Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 08:32 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times

Advertisements

sleepyeyes,

There are actually real gangs all over the city of Cleveland and everywhere in East Cleveland. Even historically "nicer" areas like Lakeshore (E156th/E185th, etc.), West Park, and Old Brooklyn have real gangs now. Just to name a few on the westside you have madison madhouse, Folks, Latin Kings, Bloods, Crips, many others not to mention gangs all over the Eastside.

As far as gang culture, you can't really compare anywhere else to LA or Chicago, but that doesn't mean that there are other areas with gang culture, Cleveland being one of them now. I really don't understand the argument because we're only disagreeing on a small part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:43 PM

433 posts, read 875,758 times
First of all I am sure that you can not convince too many people that Cleveland is more dangerous than L.A. or Chicago. Chicago has had more homicides than in the war last year. If you don't belive me google it. First thing you are going to say is they have or two million people which is true. Does not matter. If you actually take a typical cleveland year and changed the numbers according to population we would for the most part always be behind in the murder rate. When you are constantly on CNN and have the President of the United states talk about the number of kids that are being killed their is usually a crack down. They have no choice not to do anything because they are getting way too much negative attention and it makes everyone look incompitent from the mayor to the police cheif and city council members. There was a couple of years that cincinatti had a higher murder rate than cleveland. What goes up must come down. A lot of dis shi% got to do with politics. The higher the murder rate means eventually there will be years where it is way down. To prove my point what recent year that youngstown had a higher murderate than Cleveland. Are you going to argure that youngstown is more dangerous than Cleveland. New orleans has been one of the leading cities in homicide rates but will be on the most dangerous list at the middle or bottom I checked this year their number one. It is never consistent.

Last edited by sleepy eyes 1979; 06-17-2009 at 09:00 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 08:58 PM

I lived on Ocean View. I was locked up for a little less than thirty days and dats all dey talked about was gangs. Man you get locked up in da county you never here dat talk. And combine all of the other cities suffolk portsmouth newportnews. If you are not from cleveland you have know idea what im talking bout.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:03 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Actually, most people believe that Cleveland is more dangerous than Chicago or LA. The main ones who don't believe it are the ones who watch the news or movies and see the Chicago and LA gangs/crime problem of today or especially the past (because they're larger it's more publicized).

In one of Barack Obamas biggest speeches during his presidential campaign, he said something along the lines of "I know guns are used differently by hunters in rural Ohio than gang members in Cleveland". If you missed that speech, I'm sure it's posted somewhere on the internet.

If Cleveland had a population of 2,836,000 (Chicagos population) with the 2007 murder rate (30.8/per 100k) it would actually have 873 murders compared to Chicagos 443 murders in 2007. Youngstown usually has a higher murder rate than Cleveland, along with almost every other city in the country. I would put their crime rates as very similar. Also New Orleans was on many "most dangerous lists", It was ranked #1 last time http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/City...8_Rank_Rev.pdf .

Old 06-17-2009, 09:15 PM

I don't know what hood you from but to even mention that there are crypts and bloods are ridiculous. Really don't know what the essays call demselves because dey roll in pacts anyway. I never said that there is not gangs but they are extremely watered down. You show me a murder or crime against another so called blood or crypt in the last ten years. What do you do ride around the neighbor hood and look at graffiti. Stop buying into want the media want you to belive in. There is no gang culture. A perfect example is I knew some lames that stayed on 118th and Kinsman and use to always say dey folks or G. D.s. But everyother day they want me to flip the pillows on my couch to dig for some change to get a shell to smoke. Want me to put two dollars on da weed cause dey broke. I don't care what you call yourself that is not a gangerster. You wanna smoke so bad go rob somebody. Dat what a ganster a doo. stop begging. that is the difference beteween real ni##s and people who try to fit in. And I know them fools won't bust a grape. All of these so called gangs have no reputation in Cleveland at all.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:19 PM

I don't know where cle 44o is from but every last one of those so gangs has no hood credit or reputation in Cleveland what so ever.Old brooklyn. Man you out dere on the ege where da white folks at. crypts bloods are you serious. I just need one person to identify with me if you actually from cleveland cause apparently you can not be talking about bloods and crypts. East cleveland gangs are dead. Extremely weak because there is no following. you need to stop misrepresentin my city. We don't bang we Slang!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:30 PM

This is the last time I will comment on this so called gang problem in Cleveland. Since you people love stats. Show me some stats based on actuall crime that took in Cleveland that was determined gang related. It does not matter what you say you affilated with anyway. All a gang is a large number people. That don't make you gangsters. I here it all the time in the streets Cleveland aint got know gangs. Thats da word in the street. You are obviously influenced by the media. Learn to think outside the box.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:34 PM

just to put this out there New York is the first state to have an gang in America and they were not even black or hispanic. The irony.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy eyes 1979 View Post
I lived on Ocean View. I was locked up for a little less than thirty days and dats all dey talked about was gangs. Man you get locked up in da county you never here dat talk. And combine all of the other cities suffolk portsmouth newportnews. If you are not from cleveland you have know idea what im talking bout.
Again, I dont know Cleveland like that so I cant comment on Cleveland. Are we talking gangs or gang culture??? Because Norfolk has gangs, but theres no gang culture in Norfolk. I know Norfolk, I lived there on and off for numerous years. I know Ocean View, I know Tidewater Gardens, Huntersville, Park Place, you name it Ive been there.... Of course your gonna hear dudes locked up talkin bout gangs, its pretty crazy in VA rite now mainly because its new and police dont know how to handle it... Ohio been had gangs... Its a problem in this state.... Its been a problem in this state for years and Im sure Cleveland is no exception to the rule.... Toledo has had a gang problem since the 80s and only in the late 90s it died down for a minute, Im sure Cleveland has a similar problem and Cle440 pretty much clarified that.... For real I lived in 5 of the 7 cities excluding Virginia Beach and Suffolk.... Ask anyone from the seven cities and they'll tell you gangbangin in VA is fairly new similar to Charlotte, NC which you mentioned somethin earlier about the show Gangland.... Check out the Charlotte episode and you'll see what Im talkin bout....

Old 06-17-2009, 10:15 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Actually, most people believe that Cleveland is more dangerous than Chicago or LA. The main ones who don't believe it are the ones who watch the news or movies and see the Chicago and LA gangs/crime problem of today or especially the past (because they're larger it's more publicized).

In one of Barack Obamas biggest speeches during his presidential campaign, he said something along the lines of "I know guns are used differently by hunters in rural Ohio than gang members in Cleveland". If you missed that speech, I'm sure it's posted somewhere on the internet.

If Cleveland had a population of 2,836,000 (Chicagos population) with the 2007 murder rate (30.8/per 100k) it would actually have 873 murders compared to Chicagos 443 murders in 2007. Youngstown usually has a higher murder rate than Cleveland, along with almost every other city in the country. I would put their crime rates as very similar. Also New Orleans was on many "most dangerous lists", It was ranked #1 last time http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/City...8_Rank_Rev.pdf .
Im pretty sure if Cleveland had as many people as Chicago it would not have that many murders.... As far as the 443 in 2007, thats the lowest Chicago has had in years, and in 2008 it increased..... One of the reasons why the murder rate had decreased is because of the CHA tearing down almost all of the notorious housing projects, which dislocated numerous residents not only in other parts of town, but in outlying suburbs and cities such as Harvey, IL and Gary, IN.... My fam went to Gary and said they felt a little safer there in the Murder Capital than back in the PJs they lived in back in the Chi before they got knocked down..... Like I mentioned to you before, Chicago has over 2 million people and most of the northside of town does not see the type of criminal activity as the other parts of town... Chicago is a big city that is heavily policed. And I know people from Cleveland who said they feel safer back there than in the Chi.... Cle440 Didnt you say you stayed in Englewood and Humboldt Park before?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio