 02-05-2008, 09:01 AM

996 posts, read 3,279,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Great information Greentown, you are always such a wonderful help to people.
I'm sure your information will help her get a job closer to home.
Hopefully in a happy place.......with no one yelling at her all day long
Thank you for your kind words Summering. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope she can find something suitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania