Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2017, 11:13 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Yes, it is. And guess who imposed that ideology on us?
You're going to have to look at Merkel for that one.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Your point is not invalid, but this wasn't like she was trying to stop a Ferguson-type mob. This was a group of teenagers having a party. I'd be interested in seeing how many of us feel unsafe around a large group of kids. Seriously, have we reached a point in our society where we have to call the cops for every damned thing? You really couldn't ask your neighbor to turn the music down just because they're bigger than you?

Our society is lost if we can't have an expectation of dealing with each other without injury. Your 'land of make believe' is my reality. When this type of behavior reaches enough neighborhoods that a polite society is seen as a fairy tale by the majority of people, I'd expect there will be a tipping point in this country.
Yes, technically, they are "kids", but teens can often be much taller, much larger, much stronger than adults...especially little old ladies.

Yes, our soceity is lost. It's been lost. There's a lot of people who pretend it's not, there's a lot of people who insult you when you say that it's lost, but we can not have an expectation of dealing with each other without injury anymore. We can't go to a rally without being attacked. We can't wear certain clothing without being attacked. We can't drive down the road without being attacked. We can't say things without being attacked, etc. We do not live in a decent society anymore, and despite what the German thinks of me on this forum, the very reason is because our society will not tell the truth. It "offends" people to tell the truth.

So here's reality. It is your responsibility not to put yourself in to situations that you cannot handle if they go badly...as many of them do when you have a crowd of people who clearly do not give one spit about the rules. How many teens were there? Do you understand how groups act when they have a lot of others in their group around them?

Instead of living in "we shouldn't have to deal with this", which no longer exists, we have to face reality and protect ourselves. We have to make those decisions because the powers that be don't give a damn. Clearly.

I should be able to ask my neighbor to turn his music down without being verbally threatened. But that's not reality.

I should be able to ask my neighbor to stop banging around on the walls and screaming at the top of his lungs while he plays video games at 11 o'clock at night. But that's not reality.

I should be able to drive down the road without someone getting all huffy if they think I'm going too slow, and they tailgate me with their highbeams on instead of passing when they have plenty of opportunity to do so.

I should be able to drive down the road faster than some other cars without someone getting all huffy and speeding up when I pass them.

I should be able to tell someone that something they're doing is wrong without them threatening me or physically attacking me (latter has not happened because I know the boundaries...and despite what 'should' happen, that doesn't help me if I'm in the hospital or dead now does it?)

But it's not reality.

She should not have put herself in that situation. That does not mean, again, and again, that the little punk that threw her in to the pool gets a pass. I've said. Repeatedly. It does mean that it's time for people to wake the hell up and realize that our society hasn't been nice for awhile. You're going to get yourself hurt or killed, sometimes for even less than asking someone to turn their music down, if you put yourself in to a situation that you cannot handle if it goes bad.

As tinytrump said, you need to know where you are and what you're dealing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I can't resist adding one more thing. If that were my kid (assuming any of mine ever did something like that, which I think is highly implausible), he would NOT be going to basketball. Church and school, fine, but what it this teaching him if he gets to continue to do something he likes? He would also have no access to phone, computer (aside from school work), iPad, etc., and he would be hauling groceries and cleaning that lady's toilet.
I agree with this. When I would get grounded as a teen, (not for physical altercations, I don't hit or assault people...it was for my smart ass comments towards teachers more than anything...something that I'm sure the people of CD are so surprised to hear), I got everything taken away except school, go home to my room, and we had to go to church on Sundays. Everything was taken out of my room that might bring joy except books, because books are education. I was not allowed to go skiing if it was winter, not allowed to go to track practice or b-ball practice if during the school year despite my "team" relying on me, and I was not allowed to go to swim team practice OR races if it was in the summer. I didn't get phone calls, I didn't get to watch tv, I didn't get to play on the computer, I didn't get to listen to music...it was all gone.

Didn't teach me to respect authority without question, but it did keep me from boldly telling the teacher exactly what I thought about them for awhile after each time.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 05-12-2017 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-12-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Calling the cops on thugs leads to bad things if they find out who did it.
I've called the cops on some neighbors in this hell hole called CA where no one has any manners at all.

#1: The myth that they ask you to go do it first is false. They do not ask any such thing.

#2: They tell you that you do not have to give them your name. They only ask for the location of the noise and where you are in proximity to that noise. They do not ask for your address. They do want to know how far you are from it because it's a noise complaint.

And that's it. They do not require you to identify yourself. They do not require you to "try to handle it yourself first". They know that these things can get ugly, and they would rather you did NOT "try to handle it yourself first", because while CA is many things, at least the cops live in reality and know that we don't have a decent society anymore.

For the record, I did also call one time when I lived in FL. Again, they did not ask me if I had "talked to the person before calling", because they, too, get it. They did ask for a name, but I don't give them a real name in a call like this.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:29 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
No it won't. That's nothing. With only 21 days home detention, he is now the badass gangsta ***** of the area. This will encourage other young men to do the same to prove themselves. The sentence in this case is encouraging a thug culture.

But whatever. I'm sure I'll be labeled a racist for pointing out the bleeding obvious here. The guy was doing it to get negative attention and to prove to his gangsta buddies that he's a badasd. They're probably laughing their butts off right now.
He's lucky she wasn't armed.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:31 AM

19,845 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
21 days in home detention.

that'll show him!
She looks pretty beat up in the video, poor lady. Definitely grounds for a civil suit.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:32 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
I can't swim so yes it would be horrifying not to mention he threw her down to the cement before dragging her to the pool.
According to the information, he did not throw her unto the cement, they fell when he picked her up. Regardless, he should not have been doing any of that.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:37 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
How do none of you people know how to swim? It's an important life skill.
Yes, it's quite beyond me.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:42 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
I hope you grow old gracefully
I believe that ship has sunk.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:46 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,664,852 times
The teen was very wrong for his action, you just can't put a good spin on this one. He needs to be taught a valuable life lesson. Keep your hands off people.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:46 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Some ran and some stayed and helped her out- but to me the woman was WRONG_ leave people alone!!!- she is a CONTROL FREAK- go away-
sorry got dunked but the teen did turn himself in and did not realize he hurt her- I do not agree on either action ...but old foggies please shut up already--
No, she was asking him to turn the music down. That is her right and not only that buy she is on the board of the homeowner's association that owns the pool. You are right that he turned himself in and that is commendable, but he should not have been trying to pick up an adult anyway. His mother also apparently identified him and brought the shirt he was wearing in the video to police. Good for her!

The party was not authorized by the townhome that owned the pool. Perhaps the teens should have gotten permission.

We don't know if he lives in the townhome complex of that owns the pool either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies