Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 09:09 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
You disagree?

So if a person "walks away" from Christianity (and therefore, likely CONSERVATISM) what exactly are they turning to?

If a person "walks away" from leftism, a logical conclusion is that they are turning towards the opposite, right?

The flipside is the logical conclusion a person has to come to. It's not hard to figure out.
There are Christians who are conservative, there are Christians who are liberal. There are atheists who are conservative and atheists who are liberal.

What the heck does a religious viewpoint have to do with political perspectives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 09:09 AM

769 posts, read 783,014 times
from https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8267976.html

“The Austin bomber was involved in a teenage Christian “survivalist” group that discussed weapons and dangerous chemicals, according to a childhood friend.

Mark Anthony Conditt reportedly took part in a conservative outdoors club called Righteous Invasion of Truth (RIOT), in which home-schooled young people studied the Bible and were taught gun skills.”

Sounds like white trash ISIS to me.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:10 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
He was raised and home schooled in a devout conservative evangelical christian home. One has to wonder if he was raised to believe "the world" is evil. I'm going with, he was a religiously motivated terrorist.

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/1476...n-conservative

Old 03-22-2018, 09:12 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
The police said he was not motivated by ideology, which means he’s not a terrorist no matter how much some people want him to be.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:12 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,504,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
It is certainly possible that the bombings were politically motivated, intended to instill fear in opponents, and therefore terrorism. But the reasoning put forth, that because we call Islamist killers terrorists we must also call white men who kill terrorists to avoid being racist, is ridiculous. Make that argument and you might as well write, "kick me, I'm stupid" on a post-it and stick it on your ass.

What should we call him then? "Mentally challenged"?? When a muslim kills some are you going to consider this beautiful term "mentally challenged" before you go and call him terrorist? I think NOT.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:15 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The police said he was not motivated by ideology, which means he’s not a terrorist no matter how much some people want him to be.
Ah, and "the police" know these things....instantly! No need for weeks or months of investigation into the groups where he learned how to kill.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:17 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
What should we call him then? "Mentally challenged"?? When a muslim kills some are you going to consider this beautiful term "mentally challenged" before you go and call him terrorist? I think NOT.
What is it about this:

Quote:
ter·ror·ist
[ˈterərəst]

NOUN
a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.
... that people find so hard to comprehend?

Old 03-22-2018, 09:18 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Don't want to acknowledge that a child raised and home schooled in a conservative, evangelical christian family can become a serial bomber?

I wonder if he "wanted to watch the world burn" because he was raised to believe "the world" is evil.
No idea how you got that from what I posted. You do you...

Old 03-22-2018, 09:20 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The Austin bomber was raised and home schooled by a devout Christian family.

Quote:
"Raised by both parents in a Christian home, Conditt reportedly walked away from his faith several years ago," he said.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ber/444738002/

Kind of blows the "it is because we no longer have prayer in schools" theory out of the water.
kinda blows the 'christian terrorist' meme out of the water.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:20 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
There are Christians who are conservative, there are Christians who are liberal. There are atheists who are conservative and atheists who are liberal.

What the heck does a religious viewpoint have to do with political perspectives?
"Liberal" "Christians" (who believe in abortion and gay marriage) like "conservative" pundits like Bret Stephens (who believes in abolishing the Second Amendment and legalizing 30 million illegal aliens)?

I could claim to be a unicorn, but I will never be a unicorn. Ever.

Get the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies