Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 05:32 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Ok, quoting two of my favourite posters I read something like tom, dick and ****head earlier in the thread
That was me. Did you notice a number of people come slithering out of the woodworks that don't often post on this forum?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 05:35 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That was me. Did you notice a number of people come slithering out of the woodworks that don't often post on this forum?
Crocodiles exist in the woods as well as the swamps. Whatcha talkin' about, madam

nightcrawler is a famous poster from the NY board and Religion/Fashion.

djacques posts a lot in Politics.

Vic is a Relationships forum champ.

I'm like the newbie junior member.

So, rest assured. All of these are good dudes and one cute crocodile-come-lately

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 02-09-2012 at 05:51 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 06:03 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I keep seeing variations of this argument and I'd like some examples please.

People keep saying "You wouldn't hit another adult in real life would you?" and my thought is no, but other than going to jail, when was the last time someone put another adult in a timeout type of situation or took privileges away from them because of their inappropriate behavior? Not to mention trying to correct or teach another adult how to behave is futile, and not our place anyway. So forgive me if I don't see the point of that particular argument.
What do you mean, "other than going to jail"? This IS what makes timeout more relevant, along with banning people from certain locations if they act inappropriately there and probations having to do with how far from a town you can travel. And this is besides a more common practice regarding older children and adolescents called grounding. Further, privileges and belongings are FREQUENTLY taken away from adults for poor behavior too, so I don't get THAT argument. These are just more sensible transitions into the real world than spanking.

Also, not to get off-topic, but I disagree that it isn't our place to correct and teach other adults. This sounds like a proposition to let ignorance thrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Vic doesn't seem to understand, it is easier to just smack the kid on the arm to get the point across fast. Not a full fledged spanking, just enough to make your point. Nothing abusive, not pulling pants down and whipping with a belt,
just a plain old grab the arm type of thing.

not to sit down and try to reason with a 5 year old.
Thank you, for being honest.

It's "Why spank?" instead of "Why not spank?" because concerning observational learning, kids can learn through being spanked to hit others to solve their problems/relieve frustration. Other methods of discipline do not pose this risk. Other methods suggest to the child that thinking/meditating and reasoning are the normal ways to resolve any issue you may have.

"Normal" is a very important word to focus on here. Young children learn what is normal from their parents. How you act is how they believe they should be acting. It's really quite simple. Sometimes, they're going to do what you do, and not just what you say.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:09 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
It will not neccesarily create aggression or would be violent adults - hitting kids might just break their spirit and you end up with passive broken people...I never struck my children - my mother and father may have toyed with us with the jingling of a belt buckel - but I do not remember being struck...

What my mother taught me about controling a way ward and defiant infant or young child - was to simply take them by the arm and show them you are stronger- and YOU are in control...you don't need to make a statement with physical impact...My father refused to strike us - he would say to my mother "You do it if you must - I won't because they will hate me" _ my adult kids may not be perfect but they love me - and once you have lost their love -you have lost them FOREVER.. don't hit them - it's just stupid..

Also adults that feel powerless in the system they exist in - will come home and exert power over their mate and children..this is cowardly - if you want to be agressive - do it with your boss..not with the ones that you love - that's cowardly.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
What my mother taught me about controling a way ward and defiant infant or young child - was to simply take them by the arm and show them you are stronger- and YOU are in control...you don't need to make a statement with physical impact...
Exactly! And grabbing their arm (firmly but not enough to hurt them) is an excellent alternative to hitting to re-establish who's in charge. It's best used when a child has done something with their hands that they're not allowed to do (stealing, hitting, grabbing something after you told them not to).

But to hear some parents talk, hitting is the only way to let them know you're the boss. Getting their attention apparently isn't enough, the child must feel pain and/or fear. Why? Isn't establishing your authority and getting their attention the main objectives in teaching? Or could it be that the idea of spanking isn't to teach, just to punish?

Old 02-09-2012, 06:50 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Or could it be that the idea of spanking isn't to teach, just to punish?
Many people equate punishment with teaching.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Many people equate punishment with teaching.
That the one may be one facet of the other is possibly debatable. Equality? No.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
But to hear some parents talk, hitting is the only way to let them know you're the boss.
We need to be the boss? Why? I carry a great deal of authority. I have a great deal more experience. But my kids aren't stupid. They need to learn my authority by the value of my experience. Not by the feel of the back of my hand.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Exactly! And grabbing their arm (firmly but not enough to hurt them) is an excellent alternative to hitting to re-establish who's in charge. It's best used when a child has done something with their hands that they're not allowed to do (stealing, hitting, grabbing something after you told them not to).

But to hear some parents talk, hitting is the only way to let them know you're the boss. Getting their attention apparently isn't enough, the child must feel pain and/or fear. Why? Isn't establishing your authority and getting their attention the main objectives in teaching? Or could it be that the idea of spanking isn't to teach, just to punish?
Sometimes genetics plays strange trick on parents - we assume that our kids have the same level of intelligence as we do...sometimes a child has a much higher IQ - and knows the parent is slightly stupid - so the child intellectually decerns that the parent is not to be fully respected - Usually parents who I see hitting their kids are frustrated in the resentful and deniable fact that the kid would be better suited to be THEIR parent..and not the other way around.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
We need to be the boss? Why? I carry a great deal of authority. I have a great deal more experience. But my kids aren't stupid. They need to learn my authority by the value of my experience. Not by the feel of the back of my hand.
Dude! Baby steps! You can't just say stuff like that in front of these people... Ugh, that's okay. I'll do damage control.

Everyone, somebodynew didn't mean it. It was just a joke. We all know the parent has to be the boss

I used the word "boss" instead of "authority figure" so people would understand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting